How on earth do I stop the after dinner snacking?!

Options

Replies

• EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

^^ this.. put on your grown-up pants and "just do it"
    Brilliant advice from the 22 and 24 year old... Please...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for these comments
  • belgd
    belgd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to snack too so I plan it out so that I can snack and not go over my cals. Also, try not to buy any bad snacks in the first place. If you don't bring em home and they aren't in your home.. you obviously won't eat them. (:
  • Aishteru85
    Aishteru85 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lighter breakfast and lunch and usually leave about 600 cals for dinner and snacks. You dont have to stop just opt for a lower cal alternative for example i eat chocolate for snacks but i buy the sugarless kind, gluten free and low in carbs. Ice cream I buy the light version where one good serving is about 60-80 cals. You can snack, no problem but opt for the healthier versions of the things that you like and they taste just as good, if not better. Good Luck.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you know you want a snack after dinner. So do I. just plan for it and have some already made up baggies of portioned out pretzels, or apple slices, or a greek yogurt, or even have a packet of oatmeal. There is nothing wrong with snacking after dinner. When you deprive yourself, you tend to eat more calories because you get hungry and then its your growling stomach pains vs whatever is in sight. Your body never stops metabolizing so feed it. Drink your water too, sometimes when we feel hungry its actually our bodies saying hydrate me.
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I can't help eating snacks straight after dinner! Crackers, peanut butter, crisps, yoghurt, just whatever I have in my house. Calories wise its like a eat 2 meals at once, my normal dinner (550 cals) then snacks (400)... This is really bad for my diet but I can't take my hands... I already tried drinking tea and chewing gum.. It doesn't work...

Any tips, tricks, or words of wisdom?! :)
    I was wondering if you were doing any better
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    18 months in, 120 pounds lost and I still struggles with late night munchies.

What usually works for me is going to the gym instead of watching TV. If I need a break from the gym, I try to pamper myself a bit...hot bubble bath, pedicure/manicure and facial. It is also harder to eat playing video games, then watching TV.

You can try logging before you eat and just taking one serving at a time. Instead of sitting down with a bag of chips, weigh out an ounce, log it, eat it...repeat if necessary.

I also keep sugar free Jell-o prepared. I can eat a huge filling bowl for only 80 calories.

Best wishes.
  • Code7526
    Options
    If you want to snack after dinner, snack on hard boiled eggs and apples. Keep a tray of hard boiled eggs and apples in your fridge and after dinner if you feel like snacking snack on hard boiled eggs and apples. Apples will help your sugar cravings and hard boiled eggs help you feel satisfied as protein is an appetite suppressant.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    I can't help eating snacks straight after dinner! Crackers, peanut butter, crisps, yoghurt, just whatever I have in my house. Calories wise its like a eat 2 meals at once, my normal dinner (550 cals) then snacks (400)... This is really bad for my diet but I can't take my hands... I already tried drinking tea and chewing gum.. It doesn't work...

Any tips, tricks, or words of wisdom?! :)
    Save calories for eating snacks at night then. That's what I do. I eat all the way up till 11:30pm. However I do skip breakfast every morning and resume eating after 12pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KCW37
    KCW37 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i bought flavored teas they help so much
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Stop eating that kind of food. Dont purchase it either. That food seems to be the kind that you cant just stop at one, coz it tastes good. Since you cant just stop at one, dont even start. I also believe the manufacturers of that food make it so good that you want more. it has ingredients that dont satisfy you , it makes you want more.

so just say no and problem solved. substitute something else more filling like fiber. Also stop doing whatever you are doing while eating snacks. if its your watching tv, and you have to have mindless snacking, then get up and dont watch tv, but do something that gets you away from it.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. The number ONE reason why people regain weight is because they abstain from foods they like for a dieting period, then reintroduce them. It's a lot smarter to be able to fit those foods in and learn moderation so that binging and craving doesn't get out of hand.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Stop eating that kind of food. Dont purchase it either. That food seems to be the kind that you cant just stop at one, coz it tastes good. Since you cant just stop at one, dont even start. I also believe the manufacturers of that food make it so good that you want more. it has ingredients that dont satisfy you , it makes you want more.

so just say no and problem solved. substitute something else more filling like fiber. Also stop doing whatever you are doing while eating snacks. if its your watching tv, and you have to have mindless snacking, then get up and dont watch tv, but do something that gets you away from it.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. The number ONE reason why people regain weight is because they abstain from foods they like for a dieting period, then reintroduce them. It's a lot smarter to be able to fit those foods in and learn moderation so that binging and craving doesn't get out of hand.

