Strangers make fun of me when I'm out

Options

Replies

• Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I haven't experienced many openly abusive people as a fat adult. The last clear situation I remember happened a few years ago. I was with my older sister at the store and we walked by a woman in the toy aisle. She muttered some rude comment under her breath (I don't even remember what it was) and I told my sister about it in one of those "Haha what's up her butt" ways since what she said hadn't really bothered me. My sister, on the other hand, got upset and doubled back to let the person know that her comment was unappreciated. We both were taken aback at her reaction--she literally started screaming at my sister and acted like I was making up stories and that she hadn't said anything. She called me a fat liar at least five times, with an emphasis on the word fat. The entire time, she didn't even look at my face. All of her attention was centered on my sister and she ranted and raved about what a fatty fat liar I was as if I wasn't even in the area, all while I was standing right in front of her. It was slightly surreal and I don't think I'll ever forget it because of how volatile it was.
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    Anyone else ever get rude comments or stares?
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Personally, I turn it around and I use all negative feedback as a source of motivation. Instead of feeling hurt, or angry at others, I get that much more determined to make the changes I need to make.

That's why I joined myfitnesspal finally! =) I hope at some point I can use negative feedback as motivation right away and skip the hurt feelings part
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    For starters I would go with..."Yeah, I am sure you are not used to seeing anything big" from there the possibilities are endless....

btw, the only person that has a right to define you is only YOURSELF!

This made me laugh really hard LOL I wish I'd have said more to the people that made me feel so bad, but at the time it's like, you just want it to end so you can be on your way.
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    Oh wow! Those are horrible things to say to anyone. You are beautiful. I know it is hard but please keep your head up and working towards your goal to a healthier you. Don't isolate yourself inside. Walks are great for your mind and body. Like pp's said- they are just trying to make themselves feel better.

Thank you, I'm hoping I can take a walk sometime tonight, it's more comfortable than walking around during the day. Geesh, I sound like a vampire lol
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened to you. People can really suck sometimes. I have not been called names but my friends have. One of my friends got Moo'd at when we went out one night. Thankfully she wasn't alone. She had us to go ape s**t on this guy. Either way it was horrible for her and I could tell it really hurt her feelings. Seems like other people here have started to arm you with some good come back lines, so keep those in mind when you are out and about. Don't let the idiots stop you from being who you want to be. You are gorgeous from what I can tell, so it's their loss.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That's just SO freakin' crazy and weird and I am so sorry it has been happening to you :-( I haven't had anything that blatant. I'm female, 5'8" and started MFP at 262 lb so I am still pretty close to your size. Although in the past I have been up to 307 lb for a time.

Anyway, I think for me mostly people have made fun of my size quietly behind my back. I do remember a few rude comments in elementary school, when I was BY FAR the biggest kid in 4th grade at 5'6" and 130 lb. Mostly they would be like, "Omg how tall are you?" followed with "And how much do you actually *weigh* (giggle)?" ONCE, about 5 yrs ago when I was at my heaviest, a young (20-ish) couple, male and female, were tittering about me at Starbucks and it's unclear exactly what they were saying about me. I assumed it was about my size, but it also may have been just me in general because I'm very enthusiastic and animated a lot of the time. Either way I felt humiliated especially because my best friend, who is a wonderful person and means well, wanted us both to leave immediately when she realized they were making fun of me. That stuff stings.

This probably won't help matters at all because it is still harassment but I've heard some men who are either very intimidated by larger size women and/or just really attracted to Amazon-types, make comments somewhat similar to what those guys said about you. A male friend of mine absolutely loves bigger women who are both tall and large/curvy, in fact he thinks I'm "too short" at 5'8" and he finds it hard not to stare when he sees a woman he would consider ideal, which is about 6' tall and 200+ lb. I'm NOT saying you should feel flattered. Those guys are completely out of line. But don't assume it's 100% negative stuff because you look super pretty in your photo.

I doubt that helped at all, but FWIW...
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    start carrying a taser and have some fun of your own!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    For starters I would go with..."Yeah, I am sure you are not used to seeing anything big" from there the possibilities are endless....

btw, the only person that has a right to define you is only YOURSELF!

This made me laugh really hard LOL I wish I'd have said more to the people that made me feel so bad, but at the time it's like, you just want it to end so you can be on your way.

