Why am i not losing!!!!!

Options

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    OP seems to be a healthy young woman. So, too large of a calorie deficit can backfire. It's not "starvation mode" but a woman's body (if she is at a healthy weight and just looking to lose less then 15 pounds of vanity weight) will hold onto her maternal fat stores if she is at a large calorie deficit. Most people don't realize that a woman's body does not care about the "simple math' of weight loss. Our bodies are a bit more concerned about our ability to sustain another life. OP - I would set your weight loss to .5 to 1 pound a week and eat back most of your exercise calories. Also - since you are running that much be sure to stay well fueled. Training for marathons is not the time to eat low carb!

OK, say that was true. Her body is hanging onto fat stores. The energy has to come from somewhere. Where? If it is her muscles, she would still see a weight loss.

At any rate, someone creeped her and her ticker says she has actually lost 5 lbs. So this seems to be much ado about nothing.

Whether this post is fictional or not, I don't know, but your metabolism will slow down to meet energy demands. If you're only putting 1,200 calories in it, it will not burn more than that. There was a recent post from a girl who talked about eating under 1,200 calories, and she said her hair and teeth were literally falling out. Not how I want to lose weight. I eat 1,600-2,000 calories daily, sometimes more, and still lose weight/inches, depending on how much weight lifting I do.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It was less what I think was happening to her (which I do think, but don't really have enough information to really advise), but more explaining to jeffpettis what people actually mean by "eat more to weigh less." He was under the mistaken impression that people are under the mistaken impression that you can net above maintenance and still lose weight. No one thinks that. I was defining the term.
  • etbartlett
    Options
    I agree with not eating enough! I was in a similar position and when I increased calories, the weight started coming off. You may also be over-exercising, maybe take some time off from running and let your body reset!
  • lisapalla
    lisapalla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you're running that much you may not be eating enough calories - I'm on 1200 a day and do MINIMAL exercise. You should look at the calculations for someone who expends more calories out - you may just be burning muscle. I'm not in any place to say but just sayin!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It was less what I think was happening to her (which I do think, but don't really have enough information to really advise), but more explaining to jeffpettis what people actually mean by "eat more to weigh less." He was under the mistaken impression that people are under the mistaken impression that you can net above maintenance and still lose weight. No one thinks that. I was defining the term.

OK. These threads start running off in too many different directions for me to catch up. LOL
  • elainematto
    elainematto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm going to be the odd man out and say you're eating too much... You are not in a deficit. If you are doing that much cardio and not losing weight either you are eating more than you think or burning less than you think.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm going to be the odd man out and say you're eating too much... You are not in a deficit. If you are doing that much cardio and not losing weight either you are eating more than you think or burning less than you think.

THIS^^^^^^^^
  • elainematto
    elainematto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jeff. I see these comments a lot-- about eating more to lose. Does not make sense! However, it is true that as you get closer to your goal it gets harder. You're just not carrying around as many pounds. There is not as much of you to keep at 98.6. The only thing to do is to persevere and expect slower weight loss. (I may be wrong about all of this, but it's what makes sense to me) good luck! You look great, btw.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP seems to be a healthy young woman. So, too large of a calorie deficit can backfire. It's not "starvation mode" but a woman's body (if she is at a healthy weight and just looking to lose less then 15 pounds of vanity weight) will hold onto her maternal fat stores if she is at a large calorie deficit. Most people don't realize that a woman's body does not care about the "simple math' of weight loss. Our bodies are a bit more concerned about our ability to sustain another life. OP - I would set your weight loss to .5 to 1 pound a week and eat back most of your exercise calories. Also - since you are running that much be sure to stay well fueled. Training for marathons is not the time to eat low carb!

OK, say that was true. Her body is hanging onto fat stores. The energy has to come from somewhere. Where? If it is her muscles, she would still see a weight loss.

At any rate, someone creeped her and her ticker says she has actually lost 5 lbs. So this seems to be much ado about nothing.

Whether this post is fictional or not, I don't know, but your metabolism will slow down to meet energy demands. If you're only putting 1,200 calories in it, it will not burn more than that. There was a recent post from a girl who talked about eating under 1,200 calories, and she said her hair and teeth were literally falling out. Not how I want to lose weight. I eat 1,600-2,000 calories daily, sometimes more, and still lose weight/inches, depending on how much weight lifting I do.

To a certain extent maybe. But not to the tune of eating 400 net and not losing weight.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1200 is for someone who isn't doing any exercise. That defiantly not you. You should at the very least eat your exercise calories back.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Maybe run less and spend a lot of that time you used for running at the gym lifting heavy weights.

^^^ Added a few words for clarification....^^^
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the idiocy in this thread is amazing...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have been running sooo much I average 100 miles a month training for runs, I have been staying under my calorie count of 1,200 , I cant seem to drop one pound!! I'm feeling frustrated, what could the problem beeeee!!! My mother who really doesn't work out has dropped 10 pounds in two weeks, how is this possible :(

5 pounds loss in a month is an appropriate lot for someone who doesn't have a lot to lose. Not sure why you think losing 5 pounds is the same as losing nothing.
  • TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    Hey whats up I'm Mike and if there is anything I am an expert in its losing weight and gaining it back LOL.

You can do all the cardio you want but you have to add some weight training to it, make it a circuit workout if you like I have insanity and P90x' program on a hard drive if its possible to email it. I'm suggesting to send them because they work 100% and if you get tired of them they give you an idea of whats needed to work.

P.S. 9 times out of 10 you'll enjoy the programs.
    This is true, I tried spinning/running for hours to lose weight sometimes in life, but never helped me much. When I started circuiting in Contours years ago (circuit gym for women, curves sucks, they dont have real weights, I wouldnt advise), or was doing Insanity, DDPyoga, doing martial arts that incorporate strenght and cardio it helped me more in the weight/inches aspect.

But I usually lose more inches quicker than I lose weight when circuiting. Maybe you can go evaluate on a periodic basis your body composition? But measuring inches and checking mirror, taking pics helps me a lot to know if I am on the right path. Sadly cardio in the past only made me flabby/not toned and lose almost no weight.
  • ksheeler13
    ksheeler13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue- I work out for 2 hours a day 600 700 cal a day 6 times a week and wt training. I am adding my cal from working out - I try to eat a lot but I am so worried I am not going to loose. I also think i don't eat enough after the workout and then try to fill the calories at night. I think that is also effecting my wt. I have only lost 8 pounds since sept 6th. If you look at your picture you look so different so I think you need to start to measure your self. you don't look like you need to loose that much but all the running must be helping the look of your body.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    the idiocy in this thread is amazing...

Welcome to mfp, you must be new!
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Starting doing your research..... Here's a sight that'll explain it...it's a start, but you need to do the calculations...what your body needs at rest, what your body needs doing exercise, etc....

http://optimalbodyweight.com/qa/weight-loss-tips/body/starvation-mode-weight-loss
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Starting doing your research..... Here's a sight that'll explain it...it's a start, but you need to do the calculations...what your body needs at rest, what your body needs doing exercise, etc....

http://optimalbodyweight.com/qa/weight-loss-tips/body/starvation-mode-weight-loss

An alernative viewpoint:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat percentage calculated? There may not be enough on you to lose.
  • omnomnomicon
    Options
    Try using measuring tape. I ran for a year, never lost a pound, but I did lose quite a few inches. Off arms, waist, thighs... Tracking measurements is extra motivation once you start trading fat for muscle, and the scale doesn't move.

Also, 1200 is a bit low, really bare minimum. You might want to go a bit higher. You want to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.