IDEA Fitness member

I kind of agree with both people here. I think that if you are someone who will eat nonstop while you are doing something else then you should either stop doing that thing and do something else, or stop having the stuff in your house that you can't stop eating. I do not think you should stop having the stuff long term though. Lets say chips. If you eat a family size bag of chips everyday and can not stop until the chips are gone, then you should not buy the chips anymore for a few weeks to about a month. Then you should limit the amount of chips you buy when you go to the store. I think you should slowly train yourself to eat less of what you like. If you decide on an amount of chips to buy for the week and say that is all you can have of those chips for that week then do not buy anymore than that amount. If you eat all of those chips in one day then you cannot have anymore chips for the rest of the week. If you stick to that rule for several weeks, you should eventually learn to eat smaller amounts of what you like. So eventually you will no longer be gobbling down whatever you are gobbling down after dinner right now. Good luck with whatever you try to do.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    I typically drink hot tea with a tablespoon honey or stevia every night. ( This has replaced my wine lol) if I am super hungry I alway budget a couple 100 calories to have a snack in the evening if needed. Hope that helps.:happy:
  • tymberh
    tymberh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Personally what I did when I wanted to stop snacking after dinner is I started eating late in evening, like 7:00 pm, then slowly moved the time up to 5:30 pm, my body adjusted slowly and I was no longer hungry after dinner!
  • Mrsko79
    Mrsko79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Night eating is the hardest for me. I suffer from insomnia most days, even after a full day of activities and work outs! I eat my dinner early because my husband leaves for work early.. I eat a satisfying meal, I make sure I have enough calories left for a dessert, and a snack. And since I'm really trying to loose weight, I stopped eating ANYTHING after 9. My after dinner snacks are: fruit, salad, any kind of snackable veggies, fat free dressings, cottage cheese, low calorie popcorn, and even a small bowl of cereal with low cal almond milk.

I can say it seems It has gotten easier with time.

I also like tea and to watch or read some motivational weight loss stories. It helps me! Goodluck everyone
  • tymberh
    tymberh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

Brilliant advice from the 22 and 24 year old... Please...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for these comments

I really dis-appreciate the age discrimination here (on this site in particular) , although I do not agree with their comments, everyone has a different maturity level NO MATTER WHAT YOUR AGE IS. It's personality not age. People who are 50 yrs old that act 40 yrs old don't get discrimination even though it's the same as a 22 yr old acting like a 12 yr old. Don't discriminate age, everyone is at a different point in their life. I'm only 18 (19 in 2 weeks) and have been through things that people never have to go through, don't judge off of age. I'm a college student, health care career job, cancer survivor that lives on her own. Everyone has different experiences in life, understand that.
  • karireyn
    karireyn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find drinking a ton of water throughout the day helps keep me full so I don't feel the need to snack late at night. I usually drink 12-14 cups a day or 112 oz. Also make sure your dinner is packed with protein so that it stays fuller. And then, like others have said-just stop buying those snacks. We have a few things here and there, but I know my self-control is low when it comes to treats so I just keep them out of the house. It keeps me on track and helps my husband eat healthier-even if he doesn't know it :) Good luck!
  • emitinpink
    emitinpink Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.
    That's kind of useless advice, don't ya think?
  • emitinpink
    emitinpink Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

If we could all "just do it" this website wouldn't exist...
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    1. Replace your snacks. I go for roasted almonds, wasabi beans, dark chocolate (individually wrapped squares), whole-wheat sesame crackers. All these are about 30-50 calories each.
    2. If you eat so many calories, then treat it like another meal and redistribute calories accordingly (shave off 50-100 of the other meals)
    3. This may be somewhat controversial but it worked very well for me. When I snack over my limit at night I just log it for the next morning breakfast. This for some might have side-effects as it would limit their intake for the following day and get them severely frustrated. But in my case, it just held me "accountable". Now when I want to snack I automatically think of just how hungry I'll be the next day when I'll have no food for breakfast, and that stops me. Depends on the person, but it's worth a try.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Save extra calories for the late night snacking. Night time is my favorite time to eat.