Why are nurses obese?

Options

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I would say stress - they have a really hard job.
  • jewelee61
    Options
    I worked in endocrinology for about 1 1/2 years before the MD retired. I talked to a lot of people over the phone who don't know I am obese. I can still offer my knowledge to these people without being judgmental. When I have to talk to patient's in the office and they can see I am obese. I will still talk to them about diet & exercise, but I do it in an empathic way, understanding their frustrations, not judging them because they have tried, but not succeeded. I also know that in most cases when a patient tells me that they are watching what they eat and not losing weight, they are not being honest with either themselves or with me or they just are not aware of how much they are actually eating, so I tried to use techniques that will help them admit or see where the problems are without judging them. There are cases when someone has trouble losing weight even they are doing what they should do, because of a medical condition. .I believe that being in the same situation can be more helpful if done correctly. I do fine that skinny people can be more judgmental if hey have never had a weight problem. I think that when I do lose the weight I will be able to use my experience of being obese to benefit other people. I know my experience with breast cancer & spousal abuse has benefited several people over the years. It also gives people hope that they can survive this too.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Not all nurses know that the shifts are long when they go into training. I went into nursing school in 1968. All shifts for nurses at that time at the hospital I worked were 8 hours. Through the years times have changed and now they mostly work 12 hour shifts and yes work weeks are supposed to be 4 days. Notice I said supposed to be. The hospital I worked at is a good hospital, national ranked in some ways. But there is mandatory overtime. In order to keep your level of pay you need to put in extra time working on committees which require you going in on your days off. You have to keep your own professional accreditations up which require going in and taking classes and then all day testing. So on paper it may look like you have 4 days to work but you have a lot more than 4 days being at the hospital. And no, high school seniors who make the decision to be a nurse do not know all this stuff. Plus, there is a high incidence of heart disease, neurological illnesses and other medical problems in the medical field due to the stress level. There is much more to those nurses than meets the eye. You have really hit a nerve in me right now. I was a nurse for 30 years and a good one. In my hospital alone while I was working I was one of 6 nurses and two doctors that developed multiple sclerosis. They really don't know what causes MS but they do know that stress is part of the factor. I went on disability in 1999 and get 40% of what I was making at the time in social security disability. If I had my way I would still be working and yeas I am obese and worked on a cardiac unit and taught good nutrition to my patients. It's just that I didn't have the time to do it myself. And I sure would be making a lot more money than I am now.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I have been an overweight individual ALL of my life. But, with that caveat, I have to say that I at one point was much more fit than I am now. I'd had a back injury at one point that had spiked my weight, but I had been able to lose the weight.

I was a firefighter paramedic before I became an RN.

I became a CVICU/ER RN because I was addicted to the rush, the thrill, the adrenaline.

Little did I know I was pummeling my body with lack of proper sleep with 5 to 7 12 to 14 hour shifts in a row because we were so short and i loved my patients so much, and during those shifts, I wouldn't eat. The joke quickly became, how good of a night was it on whether or not I got to pee before I was walking out the door. Not to mention, you don't get water at the desk or anywhere NEAR our units anymore, so boom, most nights you're lucky if anything WENT into my mouth.

When I had energy, I was working out after shifts, eating healthy when I ate, and enjoying life.

Suddenly, my life changed when I hit 30, my body decided not to maintain these losses anymore.

Quickly I tanked NOT ONLY my metabolism, but my thyroid. My PCOS flares became severe and my hormones were completely out of whack. I went from losing weight and keeping my health to nearly DYING. I was taking care of a patient when I passed out from hypoglycemia from having not eaten in over 24 hours (3rd night shift in a row, bed after work, back up to work, you know the drill)

Does any of this MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MY ABILITY TO CARE FOR YOU AT ALL?

No. I'm one of the best nurses you'll ever have. I have multiple rewards and patients come up to me on the STREET to say thank you. I went to Joplin after the tornado and cared for patients there and helped with town reconstruction for months. And I don't just push drugs to save your life. I'm the nurse that will hold the hand and care for you.

I work in healthcare because that is where my passion is. The fat has NOTHING to do with it.

Me being fat is just me having issues. And tracking. And god knows I'm not flipping perfect.

Are you?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No one is questioning a nurse's ability to care for their patients.
  • Clameater
    Clameater Posts: 317
    Options
    I have some video of some nurses and they weren't fat except in the right places, word
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    Oh yes. Individuals in this thread said they didn't want an overweight or obese nurse caring for them:)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think that's a pretty general statement to make with no real basis... :huh:

So just because the nurses you see are fat all nurses everywhere must be fat as well? :laugh: Actually I think it's pretty funny to make such a blanket statement.

^^^ This!!!

and for the nurses that are obese..... well, it's because they're human and there's no such thing as a perfect human. Just because you know that it's unhealthy to have too much body fat, it doesn't mean you'll find it easy to get rid of it or maintain a healthy weight. It's just as hard for nurses to do that as anyone else.... and plus, as had been said, they work awkward hours that makes it difficult to plan regular meals and fit exercise in, not impossible, but harder than for someone who works 9-5.
  • whierd
    Options
    Oh yes. Individuals in this thread said they didn't want an overweight or obese nurse caring for them:)

I will be honest, I've read like two posts so I didn't see that.

Carry on. :)
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

Mine better have been one of the two! :grumble:
  • whierd
    Options

Mine better have been one of the two! :grumble:

Two and a half*
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Are you insinuating that skinny nurses are bad nurses?
    No one is questioning a nurse's ability to care for their patients.

:huh: fan those flames :yawn:
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to do with a persons desire for their own fitness and health more than the long hours or profession they choose. Anyone can find 30 minutes a day to work out, eat right and make an attempt at not being unhealthy if they choose. I know a lot of nurses that are smoking hot so there!! :drinker:
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Sucks that nurses have to work long hours, they should just be able to have a regular schedule like everyone else

That's nice... in theory. Too bad patients need 24 hour care.

so what you are saying that nurses should work 24 hours a day?

Apparently you have a problem with reading comprehension. The OP stated that nurses should have a regular schedule. Being as patients require 24 hour care, it's impossible for all nurses to have a regular schedule. So yes, nurses do work 24 hours per day - but not in one shift. Nice job though, bud.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Really, this question again? Well it's probably because there are over 2 million nurses in the US. Most Americans are overweight or obese. Therefore some nurses will fall into this statistic.

Thank you.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    IMO I think a lot of people who are "givers" and tend to put others needs in front of their own let themselves go a bit in the looks department- because instead of doing things for themselves they are doing for everyone else and they put themselves at the bottom of the list... nurses may fall into that category.

Well said!!!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have a sister and 2 nephews that are RNs, and they are all quite slim to skinny. However, I did have a dr when I was younger that was obese and smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Omg, that's awful!! A nurse's weight has nothing to do with the wonderful work that nurses do.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Really, this question again? Well it's probably because there are over 2 million nurses in the US. Most Americans are overweight or obese. Therefore some nurses will fall into this statistic.

Thank you.

This
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to do with a persons desire for their own fitness and health more than the long hours or profession they choose. Anyone can find 30 minutes a day to work out, eat right and make an attempt at not being unhealthy if they choose. I know a lot of nurses that are smoking hot so there!! :drinker:

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.