How did you gain the weight?

Replies

• RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Ignored health problems and gained weight for almost 2 years. By then I had gained 25lbs. Had a full thyroidectomy due to cancer, had no meds for 3 months which = no energy. I literally slept 18-20 hours a day. Would eat while I was awake and at most do laundry. By the end I 35lbs heavier. It's been almost 2 years and I am just now done with the excuse "I had thyroid cancer". This is my body and I will take control and get rid of this unwanted weight.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Baby number 2 and then an office job where we ordered in all the time and I worked long hours. I am currently on the downward track to the how much I weighed at the end of my pregnancy. I was a very skinny girl pre-pregnancy. My husband doesn't dig the really skinny women. :noway:
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Mine was a combination of a sedentary lifestyle catching up with me, portion sizes that were double what they needed to be, and drinking beer nearly every day.
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    I just got comfortable in my relationship and then realized I need to do this for myself to live a better life. I wasn't obese but still the extra weight was not nice.

Exactly the same for me! Happy, contented relationships wreak havoc on the waistline!!!
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    I ate to much and I was lazy... bad combination LOL!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Decided to go away to school one year and gained about 12 pounds. Was eating garbage (which I always did) but I wasn't walking everywhere anymore like I was back in the city. Stayed at that weight for many years and was still in the healthy weight range.

Started working nights. Was doing fine at first but after working there for a year, I started gaining weight. Gained 15 pounds. Had NO idea because just like the first time I gained weight, no one really noticed. But---now I could technically be considered one pound overweight.

27 pounds since HS and barely anyone noticed!!! (Good thing I'm tall?) But I noticed---and that's what is the most important thing. As of this morning, I was down 20 of those pounds (didn't update yet until I see that number consistently.) Only my sister has noticed.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Changed from a shop floor job to office. Ate far too many takeaways with the new salary. And I ate while I was stressed, which my bad relationship didn't help with.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    BEER,Liquor,Wine
  • JeanSoCal
    JeanSoCal Posts: 23 Member
  • Through self hate and boredom:/
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    I ate too much, I drank too much and moved too little, for too long. Period.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    The first time I just stopped caring about what I ate and didn't participate in any sports. The second time was basic training, where I ate my weight in peanut butter every day.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    I think it's common when people get involved in relationships, that they start eating out more and not paying attention to their diet. Then it all goes away. At least that's how it's always been for me. It's hard unless your partner is on the same page as you, wanting to be aware and live a healthy lifestyle.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Always been a tubby kid, but a back injury right before starting graduate school was the kiss of death to the limited success I had been having. Oy Vey!
  • I was always about 10-20 lbs overweight fluctuating, but when I met my boyfriend in college his mother introduced me to the world of sweets. I never had a sweet tooth before that, but once my boyfriend moved in with me I was eating sweets every day. Also, my job at the time made me really depressed so it was the combination of a bad diet and drinking beer about 5 nights a week!

My boyfriend has now made the commitment to cut out sweets and junk foods as well as work out with me... he has never been a drinker. And I have also cut way back on alcohol. Maybe every two weeks or so I have either a glass of wine or brandy. So far it has been success for us, and we do not even want to go back to our old ways at all!

Edited for spelly error ;)
  • ERMBSN
    ERMBSN Posts: 32 Member
    When I as a kid I had Astma really bad. When I was 11 I weighed about 60 pounds. Beacuse of the sevarity of the attacks I was always burning calories. I went to the ER about 3 to 4 times a week. In order to gain weight I had to eat about double what others my age would eat. I just got used to eating alot.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    football injury caused me to go completely sedentary and i continued to eat like the high school lineman i was. this led to gaining over 100 lbs in a year.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    I had 5 IVFs to have a baby, and then our son had colic, acid reflux and sleep apnea (tonsils and adenoids so enlarged he could neither sleep restfully nor form words.)

He has a learning disability and a lot of time was spent finding the right schools and therapy.

He's now doing wonderfully, but I ate a lot of candy bars and donuts to quell my fears!
  • didans
    didans Posts: 42 Member
    Traveling for work and getting spoiled with the free meals that came with it. I got a little out of control in my experimenting with new cuisines. I'm back to reality now and see a different person in the mirror! Oy!
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Major confession time for me - I had a gastric sleeve operation in 2006 to help me lose weight. It did help, I have a much smaller appetite and it took me about 6-8 months to get from ~100kg to 64kg. I did not learn to exercise.

I was restricted to about a side plate of food at a time....

Then I learned to graze... and I also learned to eat the yummy stuff first (ie the bad stuff), and that I could have a side plate of chocolate or ice cream.

I am much more tolerant of myself and my body now than I ever was prior to surgery and I know my weight gain was a deliberate choice (~30kg 66lbs) in 7 years. And I know that if I had just continued to eat normally and incorporated exercise into my life that I would not be where I am now. I also realised that the skinny people I wanted to look like worked damn hard to look the way they do.

Now I am ready to work that hard. I still have appetite restriction - I can definitely not eat as much as I could prior to surgery, but I have stretched my tummy to the point that I can have more than enough bad food to gain.

I still think that overall surgery was a good option for me at the time and is a reasonable option for some - especially if they can learn good habits post surgery and incorporate that into their lives.

It is part of my growth as a person and I would not be able to be here now accepting responsibility or committing to changing my lifestyle for good, if I had not had that experience.
This discussion has been closed.