Why am i not losing!!!!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Try eating about every 3 hours.it speeds up your metabolism and also eat right and try to be as healthy as possible and stay hydrated ALWAYS =)

dead wrong - metabolism and meal timing have ZERO relationship.
  • myhazleyes
    Options
    hi
    I am new here but does anyone have info on the BODPOD testing? I had mine done and I am very confused. I recently started with a new trainer and we found out my RMR is 1900 and with activity I am at 3400....if I am only eating 1300 calories how am I not losing weight? Do I need to eat more? Am I in starvation mode? its all so overwhelming and confusing. I see my trainer tnight and hopefullyhe can shed light also...excited for my journey but nervous too! I also have thyroid issues but the endocrinologist says I am under control right now so perfect time for me to get started.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low for your level of activity! Your body has entered starvation mode and is holding onto fat stores! The more active you are, the more you're meant to eat. Do the calculations again, and be honest. Take the advice this site gives you.

Starvation mode...no. You have to not eat for days and days for your body to do that. It gets thrown around MFP all the time and its simply not accurate. There are other reasons why you might have a "stall out" or stop losing weight but that's not one of them unless your anorexic.

I agree 1200 is too low. I went to see a nutritionist a month ago and he told me women should eat around 1500-1800 calories a day to maintain their weight.

What kind of food are you eating? Are you eating a lot of carbs, fat, sugar, fast food, processed foods?

How many calories do you burn a day? Are they accurate? MFP and machines usually overestimate around 30%. A good HRM is always the way to go.

It takes -3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. That is from your TDEE. So if it were 1500(which is on the low side), your eating 1200 (Im not saying your not but without exercise for example) thats only -300 calories a day. That means it will take you almost 12 days to lose a pound of fat IF you don't slip up. Then you have to consider muscle gain-again, that gets thrown around too much too when someone is up 2-4 lbs overnight and asks about it on a topic....sigh. But you will gain a little bit from muscles over time.

I hope that helps.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I can't view your diary, so I'm not sure what you're eating, but if you are running that much, it sounds like you are not properly fueling your body. Make sure you are getting enough protein. I would bump up your calories another 200 per day and see how you do after a week.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    @jeffpettis Im running 7 miles daily, thats about 800 calories and eating 1,200 a day?

I'm not disputing the fact that you are burning a lot of calories. Sounds like you are Wonder Woman when it comes to running, but the simple fact is if you are not losing weight you are not in a deficit.

So by your reasoning should the OP try eating 800 calories with all the exercise she is getting? Because it's ONLY ever calories in and calories out. Our bodies are not at all a complex system designed to survive in times of famine. yeah, right, whatever.

I never said the OP should eat that few calories. That is a ridiculous statement.

For weight loss it is calories in - calories out. Period.

So are you suggesting that someone can eat so few calories that they will get to a point that their body will stop using fat for energy? Wait you're probably right, most people who starve to death are obese when they die... :frown:

Frankly, I'm tired of men on MFP that continually tell women who are under-eating that weight loss is ONLY calories in and calories out. Period. There are MORE THINGS GOING ON in our complex bodies, and that over-simplification of a complex system is getting fricken old. By your reasoning people would just be dropping dead of starvation left, right and centre or if they have no or slowed weight loss they are still eating too much no matter what. Our bodies are resilient and there are many biological strategies that prolong our lives, and fat stores, during times of famine. Yes, we will eventually starve and die (pretty sure I said that) but before that happens our body will preserve itself the best it can.

If this person is eating 1200 calories and people like you keep saying "it's ONLY calories in/calories out" you are indeed implying that they need to eat even less. Advice like that has KILLED women (and men) and I'm sick of it.

Just because you have a certain experience and you don't understand someone else's experience, doesn't mean that all other experiences except your own are invalid. You definitely don't know a lot about hormones and how they regulate appetite, metabolism, etc. I'm no expert either (but I devote a hell of a lot of time researching it) but there are many explanations for why someone doesn't lose weight consistently even when under-eating.
  • klkb4
    klkb4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what those 1200 calories are. Don't know your height or weight, but I'm training right now and I couldn't live on 1200 calories. Your body needs lean portien, simple and complex carbs, and good fats to be fueled for running and weight training. Eat Eat Eat!!!!! your body needs it!!! but, eat clean!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    @jeffpettis Im running 7 miles daily, thats about 800 calories and eating 1,200 a day?

I'm not disputing the fact that you are burning a lot of calories. Sounds like you are Wonder Woman when it comes to running, but the simple fact is if you are not losing weight you are not in a deficit.

So by your reasoning should the OP try eating 800 calories with all the exercise she is getting? Because it's ONLY ever calories in and calories out. Our bodies are not at all a complex system designed to survive in times of famine. yeah, right, whatever.

I never said the OP should eat that few calories. That is a ridiculous statement.

So are you suggesting that someone can eat so few calories that they will get to a point that their body will stop using fat for energy? Wait you're probably right, most people who starve to death are obese when they die... :frown:

There is a point with chronic undereating where some fat will be kept, but organs will start to be utilized. Even muscle isn't *completely* starved away when starving for so long.