My issue is I am a smart-*kitten* to begin with...as a high school official you have to be prepared to hear all kinds of things..no response and they think they have you and are on you like ugly on an ape...quick thinking and banter is part of the game. Think about things people have or might say to you and rehearse lines....
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Baby, you are young and beautiful and should invest in a "beotch face."

This is the kind of face you don when you walk out the door that DARES anyone to say diddly to you! People are obviously picking up on your lack of self confidence.

I see you have a baby (yeah, I creeped your page...sorry...it's what I do), so you have to be a strong influence for her. How is she going to know not to take things from people when you take them yourself?

I'm so sorry you've taken it to heart, but don't let some puny little man get to you like that. When they get to you, you are their slave. Let it go.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 148lbs. I was never heavy until a few years ago. Hubby and I were walking and talking and 2 gentleman pulled to the side of the road to ask directions. Hubby pulls out his smartphone since directions to where they wanted to go were a little complicated. Black SUV pulls up behind and honks, I gesture that there is plenty of room to go around. More honking, more gesturing. Blondie pokes her head out and honks again, I say "why be so rude, just go around." She says she needs to turn right and again I point out we are NOT blocking this... She finally pulls around only to NOT turn right and park way farther up the street. Couple of days later as I go to my shop to close for the day, one of my employees tells me a note was left, but that it had such bad handwritting and wasn't signed that they threw it out. I pull from trash and can make out only 2 words "fat" and "ugly." Take said note home to hubby who deciphers "I was not the rude one, you were blah, blah, blah, I may be ugly but at least I'm not fat and ugly." WTF? I have no idea who this broad is, but according to another employee some woman had come in asking if I was short w/dark curly hair. She apparently went home and had her 10 year old help her write this hate mail, then dropped it off w/no signature. She tracked me down to leave a hate note and I never called her ugly. Rude yes, I couldn't see her face as it was foggy and drizzling. Some people just have too much time on their hands and too much hate in their hearts.

Thank you so much for sharing this story, it makes me feel so much better that I'm not just standing out as this huge, unsightly blemish to society. I think you hit it spot on when you said too much time on their hands and hate in their hearts. It makes me sad.

Sorry it turned out that rude woman was also stalkerish.

Oh, God, you are NOT a blemish on society!!!!!!! I know its tough, and its easy to say get some self-esteem, but you need it pronto. I strongly suggest you talk to a psychotherapist - someone your insurance will cover. You need to understand that lowlifes who think so little of themselves say stupid things sometimes to make themselves feel better. It is not a reflection on you!! As for the woman who left the gal a note - a woman is going to use the word "fat" b/c she knows that will greatly insult another woman - it does NOT mean its true!!! Please don't listen to these a**h**** who have nothing better to do than offend others to lift themselves up.
  • donnace7
    Options
    You can change the way you look.

They're never going to change their inability to get laid by a sober woman who's worth a *kitten*. Or their inherent swooshbaggery.

I, for one, think you're lovely. :flowerforyou:

Thank you, you're quite lovely yourself :heart:

It's funny you mention sobriety since I'm pretty sure those dudes from a few weeks ago had had a few drinks

PLUS - you are pretty in your picture! If you are 5'9 and weigh 260 you are definitely not an obese or obese looking person - its not possible!!!! Just forget about those people who make comments!!
  • donnace7
    Options
    This is why parents need to step up and teach our kids love and kindness. I challenge my kids every day to look for a way to be kind and then when I pick them up from school I ask what they did. We constantly tell our kids to be kind.

For every mean person, there is 10 nice ones. Feel sorry for them, for their hearts are ugly, I'd much rather be nice, and kind, then thin, and ugly on the inside, they can't be happy, if they have to bring others down to get attention.

Keep your head up, and be confident that YOU are a better person!

This totally^^^^ !!! I know many, many parents and ALL of them would have a fit if their children ever treated another person cruelly or judged someone based on appearance. There ARE so many more good people than bad on the planet.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Your story makes me so sad and brings back memories. I used to weigh 120 lbs more and was the target of some hate. A few years after college, I was taking the bus from Florida to New York and there was literally only 1 seat available for me to sit in. It was next to a woman who really did not want anyone of any size sitting next to her. It was in the front, right behind the driver. Anyways, I was obese at the time and did my absolute best to sit halfway on the seat and halfway in the aisle as to not take up more than my side of the seat. For hours, this lady taunted me laughing, talking about how fat I was, ridiculing me, etc... Sadly, the bus driver laughed along with her at me. It was absolutely humiliating at the time but doesn't bother me in the least right now:) I do remember how bad it made me feel though.

