Options
124»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Diet Rich in Processed Food Linked to Increased Risk for Depression

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711867

You would really think i would post without evidence to support my claim?
    Again i said no everyone suffers from the same fate but saying that some food can not be responsible for some reactions is as bad as saying smoking is perfectly fine for your health.

That is not evidence, that is one study.
    Noun
    The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms
    noun. proof - testimony - witness - attestation - obviousness
    verb. prove - show - testify - demonstrate - evince - manifest

this is considered testimony or show/demonstrate
    what do you think the purpose of a "study" is honestly.

Besides the fact that it is enough of a concern they do studies, people have testified to seeing the same results of certain, types of foods including processed foods. Simple really, our bodies react to the food we eat. If you put sugar in your gas tank of your vehicle it doesn't work too well. Our bodies work the same way (sugar only as an example not a reference to NOT EATING SUGAR) You are what you eat. Yes I eat whey protein powder, I also drink pasteurized milk. Honestly if I could get a hold of whole raw milk I wouldn't even been consuming the whey protein powder but since its illegal to drink we do have to make certain exceptions to eating "clean" which is really no such thing considering our town water has fluoride in it which our filter can not filter out.

One article summarizing one study does not equal evidence. Sure, the study provided some information, but the study had limitations. (results were from white, middle-aged office workers) Additional studies need to be performed in order to make the strong claim that food eliminates depression or can prevent depression. Again, other lifestyle changes can decrease some symptoms associated with mild forms of depression, but food does not eliminate it.

LoL you can't be wrong can you? Honestly speaking from personal experience is all I really need in my life. People also tell me I am not gaining muscle eating in a deficit although recent tests proved otherwise. It was a fun debate but its now grown very boring.

I get it. So let it go :ohwell:
    There's plenty of stuff that I believe specific to my diet and health just like you.
    Confirmation bias?...maybe...but don't bother drinking the kool-aid otherwise you end up like a lot of the high post jokers here.
    You know what works for you. I've seen your success story pics, clearly you're on to something. You and your wife have benefitted from what you've learned about yourselves. Let that be enough and be happy. :flowerforyou:
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. For most of them, I understand what are saying especially from my diary. But some days I don't track my food intake, so I do eat alot more than what is there. I do think my nutrition is low, hense WHY I posted this, that I am cutting out empty calories and proccesed stuff for real nutrition. I am not saying that I am now a strict nutrition NO PRCESSED ATALL!! kind of person, somethings (like meat from the supermarket and not moving animals) lol, I will still buy them. I actually had a whole green juice yesterday this morning I woke up full of energy and I have felt the best I have in months. So, I am still going to take diet coke out of my diet along with other sugar. Obviously through weight loss your not going to feel 100% your best all day everyday, because your eating at a deficit. I have seen a doctor recently and there is nothing wrong with me, which besically leaves that down to my diet, I know that I am eating enough, and I am admitting that I have become addicted to diet coke, and its not healthy because of the aspartme. Well, I will see how it works out. God bless.

I have a green smoothie every day and I also have diet coke every day-it doesn't have to be one or the other. Both can be a part of a healthy, well balanced diet. But, to each their own :drinker:
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Def. go to the dr. When I stopped sugar and processed foods, I got dizzy to. You go thru Food withdrawal. I would get a cat scan, mri, and mra to be safe...see what the dr. says before jumping into tests.... Not to scare you, but you should always go for a 2nd opinion. My mom had bad headaches and the Dr.told her she was just stressed and had migraines. She went for a 2nd opinion, She ended up at Colombia in NY she had a tumor the size of a baseball and had brain surgery...if she didn't go for that second opinion or that Dr. she would have died, and with the first dr. they did tests and a cat scan and nothing showed up. So always rule things out. I am sure it just the diet coke but I am no dr. I am just telling you from my experience. Feel better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself, are you surprised? I mean, I'm not a proponent of diet coke at all, but I highly doubt that's the cause. 1000 calories or less at 23 is crazy.
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Again i said no everyone suffers from the same fate but saying that some food can not be responsible for some reactions is as bad as saying smoking is perfectly fine for your health.