Granted, OP is probably not at that point, but many people that suddenly undereat + overexercise experience hard-to-lose water retention because the body is trying to repair itself, but with minimal calories to do.

Many, many, many (let me emphasize again) many people can experience small to no loss when experiencing this situation. Calories in vs. calories out is certainly how you lose weight. However, hormones, retention, and other metabolic functions can result in stalls, small losses, and sometimes perceived "gains" (again, from water retention).

OP is not obese. Hence why she can't drop the weight from doing these practices that someone would who was obese. So bringing up, "Everyone's obese when they starve to death" isn't quite a fair analogy here.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You are not starving and storing fat. That does not happen. 1200 NET calories is a reasonable intake depending on your height. If you were "starving" and your body was using up muscle to feed itself, you most certainly could not keep up with 7 miles of running and children every day.

3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat. So, eat 500 cal/day more than you need, and in a week you will have 1 lb more fat stored on your body. Eat 500 cal/day less than you need, and you will burn 1 lb of fat in one week (500 x 7 = 3,500). Per research, you can keep doing that until you get to about 5% body fat, and then other (bad) things will start to happen.

If you have your stats in MFP set up right (always good to recheck, mine don't seem to update as I lose), it will show you what your daily intake should be to stay where you are at, and how many less calories/day you should avoid eating in order to lose weight. Add your exercise in, and that allows you to eat more in a day. It's your NET calories that is shown at the bottom of your Food Diary, and you should target a balance at the end of the day (0 "remaining"). If you go in the red one day, try to balance that another day.

Robert

Finally said so I can understand. Thanks OP and thank you Robert. :-)

No problem - glad it helps! It was not until I found out the 3,500 calorie = 1 lb of fat relationship that it "clicked" for me how a 250 cal/day deficit = 0.5 lb/week, or 500 cal/day deficit = 1 lb/week.

You can also look at your overall week and use that as a benchmark. Say you splurge one day and go 1000 cal over your goal (with a pint of Dulce de Leche maybe... :smile: ), if you come in under 250 cal less than your goal on four other days that week, you have mitigated your indulgence.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Frankly, I'm tired of men on MFP that continually tell women who are under-eating that weight loss is ONLY calories in and calories out. Period. There are MORE THINGS GOING ON in our complex bodies, and that over-simplification of a complex system is getting fricken old. By your reasoning people would just be dropping dead of starvation left, right and centre or if they have no or slowed weight loss they are still eating too much no matter what. Our bodies are resilient and there are many biological strategies that prolong our lives, and fat stores, during times of famine. Yes, we will eventually starve and die (pretty sure I said that) but before that happens our body will preserve itself the best it can.

If this person is eating 1200 calories and people like you keep saying "it's ONLY calories in/calories out" you are indeed implying that they need to eat even less. Advice like that has KILLED women (and men) and I'm sick of it.

Just because you have a certain experience and you don't understand someone else's experience, doesn't mean that all other experiences except your own are invalid. You definitely don't know a lot about hormones and how they regulate appetite, metabolism, etc. I'm no expert either (but I devote a hell of a lot of time researching it) but there are many explanations for why someone doesn't lose weight consistently even when under-eating.

wow
  • Oliveu81
    Options
    But when you enter your exercise on here you should get calories added to you daily amount and be able to eat more!
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No problem - glad it helps! It was not until I found out the 3,500 calorie = 1 lb of fat relationship that it "clicked" for me how a 250 cal/day deficit = 0.5 lb/week, or 500 cal/day deficit = 1 lb/week.

You can also look at your overall week and use that as a benchmark. Say you splurge one day and go 1000 cal over your goal (with a pint of Dulce de Leche maybe... :smile: ), if you come in under 250 cal less than your goal on four other days that week, you have mitigated your indulgence.

I forgot to add.... Remember, once we reach our goals, we are all in the same boat for the rest of our lives. We need to keep in balance. If, for example, we allow ourselves to eat 100 calories a day more (NET) than we need, that adds up to about 3,000 extra calories a month – nearly one pound of fat a month. In one year, 100 extra calories a day can produce 10.4 lbs of fat. Another way to look at it is 700 extra calories a week – or about two extra mixed drinks a week. If you enjoy drinking on the weekend like me, eat lighter during the day and make your mixed drinks part of your meal. That empty stomach will help you reach that tipsy level quicker :drinker: .

