Doctor Says Phentermine Long Term Not a Problem....Really?

Options

Replies

• PCOS_Gal
    Options
    You are claiming that YOUR advice is the way to handle this. And you are arrogantly assuming YOU are right via scant information on someone from a message board and that my nutritionist (who helped me get pregnant x2 and manage my PCOS) is somehow incompetent...again..arrogant to assume such not to mention extremely inaccurate. The doctor, however, is up for debate given his long term phentermine stance as why I made the OP.

Again, I am not avoiding eating the things you stated...as I pointed out in a previous posts. Please go back and read. I struggle with hunger ( as well as other women with PCOS) because of what I stated before...the biology of it...please re-read that as well.

I haven't experienced unsustainable weight loss either in the traditional sense...as I said (I think 4 times now) I was able to keep the weight off before, it was pregnancy that caused the gain and an inability to return back to my diet plan while I was breast feeding. Please re-read that again.

You are glazing over alot of information that has previously been stated in your furry to state that "You don't need medicine" and "Low carb will fix your hunger" beat. And Again, my post wasn't to get diet and exercise advice form anyone. I wanted to confirm long term use of phentermine as stated by the doctor.

So no more lectures/posts please on how I have an incompetent nutritionist and what I am doing isn't sustainable and that I don't need medicine and wouldn't be hungry if I am doing X, Y, Z. It is obvious you have a bias against taking medicine and have no problem expressing your judgements on people who use it.... and you don't know what you are talking about in the arena of facts on why it is used and how it helps people.....just that you feel it is speed and bad for you. I get it. move on...you are beating a dead horse here.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This whole debate about people shouldn't take phentermine is very silly. It is like trying to convince someone not to take a Tylenol when they have a headache cause there is a risk they could hurt their liver or tell someone not to take birth control pills because they could get a blood clot.

There is no reason for me not to take phentermine if it is helpful and safe.... or anyone else who wanted to for that matter. I am surprised at the judgement regarding this drug and the statement "You wouldn't need it if you did low carb". If just going low carb worked for me at this stage I OBVIOUSLY would not be seeking additional help. If this medicine makes it easier to stick to a diet and a plan and keep me motivated and get back into a habit of a low carb liefstyle...why wouldn't I use it? People do many things to help them behaviorally to lose weight and this is no different...other than the apparent hysteria and ignorance surrounding this medicine.

AGAIN, I UNDERSTAND WHAT IT TAKES AS FAR AS DIET AND EXERCISE....I AM NOT NEW TO THIS! Please quit telling me what I need to do. I am seeing a doctor and a nutritionist as well as exercising when I can in between taking care of a baby and a preschooler. I am not here asking advice on diet and exercise. I was very specific on what I was asking in the OP.

Also, as I stated before, being low carb isn't the magic pill of beating hunger when you have PCOS and are overweight or obese. The closer women get to an ideal weight the less their body responds to hunger and insulin. This based in biology and not a matter of will power.

Women with PCOS, weight gain is mostly due to high levels of insulin circulating in the blood. Cells normally absorb glucose with the help of insulin. When cells don’t respond normally to insulin, your body produces even more insulin, to “force” the cells into responding. When insulin levels rise, other hormonal changes can lead to increased appetite and decreased fat burning, which lead to weight gain. As you lose weight this hormonal and insulin response decreases, thus so does your hunger. And a persons hunger level is totally different from person to person based on the level of hormonal imbalance and insulin resistance. Thus, your "Just eat low carb" doesn't always work for every person as far as hunger control. That is great it worked for you....but please do not be so judgmental with regards to other people and assume they are doing something wrong, not doing enough with their diet or exercise plan or don't have enough will power.

I GUESS YOU MISSED THE PART WHERE I SAID I HAVE PCOS and am INSULIN RESISTANT. I WAS MORBIDLY OBESE...265 LBS. I DID NOT NEED PHENTERMINE OR ANY OTHER "BEHAVIOURAL" MEDICATION TO FOLLOW A LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET AND LOSE OVER 100 POUNDS.

MY SUCCESS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "WILLPOWER" AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH EATING CORRECTLY FOR MY HEALTH ISSUES AND EXERCISING REGULARLY, AND IN THE PROPER MANNER.

YOU CLEARLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO DIET AND EXERCISE PROPERLY IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED PHENTERMINE TO AID YOU IN YOUR EFFORTS. YOU ALSO MENTION THAT YOU ARE A YO-YO DIETER--MORE EVIDENCE THAT YOU DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO THIS PROPERLY.

So....I guess since I am taking phentermine as well I should just give up and stop dieting and exercising, just give up any hope of losing weight because I clearly have no idea what I'm doing....interesting...
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    This whole debate about people shouldn't take phentermine is very silly. It is like trying to convince someone not to take a Tylenol when they have a headache cause there is a risk they could hurt their liver or tell someone not to take birth control pills because they could get a blood clot.