It might not happen to everyone, but I know people that it happen to
    Noun
    The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms

Besides the fact that it is enough of a concern they do studies, people have testified to seeing the same results of certain, types of foods including processed foods. Simple really, our bodies react to the food we eat. If you put sugar in your gas tank of your vehicle it doesn't work too well. Our bodies work the same way (sugar only as an example not a reference to NOT EATING SUGAR) You are what you eat. Yes I eat whey protein powder, I also drink pasteurized milk. Honestly if I could get a hold of whole raw milk I wouldn't even been consuming the whey protein powder but since its illegal to drink we do have to make certain exceptions to eating "clean" which is really no such thing considering our town water has fluoride in it which our filter can not filter out.

One article summarizing one study does not equal evidence. Sure, the study provided some information, but the study had limitations. (results were from white, middle-aged office workers) Additional studies need to be performed in order to make the strong claim that food eliminates depression or can prevent depression. Again, other lifestyle changes can decrease some symptoms associated with mild forms of depression, but food does not eliminate it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Obviously through weight loss your not going to feel 100% your best all day everyday, because your eating at a deficit. I have seen a doctor recently and there is nothing wrong with me, which besically leaves that down to my diet, I know that I am eating enough, and I am admitting that I have become addicted to diet coke, and its not healthy because of the aspartme. Well, I will see how it works out. God bless.

I'm not sure why you posted on here since you seem fairly certain that your symptoms are being caused by diet coke and you clearly don't want to listen to anyone telling you that it could be something else. In any case, you should be able to eat at a deficit in order to lose weight AND feel at your best. If your deficit is too high then you're going to feel terrible. If you're eating the crap that is in your diary all day then you're also going to feel terrible. Yes, diet coke can have side effects - aspartame gives me migraines, so I understand this. But it's also not the ONLY thing that gives me migraines.

You say you were just at your doctor - was this before or after the dizziness and blurry vision started? I recently started having problems with dizziness and blurry vision. I had seen my doctor a month earlier and have a history of low blood pressure, so I brushed it off. Then I fainted (and got a concussion from hitting my head...) - turns out my potassium was super low. I had blood work done a month earlier and this was not an issue then.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Noun
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms

LoL you can't be wrong can you? Honestly speaking from personal experience is all I really need in my life. People also tell me I am not gaining muscle eating in a deficit although recent tests proved otherwise. It was a fun debate but its now grown very boring.

I get it. So let it go :ohwell:
    There's plenty of stuff that I believe specific to my diet and health just like you.
    Confirmation bias?...maybe...but don't bother drinking the kool-aid otherwise you end up like a lot of the high post jokers here.
    You know what works for you. I've seen your success story pics, clearly you're on to something. You and your wife have benefitted from what you've learned about yourselves. Let that be enough and be happy. :flowerforyou:
    hehe just so we are clear i was in no way being mean, love good debates and enjoyed the jousting. Love the rentless of the battle though. Most reason why we avoid processed foods is to avoid, fructose and gluten, nothing really more to it.:heart:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't the diet coke, it's the 1000 calorie goal you have....
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are POISON for more reasons than just the fake sweetener. The carbonation in soda creates an acidic environment in the body that causes calcium to leach from your teeth and bones and it also creates an environment that cancer thrives in. I gave up sodas 13 years ago after my dad died of cancer. My brother-in-law was addicted to diet Coke for years until his teeth started cracking and falling apart. That finally convinced him to give it up for good. You're doing the right thing. If you liked Hungry For Change you should also check out Food Matters, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Those documentaries highly motivated me to switch to a whole food, unprocessed, organic, GMO-free diet. We are a nation of overweight, malnourished people who are sicker and more diseased than any generation before us. Big Ag and Big Pharma are largely to blame for this. I'll never go back to eating processed foods again.
    You forgot chemtrails and the faked moon landing.
    Go ahead and provide any evidence for your claims.

You could have politely asked me to provide sources without the additional rude comments. But I will respond anyway. The documentaries I named provide ample data from expert sources and studies. You can watch them on Netflix or Youtube. The information is out there and it's abundant. Look for yourself.

A few additional sources to get you started:
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/health&id=7527237
    http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html
    http://www.rodale.com/facts-about-soda
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/drmao/what-soft-drinks-are-doing-your-body
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/21/watch-how-soda-affects-your-body.aspx?_escaped_fragment_=
    http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/ph-and-cancer.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/521920-acid-vs-alkaline-and-cancer/

And if the above is not satisfactory, perhaps a Nobel Prize winner will be...