100 calories a day seems so minor, but it is how we end up creeping up in weight over time without really noticing it. If you find yourself creeping up in weight, look for little things you can cut. Take pride in your accomplishments here and enjoy them for the rest of your life.
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 160 and a co-worker on this site is 120. This site set us both at 1200 calories per day. I thought that it was curious for the both of us to be the same. Sorry I don't have any suggestion.
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OP seems to be a healthy young woman. So, too large of a calorie deficit can backfire. It's not "starvation mode" but a woman's body (if she is at a healthy weight and just looking to lose less then 15 pounds of vanity weight) will hold onto her maternal fat stores if she is at a large calorie deficit. Most people don't realize that a woman's body does not care about the "simple math' of weight loss. Our bodies are a bit more concerned about our ability to sustain another life. OP - I would set your weight loss to .5 to 1 pound a week and eat back most of your exercise calories. Also - since you are running that much be sure to stay well fueled. Training for marathons is not the time to eat low carb!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am !! ....I made it all the way up to 247 pounds eating 600-800 calories a day and yes I logged with food scale readings ...slowly upped my cals to 1700-1900 a day lost ten pounds added workout another 30 on my rest weeks I can count on a loss ! I burn excercise wise 300-400 a day ...not including juggling three toddlers and house work ....stepping off my soap box ;)

Wait, hold the phone. Are you saying you got morbidly obese eating 600-800 calories a day? Are you taking Ambien by any chance? Because people can eat during the night while on it, and not remember doing it the next day. Because you are true miracle if you gained weight while eating 600-800 a day. I am saying this with all seriousness.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Calories in vs calories out is lies lies lies, your body is smarter than math and knows what's up with that.

So I assume you have scientific evidence supporting this?

LOL! :laugh: That's a good one. I'll have to remember that one.

Yes. I like this one too. My body is smarter than math. Hmmm. I would say it is the ultimate mathematician myself! Honestly, do people think our body's are supranormal? Paranormal? I just love all the woowoo stuff that goes on in these threads sometimes!!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Here's some reference: when I needed to lose my last 3lbs, my TDEE was 1787. To lose 2lbs a week, I was to eat 1287 per day (500 under TDEE). I was very good at hitting this mark consistently, but for two weeks got stuck. Then I decided to move it to 1lb a week, bringing my calories up to 1537 per day (250 under TDEE). The last three pounds came off in three days and I'm consistently weighing in at my goal weight. This is what we mean by eating more to weigh less.

You can absolutely starve to death. Starving absolutely does not cause you to gain weight. But not eating enough can definitely slow your weight loss enough to appear to be stopped.

It's impossible that you lost 3 lbs of body fat in 3 days, just because you decided to eat 250 more calories a day. During your plateau, fat was still being lost, it just wasn't showing up on your scale yet. Great post about plateaus:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Here's some reference: when I needed to lose my last 3lbs, my TDEE was 1787. To lose 2lbs a week, I was to eat 1287 per day (500 under TDEE). I was very good at hitting this mark consistently, but for two weeks got stuck. Then I decided to move it to 1lb a week, bringing my calories up to 1537 per day (250 under TDEE). The last three pounds came off in three days and I'm consistently weighing in at my goal weight. This is what we mean by eating more to weigh less.

You can absolutely starve to death. Starving absolutely does not cause you to gain weight. But not eating enough can definitely slow your weight loss enough to appear to be stopped.

If your TDEE was 1787 then you'd have to eat 787 Calories and to lose 1 pound 1287. Losing 1/2 a pound would require 1537.
    You're right, I had the pound dropping numbers messed up. My calorie counts were correct, but the 1lb and 1/2lb you corrected was right! My body is not smarter than math...

ETA: And I didn't say it was all fat that was lost those three days. I know it was all water retention, etc. But the scale wasn't moving. The point still stands.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    OP seems to be a healthy young woman. So, too large of a calorie deficit can backfire. It's not "starvation mode" but a woman's body (if she is at a healthy weight and just looking to lose less then 15 pounds of vanity weight) will hold onto her maternal fat stores if she is at a large calorie deficit. Most people don't realize that a woman's body does not care about the "simple math' of weight loss. Our bodies are a bit more concerned about our ability to sustain another life. OP - I would set your weight loss to .5 to 1 pound a week and eat back most of your exercise calories. Also - since you are running that much be sure to stay well fueled. Training for marathons is not the time to eat low carb!

OK, say that was true. Her body is hanging onto fat stores. The energy has to come from somewhere. Where? If it is her muscles, she would still see a weight loss.

At any rate, someone creeped her and her ticker says she has actually lost 5 lbs. So this seems to be much ado about nothing.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been said, but I have to put my two cents in. Your body is holding on to every little calorie it can get, because you're giving it very little calories, and expecting it to perform miracles by putting ridiculous energy demands on it! Look in the forums, or google it, whatever, but my BMR is 1,490. That means if I laid on my butt and did nothing but breathe, I would burn that much. I don't do that, though, I burn 2,500-3,000 every day, by chasing after my 2yo, and working my butt off at home and in the gym. If I asked my body to do what it does, and only feed it 1,200 calories....it would laugh at me, and say FU. Lol.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

If your TDEE was 1787 then you'd have to eat 787 Calories and to lose 1 pound 1287. Losing 1/2 a pound would require 1537.
    You're right, I had the pound dropping numbers messed up. My calorie counts were correct, but the 1lb and 1/2lb you corrected was right! My body is not smarter than math...

ETA: And I didn't say it was all fat that was lost those three days. I know it was all water retention, etc. But the scale wasn't moving. The point still stands.

OK. But you certainly didn't make it clear in your post that you were referring to water weight. At any rate, OP thinks she is netting 400 calories a day and not loosing weight for a month[\b] and you were providing your story as an example of what might be happening to her? Forgive me, I'm a little lost.