Another incident when I was probably 18, my mom and I were about halfway through our journey in weight loss and were walking on a dirt road in VT near our house. We knew the neighbor who passed us... He was the bully of the neighborhood and we had done nothing to make him angry. We continued our walk and eventually found a piece of paper in the road held down by a rock. It said "look at the fat %$#* heifers."

Please don't let these people have a negative effect on your journey.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    WOW that's awfully rude. But I agree that they must have been pretty bored and just trying to show off their assholeness to each other and whomever else was in earshot. Pathetic. You're beautiful. :flowerforyou:

Oh and this made me :laugh:
    "Yeah, I am sure you are not used to seeing anything big"
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Wow. Uh, I lost a whole human being to get to where you are now and I honestly can't recall crap like that since high school or maybe college (roughly 20 years ago). As an adult I've had well-meaning strangers come up and offer unsolicited advice on some wonderful diet pill I "needed" to take or what diet I "needed" to be on but that's about it.

The only consolation I can offer is this. You are making an effort to better your own physical health by being here. Whoever those idiots are it's safe to say that they are doing nothing to better who they are as human beings. Notice how in order to be brave enough to say something (ignorant) they have to be in pairs? It's proof that they are insecure. Occasionally when I was younger I'd hit the nail on the head with a comment about their own insecurities or how their moms must be proud of them to gang up on a girl or try and make a person feel bad like that, but the key is realizing that the opinions of strangers (particularly ones who have proven that they are unworthy of my attention) mean less than nothing. Be a woman who is aware of her own soul.

And yep, you ARE beautiful!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Aww hunny, that's so not nice. Ignore them. Sometimes these idiots are so insecure that they have to put other people down just to make themselves feel better about their crappy little lives.

Just looked at your pictures and profile. If I wasn't very happily married and on the other side of the world, I'd totally try to hit on you :flowerforyou:
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    People like that will act like that, regardless of someone else's size. They will find SOMETHING with SOMEONE daily to be rude about. Even though it's easier said than done, you've gotta do it. You will hear rude comments from people like this even if you lost all the weight. People are just never good enough for these kinds of people. I've been called dog ugly......a *kitten* many times (when I'm probably much closer to being a prude....and I'm not even flirty, just talkative).....etc. Hold your head up and keep pushin' forward!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There are some people that will make fun of anything on anyone. Whether it be weight, height, race, skin tone, hair color, hair style, manner of dress...know that it's not you. Do not let the stupidity of a few dull your view of the rest.

I'm 5'5" and at my heaviest was 205 (not pregnant...pregnant I was larger than that)...proportionately larger than you. Something like that would hurt yes...but you should only be here for you. So do it. It hurts but use that to fuel you forward to where you want to be.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YIKES - I'm sorry you experienced this.

At my highest weight of 383, I got teased all the time. I've been heavy my whole life, and in high school, a couple of kids referred to me as "the fat blond girl". Multiple times, guys would tell me that I'd be pretty if I lost about 100lbs. Just like that.

When I weighed around 250lbs, I was living in Berlin. I didn't know the language at all, but one of the first words I learned was "schwein" (pig). The punk kids in the street would talk about the pig walking through the street. And that's after I'd lost some weight living in Europe and was feeling good about myself.

Even this morning when I was jogging, I was self conscious about my "roll" that bounces when I jog. I have always tried to run at night (when it's dark) for that reason, but it isn't always possible. I'm trying to get over it.

Keep in mind that a lot of people who will make comments like that are unhappy with themselves or trying to compensate for something. I know that doesn't make it any better, but maybe it will help you to shed some light on the commentary. The awful thing about it all is - at least with me - I had to love myself before I could lose weight. Remember: YOU ARE WORTH IT. You're worth every bit of effort you put in to losing weight. Don't let these unhappy, unfulfilled people get you down! YOU CAN DO IT.
  • courtney3988
    courtney3988 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hi Ali really sorry that happen to you from you picture you look very beautiful. I was made fun of for my weight when i was in school i would come home upset. It sucks that people have to put people down just to make themselves feel better. But when it comes down to it we will lose the weight and look beautiful and they will always be the douche bags.