There is no reason for me not to take phentermine if it is helpful and safe.... or anyone else who wanted to for that matter. I am surprised at the judgement regarding this drug and the statement "You wouldn't need it if you did low carb". If just going low carb worked for me at this stage I OBVIOUSLY would not be seeking additional help. If this medicine makes it easier to stick to a diet and a plan and keep me motivated and get back into a habit of a low carb liefstyle...why wouldn't I use it? People do many things to help them behaviorally to lose weight and this is no different...other than the apparent hysteria and ignorance surrounding this medicine.

AGAIN, I UNDERSTAND WHAT IT TAKES AS FAR AS DIET AND EXERCISE....I AM NOT NEW TO THIS! Please quit telling me what I need to do. I am seeing a doctor and a nutritionist as well as exercising when I can in between taking care of a baby and a preschooler. I am not here asking advice on diet and exercise. I was very specific on what I was asking in the OP.

Also, as I stated before, being low carb isn't the magic pill of beating hunger when you have PCOS and are overweight or obese. The closer women get to an ideal weight the less their body responds to hunger and insulin. This based in biology and not a matter of will power.

Women with PCOS, weight gain is mostly due to high levels of insulin circulating in the blood. Cells normally absorb glucose with the help of insulin. When cells don’t respond normally to insulin, your body produces even more insulin, to “force” the cells into responding. When insulin levels rise, other hormonal changes can lead to increased appetite and decreased fat burning, which lead to weight gain. As you lose weight this hormonal and insulin response decreases, thus so does your hunger. And a persons hunger level is totally different from person to person based on the level of hormonal imbalance and insulin resistance. Thus, your "Just eat low carb" doesn't always work for every person as far as hunger control. That is great it worked for you....but please do not be so judgmental with regards to other people and assume they are doing something wrong, not doing enough with their diet or exercise plan or don't have enough will power.

I GUESS YOU MISSED THE PART WHERE I SAID I HAVE PCOS and am INSULIN RESISTANT. I WAS MORBIDLY OBESE...265 LBS. I DID NOT NEED PHENTERMINE OR ANY OTHER "BEHAVIOURAL" MEDICATION TO FOLLOW A LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET AND LOSE OVER 100 POUNDS.

MY SUCCESS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "WILLPOWER" AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH EATING CORRECTLY FOR MY HEALTH ISSUES AND EXERCISING REGULARLY, AND IN THE PROPER MANNER.

YOU CLEARLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO DIET AND EXERCISE PROPERLY IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED PHENTERMINE TO AID YOU IN YOUR EFFORTS. YOU ALSO MENTION THAT YOU ARE A YO-YO DIETER--MORE EVIDENCE THAT YOU DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO THIS PROPERLY.

So....I guess since I am taking phentermine as well I should just give up and stop dieting and exercising, just give up any hope of losing weight because I clearly have no idea what I'm doing....interesting...

I don't recall ever addressing you...

No worries, you're all doing it exactly right. Enjoy your phentermine, and I will enjoy Darwinism.
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This whole thread was sooooooo much fun. I laughed so hard I was crying!:laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I don't recall ever addressing you...

No worries, you're all doing it exactly right. Enjoy your phentermine, and I will enjoy Darwinism.

[thatescalatedquickly.gif]
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought. If you don't trust your doctor to tell you the truth about your treatment - get a 2nd opinion and stop asking questions on here. :drinker: Good luck.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    That was the determination ohhh soo many posts ago before it got derailed by the great phentermine debate and judgments went flying it is bad and that if people use it they must not be eating right and exercising right or they wouldn't need it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I yo-yo-ed cause I got pregnant x2...not because the phentermine. I was able to keep the weight off after I used phentermine up until the time I got pregnant again.

Thanks for pointing out how people gain weight.....I didn't know that.

hi - oh ok - well still the calorie deficit is still true. thats what i wanted to point out as my point as being important.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    To the OP, by the way, why not get a 2nd opinion from a doctor who is there in real life, not some people on the internet who are not there in real life to actually be there. i mean really, we cant measure your blood pressure, take your temperature or anything. how are we going to be able to tell you a 2nd opinion that your doctor - whom we have also not met in real life - is correct or not?

I think you should get a 2nd opinion from a doc in real life - not the internet.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    To the OP, by the way, why not get a 2nd opinion from a doctor who is there in real life, not some people on the internet who are not there in real life to actually be there. i mean really, we cant measure your blood pressure, take your temperature or anything. how are we going to be able to tell you a 2nd opinion that your doctor - whom we have also not met in real life - is correct or not?

I think you should get a 2nd opinion from a doc in real life - not the internet.

