I don't go to gym's...

Options

Replies

• ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    No gym for me. Much cheaper, easier and efficient for me to workout at home!
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have never set foot in a gym before. There is none in my area. I do all my own exercises, inside and outside. I just bought my own simple weight bench to help with strength training. I have lost 85lbs to date.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Kinda disappointed in this thread. I thought it was going to be something like: I don't go to gyms...

But when I do, they are made of bacon and all the girls squat heavy or something.
  • toniwoo88
    toniwoo88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym. It's not a full sized gym but not small by far. I don't like people taking forever on a machine either, but I am on the mix3 elliptical for 40 minutes, so other people may think I take too long. Other than that my experience at this gym has been far more successful than at any other gym because I am determined to not let anything stop me from gttn this weight off. Is one machine is taken I'll go on to something else. When it comes to everyone trying to outdo everyone, I haven't experienced that. But I work out at home as well but the gym is my personal time away from the lil one lol. Mommies only personal me time.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I heart my gym. I rarely have to wait for a power rack to become available and there are almost always lots of cardio bunnies to watch between sets.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the gym. Here is why:

I really enjoy the classes they are a great way of meeting new people who have similar interests. My instructor is a personal trainer so routines are well balanced, he also corrects my form and pushes me harder than working out by myself. It gives me new workout ideas and changes up my routine.

I do not have the money or space for workout equipment at home and even if I did it would probably become a clothes rack. When I am at home I have little motivation. I guess my couch just calls my name.

I live near Detroit so in the winter cardio outside can be tricky so the gym allows me to continue to have a balanced workout of cardio, heavy lifting and circuit training.

I understand why some are not fans of the gym I say it doesnt matter where you workout as long as you are accomplishing your goals.
  • paulygi
    paulygi Posts: 58
    Options
    Wow some people get pretty upset when you talk about a gym. Its just a room with equipment you can't afford to get all together.

I think of the Rocky film where he trains with the logs in the snow and chopping wood, etc. And the Russian is using all the digital crap machines. Who won again, the guy with heart. The world is your gym and the membership is free.

I excercise in nature and I love it.
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs (so far) by hitting the pavement with my two feet and attending Zumba at a local community center. I'm going to start toning with some weights at home. I don't feel like I need to spend money on a gym membership now. That may change at some point but for now, I'm good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wow some people get pretty upset when you talk about a gym. I

maybe it had something to do with the excessively condescending tone he used to describe the people that attend the gym.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym everyday, met so many fit and fun people and would be lost without it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, and I haven't since I got out of the military. I run around my neighborhood and use free weights I have at home.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well, working out at home is so much better than not working out at all.. But working out at the gym is better..

... What?
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I spent a long time convincing myself that I'd hate the gym and that I'd be out of place, that everyone would be looking at me, that I was too fat for the gym etc. 6 months ago (and 60 pounds ago) I started at the gym and can honestly say that nobody has ever stared at me or made me feel out of place and I was really out of shape when I started. I do have freeweights at home though and do that too, but I really enjoy the gym because it gets me out of the house and I'm 100% focused on my workout when I'm there, plus I can do different things than I'd do at home (use resistance tubes to attempt pull ups, warm up out on the rower instead of boring treadmill every day etc).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a gym for 13 years. I don't like that everybody wants to be better than the other. I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast. I don't like the people taking forever at a machine. ....

I've never seen the gym as a competition. Personally, the rare times I work out in the gym I don't even notice anyone around me, nor could give a crap what people think. My personal preference is to workout at home anyway, as I have a nice setup. I've admittedly been spoiled by this and would honestly probably not be in the shape I'm in if I had to deal with driving to a gym & deal ing with the annoyances (which there are) to just get a workout.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I think of the Rocky film where he trains with the logs in the snow and chopping wood, etc. And the Russian is using all the digital crap machines. Who won again, the guy with heart. The world is your gym and the membership is free.

Of course he won. It's a movie.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I go to a fitness center, and I've never seen anyone competing. Guess I'm lucky (or unobservant).
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I went to gyms for 11 years and recently started working out at home in my basement after getting some equipment together. Both have their pros and cons. It's a matter of what you want to accomplish and how you want to accomplish it. For me now with kids at home, I like working out at home and not having to go anywhere. When it was just my wife and I at home, we would go to the gym and workout together, it was a fun outing. Just depends on what you like.

I never cared what anyone else was doing at the gym. Lots of guys were bigger than me, lots were smaller, some were extremely fat, some just talked the whole time, whatever I didn't care, I did my thing and went home. Now I just stay home and workout, just more convenient for me at this time in my life. Nothing wrong with either one to me, just as long as you're doing something to stay in shape.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise outside by running, walking, hiking, etc. I go to a class here and there in bad weather and that is always fun to try something new and meet some people with similar interests. I don't lift heavy weights, but if I did I'd probably choose to go to a gym. I don't think I would care that other people might think I'm weak or taking too long to get set up; I'd be there to learn and improve. I hope you can clear your mind enough to focus on the good that working out brings and forget about all the petty stuff.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You don't go to gym's what?

grammar-nazi_c_254474.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You don't go to gym's what?

He doesn't go to gym's SIR.