"Nobel Prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg discovered that cancer cells only thrive in a low-oxygen state. When your body cells and tissue are acidic (below pH of 6.5 - 7.0), they lose their ability to exchange oxygen, and cancer cells are able to thrive. On the other hand, when your body cells and tissue are alkaline (above pH of 7.0) cancer cells find it difficult to survive because of the high amount of oxygen present. Alkaline tissue holds 20 times more oxygen than does acidic tissue and this oxygen rich environment prevents further cancer cell growth. In a pH of 8.0 or greater, cancer cells and cancer-causing pathogenic microbes (viruses, bacteria, fungus) cannot survive. Maintaining proper body cell and tissue pH is critical for staying healthy and creating an inhospitable environment for cancer cells and virus-bacteria-fungus to multiply. Most people are born into this world with a pH near or at neutral. If you can keep your body tissue pH somewhere between 6.5 - 7.0 it is very difficult to get sick. A near neutral pH (bright blue range) is the goal."

The article goes on to list soda as one of the beverages that has a "highly acidic" effect on the body.
    Full article at http://www.alternative-cancer-care.com/acid-alkaline-ph-and-cancer.html

Have a nice day.
  • Susan923
    Options
    Once you get healthy like you are trying to do, you will realize that food should only be used as fuel for your body. It's simple math. Provide enough fuel and your body runs great. Don't give it enough fuel or crap fuel and your body will not run like it is supposed to.

I consider myself to be pretty healthy and pretty fit. I know that if I ate the diet and calorie amount you eat, I would never be able to get out of bed. My blood pressure runs on the low side and I myself have dizziness and vertigo issues so eating correctly is very important to me. If I ate your calories, I would never be able to function the whole day much less get any exercise in.

My recommendations would be to eat a clean diet, fuel your body with at nice clean food every 3 hours increasing your total calorie intake. Sure cut out that diet soda because it's not food anyway...only chemicals. Listen to your body...It tells you what it needs.
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My diet mainly consists of the fresh fruits and veggies, and mostly grilled meat, seafood, chicken or turkey. Lots of yogurt or milk too.
    But I just need to have diet Pepsi from time to time. I know it's unhealthy but I love it. :) lol
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are POISON for more reasons than just the fake sweetener. The carbonation in soda creates an acidic environment in the body that causes calcium to leach from your teeth and bones and it also creates an environment that cancer thrives in. I gave up sodas 13 years ago after my dad died of cancer. My brother-in-law was addicted to diet Coke for years until his teeth started cracking and falling apart. That finally convinced him to give it up for good. You're doing the right thing. If you liked Hungry For Change you should also check out Food Matters, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Those documentaries highly motivated me to switch to a whole food, unprocessed, organic, GMO-free diet. We are a nation of overweight, malnourished people who are sicker and more diseased than any generation before us. Big Ag and Big Pharma are largely to blame for this. I'll never go back to eating processed foods again.

I am sorry for the loss of your father. It is horrible to lose a parent!

However, I have to ask you where your evidence of we are the "sickest" generation ever comes from? We as a culture are living longer than at any other time in human history with the exception of pre-flood (if you are a bible believer) humans.

I am all for anyone doing whatever they believe is right and if not having diet coke works for her or you, wonderful. I choose to have a diet coke once or twice a week because I like soda and don't want to drink my calories in sugar. With all that said, I do not believe that it is possible to change the pH of the body by drinking a coke. The only way to do that is to either have broken kidneys and lungs so you cannot exchange co2 and bicarb to buffer pH or to drink a couple gallons all at one time and overwhelm the body, dilute the blood and probably die quickly yet very painfully. Otherwise, no matter what you eat or drink, you cannot impact your body's pH

Thank you for the kind words re. my dad. As for the "sickest generation" comment, that was based on the evidence provided in the documentary "Forks Over Knives", which was largely based on the works of the doctors whose years of research was dubbed The China Study. They site the statistics of disease in this country and it is staggering. They stated that the generation growing up now may become the first one in this country to not live as long as their parents if things continue to progress as they are. I'm not a vegan like they are and, based on everything I've read, I'm not willing to agree that it is the best way of life to be healthy. But I do believe the vegan diet that the documentary promotes is excellent for reversing disease. There is a lot of heart disease in my family history, which is why the documentary was recommended to me and why I've recently adopted a near vegan diet. Time and lab tests will tell whether or not it is making a difference or not.