I didn't ask for a medical opinion or advice.... although plenty of people were willing to give me theirs not to mention diet and exercise advice....again which I never asked for....as well as give me unsolicited opinions on how I was terrible to my body cause I was taking phentermine and must be doing something wrong if I needed to take it....again...was never even remotely a question or concern in the OP, but none the less, the the thread got derailed by those comments as well.

I wanted to know for those that had been on phentermine if they had ever heard of what my doctor had told me to better gauge if this was a legitimate statement or not by my doctor or if he was possible a quack or out of his mind. I am sorry so many people are having a hard time figuring this out as the OP was in plain English..... or so I thought.

Again, if there is any confusion, read the OP.....then maybe read it again....then once more for good measure.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    http://livertox.nih.gov/Phentermine.htm

This states that it has only recently been approved for long term use rather than the recommended 12 weeks. Which is possibly why you are struggling to find out any long term studies on it.

This is under the brand name - Qsymia

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm312468.htm
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    why are people still bothering to comment on this thread. the OP has made it quite clear that she really doesn't want to hear anything from anyone about anything relevant. it's rare to find someone that rejects all opinions, even those from people that are in a similar situation and have been successful. and yet, here we are.

whatevs

i4OCLKK.gif
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    OP if the information I posted above is infact incorrect. Then the doctor should be able to point you in the right direction of studies that have shown the long term effects of taking Phen without a break. If they have been conducted.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    This whole thread was sooooooo much fun. I laughed so hard I was crying!:laugh:

It is kind of amusing isn't it? "Please give me some advice on this, I want to know if its safe to take long term"..."Wait I don't to hear anything negative about it, I said I wanted to hear its OK to take".."Aren't you listening? I think its perfectly safe! Now someone, tell me its safe!"... "Hey, I said I only wanted to hear its OK, what is all this diet stuff? I do diets, but tell me this drug is safe!"..."I don't want to hear any negative comments about this drug, I was just checking to verify my doctors opinion with random nameless people online I dont know, and if you aren't verifying his opinion, shut up already, I want to hear its safe!"
  • dux1fan
    dux1fan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was told it was ok to take Phen for as long as I want. I now have a hole in my heart valve which I now need to take medication for the rest of my life.

Yes, go ahead and take it because your doctor said it was OK!!

THE END!!!!
  • NonnyMary
    Options

I didn't ask for a medical opinion or advice.... although plenty of people were willing to give me theirs not to mention diet and exercise advice....again which I never asked for....as well as give me unsolicited opinions on how I was terrible to my body cause I was taking phentermine and must be doing something wrong if I needed to take it....again...was never even remotely a question or concern in the OP, but none the less, the the thread got derailed by those comments as well.

I wanted to know for those that had been on phentermine if they had ever heard of what my doctor had told me to better gauge if this was a legitimate statement or not by my doctor or if he was possible a quack or out of his mind. I am sorry so many people are having a hard time figuring this out as the OP was in plain English..... or so I thought.

Again, if there is any confusion, read the OP.....then maybe read it again....then once more for good measure.

Hi - I read your opening paragraph. Thank you but I already said what I wanted to say - get a 2nd opinion from another doctor who can see you in real life.. not faceless internet people like me.

I actually just took Qsymia which is a combo of phentermine and topomax, and got severe constipation from it, and the other effect was it felt like my adrenaline was constantly kicked in, and soda pop tasted very chemical to me and i talked like a chatterbox, and for now the 6th day im still recovering from the effects of dehydrahtion/constipation from the Qsymia, so i do not recommend it on the higher dose they give you, or i dont know, maybe not even on the low dose, and thats my personal experience, so i personally do not recommend it.

however, since i am stubborn, i am like you in the way that i dont let anyone tell me what to do - i try it myself to see, and i listen to my body - if it gives me bad effects - i stop it - with the advice of the doctor.

thats my advice to you.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    Again...a second opinion was already stated as what was going to happen ohhh sooooo many posts ago.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with phentermine and topomax.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    Yes, I was told it was ok to take Phen for as long as I want. I now have a hole in my heart valve which I now need to take medication for the rest of my life.

Yes, go ahead and take it because your doctor said it was OK!!

THE END!!!!

Phentermine alone has never cause a hole in any valves. Only when it was combined with fenfluramine was it known to cause heart valve problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    http://livertox.nih.gov/Phentermine.htm

This states that it has only recently been approved for long term use rather than the recommended 12 weeks. Which is possibly why you are struggling to find out any long term studies on it.

This is under the brand name - Qsymia

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm312468.htm

Thanks so much for this link! Much appreciated!
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    why are people still bothering to comment on this thread. the OP has made it quite clear that she really doesn't want to hear anything from anyone about anything relevant. it's rare to find someone that rejects all opinions, even those from people that are in a similar situation and have been successful. and yet, here we are.

whatevs

*Troll*
This discussion has been closed.