Gain a pound or so from eating a small amount of chocolate?

Options

Replies

• Krissypantz
    Options
    Modified sugar is toxic, carbohydrates that turn into sugar..not so much.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Toxic? That's a pretty serious claim.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    You didn't gain a pound from eating a few bites of chocolate.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out how you lost so much weight in 7 months!! lol I am at 40lbs lost and done that in like 6 months. :) great job anyways!!
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know most people here are saying it's not possible, but it happens to me too so I believe you.

Although it is not an actual weight GAIN (more like a fluctuation), in my case I have come to learn that because I am insulin resistant, my body reacts different to good and bad foods. When I eat something such as chocolate, my body holds onto my fat stores and I weigh heavier.

I can remember going to see my doctor before finding out about the insulin resistance and saying "but I just have to LOOK at a chocolate bar and I gain 2kg". While this might be an exaggeration lol, that is exactly how my body reacts to chocolate and high sugar, unhealthy foods.

I'm sure that if you go back to your usual diet, the pound you gained will disappear as quick as it came.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    You can not gain actual weight as long as you are in a caloric deficit.
    It's not the sugar "shocking" your body (wth anyways) and it's not you missing any veggies.
    If you didn't go over your calorie allowance it's just a simple fluctuation. Don't stress over it.

The approximate amount of chocolate you would need to eat in proportion to body size to gain a pound (just from chocolate):
    599.gif
    What the heck is that?
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lies
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if it's modified with arsenic or strychnine it is. It's good you've cut those ones out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Ok so what I mean is, I stay within my calories and have lost 62 lbs in the last 7 months. I made some major changes to my diet. For one, I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies, and its been working great. This past week I have had a small piece of a chocolate bar, went to the movies and had 5 mini reese's piece bites, and had another small piece of a chocolate bar the other day. Very small amounts here. I normally don't eat chocolate at all, and when I had these they were all in my calorie intake, I did not go over. So why does it feel like I am a pound heavier?

The scale also shows a pound heavier. I know this isn't all in my head before any of you say this. I know exactly when my body gains "anything" by the way I feel. I don't know how but I can just tell. I'm sure there are many of you like this as well.

They say its not what you eat but how much you eat of it. Anyone else have this not apply to them? It's safe to say that now I will not be having little bites of anything unless it's on cheat day.
    Low carbing reduces glycogen/water storage. Reintroduction to them increases glycogen/water storage. Unless you plan to eat that way the rest of your life, expect any weight gain with reintroduction with carbs.
    And sugar isn't toxic. If it was, then ANY carb you eat should be poisoning you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you were restricting sugars and then splurged a wee bit on some sugar, you triggered an insulin response. The body says "woowee, we got glucose down here!" and the pancreas says "alrighty then, I'll pump out some quick insulin to convert that to energy!"

A side feature of a large insulin response is excessive water retention. I wouldn't get too upset over it, but it's good to understand how it works, so you can expect it. I personally never bloated from sodium, but let me eat sugar, drink a beer(carb) or steal a slice of pizza(bigger carb)...and I'm pufferfish the next day.

As a side-note to that, I'm borderline diabetic and insulin resistant.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies

Wut? :frown:

Yeah. That's why they make rat poison out of it. :bigsmile:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies

49107-polar-bear-wut-YBJn_zps89c090aa.jpeg

^^ this
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ok so what I mean is, I stay within my calories and have lost 62 lbs in the last 7 months. I made some major changes to my diet. For one, I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies, and its been working great. This past week I have had a small piece of a chocolate bar, went to the movies and had 5 mini reese's piece bites, and had another small piece of a chocolate bar the other day. Very small amounts here. I normally don't eat chocolate at all, and when I had these they were all in my calorie intake, I did not go over. So why does it feel like I am a pound heavier?

The scale also shows a pound heavier. I know this isn't all in my head before any of you say this. I know exactly when my body gains "anything" by the way I feel. I don't know how but I can just tell. I'm sure there are many of you like this as well.

They say its not what you eat but how much you eat of it. Anyone else have this not apply to them? It's safe to say that now I will not be having little bites of anything unless it's on cheat day.

sugar isn't toxic for our bodies. anything in excess is harmful. if sugar was toxic to our bodies, then we could die from eating a banana or even oatmeal.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    sl1qua.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Untrue. All carbs (which is sugar) are broken down EXACTLY the same way by the body. The body reduces all carbs down to it's simplest form then absorbs it regardless of source. This isn't disputed by any Journals of Medicine, Physiology or Nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If you went the movies, you probably had some extra salt. Your body easily could simply be holding onto some h2o for that sodium excess. Relax. :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I know most people here are saying it's not possible, but it happens to me too so I believe you.

Although it is not an actual weight GAIN (more like a fluctuation), in my case I have come to learn that because I am insulin resistant, my body reacts different to good and bad foods. When I eat something such as chocolate, my body holds onto my fat stores and I weigh heavier.

I can remember going to see my doctor before finding out about the insulin resistance and saying "but I just have to LOOK at a chocolate bar and I gain 2kg". While this might be an exaggeration lol, that is exactly how my body reacts to chocolate and high sugar, unhealthy foods.

I'm sure that if you go back to your usual diet, the pound you gained will disappear as quick as it came.

Sigh
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole chocolate bar at times and I don't gain.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I knew someone would say that. And of course we can speculate many variables. But doesn't it make sense? Since I cut out sugar completely. Shocking the system maybe? I don't know. That's why I posted here.

You don't gain weight from "shocking the system." You gain a pound of fat if you eat 3500 more calories than you burn. There is no other way. You can gain a pound on the scale by drinking a couple of glasses of water. Two glasses of water weigh a pound.

You're being ridiculous. Sugar is not "toxic." We in the first world eat too much of it, but but is not "toxic." If you enjoyed a few bites of chocolate, you'll be just fine, and it absolutely cannot make you gain a pound.