Aspartame is another reason I gave up diet sodas. I had migraines for years that the doctors could not find a cause for but then read that aspartame is a neuro toxin that causes headaches in some people so I gave up everything that contained it (I was drinking a lot of Crystal Light as the time) and my headaches diminished dramatically. I researched more about aspartame after that and all I can say is the stuff really should be banned, it's that bad.

As for the cola acidity link...

"Nobel Prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg discovered that cancer cells only thrive in a low-oxygen state. When your body cells and tissue are acidic (below pH of 6.5 - 7.0), they lose their ability to exchange oxygen, and cancer cells are able to thrive. On the other hand, when your body cells and tissue are alkaline (above pH of 7.0) cancer cells find it difficult to survive because of the high amount of oxygen present. Alkaline tissue holds 20 times more oxygen than does acidic tissue and this oxygen rich environment prevents further cancer cell growth. In a pH of 8.0 or greater, cancer cells and cancer-causing pathogenic microbes (viruses, bacteria, fungus) cannot survive. Maintaining proper body cell and tissue pH is critical for staying healthy and creating an inhospitable environment for cancer cells and virus-bacteria-fungus to multiply. Most people are born into this world with a pH near or at neutral. If you can keep your body tissue pH somewhere between 6.5 - 7.0 it is very difficult to get sick. A near neutral pH (bright blue range) is the goal."

They go on to state that sodas are "highly acidic" to the body. You can read the full article here: http://www.alternative-cancer-care.com/acid-alkaline-ph-and-cancer.html
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Diet coke seems like the least of your worries, although reducing your intake is a good idea. I don't think it's "poison" though- it's been researched like CRAZY and zero negative effects have been found, except that it's not good for your bones.

So not being good for your bones is positive?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    You forgot chemtrails and the faked moon landing.
    Go ahead and provide any evidence for your claims.

You could have politely asked me to provide sources without the additional rude comments. But I will respond anyway. The documentaries I named provide ample data from expert sources and studies. You can watch them on Netflix or Youtube. The information is out there and it's abundant. Look for yourself.

A few additional sources to get you started:
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/health&id=7527237
    http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html
    http://www.rodale.com/facts-about-soda
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/drmao/what-soft-drinks-are-doing-your-body
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/21/watch-how-soda-affects-your-body.aspx?_escaped_fragment_=
    http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/ph-and-cancer.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/521920-acid-vs-alkaline-and-cancer/

And if the above is not satisfactory, perhaps a Nobel Prize winner will be...

The article goes on to list soda as one of the beverages that has a "highly acidic" effect on the body.
    Full article at http://www.alternative-cancer-care.com/acid-alkaline-ph-and-cancer.html

Have a nice day.
    I don't want to come on here to argue, but I must say, the alternative cancer care article totally misrepresents Warburg's work on cancer cells. In the late 1920s he discovered that cancer cells use fermentation to metabolise glucose. This was 80 or so years ago when we knew very little about the causes of cancer. We now know that cancer is a genetic disease and that mutations in genes that control the cell cycle or DNA repair systems transform cells to become cancerous. The adaption of cancer cells to generate energy through glycolytic fermentation is well known as a secondary effect and not the cause of cancer. This is basic cancer genetics, that you can read in any genetics textbook. Nevertheless, I will link an article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19604589

As for the virus-bacteria-fungus relationship to cancer, it's not correct. Some viruses are linked to cancer (HPV for example) but the way it's described in the article is wrong.

The article quotes Dr Waltraut Fryda, who believes that cancer is related to consuming too much sugar....wrong, just so wrong...

There is so much more, but I won't go into it because this will turn into an essay. In a nutshell, the whole concept of an acidic environment in tissues being cancer promoting is so wrong because it would mean that every time we do anaerobic exercise and produce lactic acid, we would get cancer!

I understand your need to research cancer because of your father, but the articles you linked are full of quackery and pseudoscience and people making money out of people desperate to cure their cancer. For example, Mercola.....

http://www.quackwatch.com/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&query=mercola

Again, I'm not trying to be nasty, I just get offended by the BS some of these people try to peddle to people when they are ill and vulnerable.