Why are overweight / obese people reluctant to exercise?

Options

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm still reluctant to exercise and I have completed 3 full marathons (trained for four and one was cancelled midway through due to heat and I was on track for a 3:45 at worst). My PR for a half is 1:45 and I'm damn proud. My body fat percentage is healthy but I'm still big. YOu can't see muscle under my belly fat.

1:45 PR on the half??? That is awesome!! You rock!
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who was reluctant to go out. People do say awful things, laugh, etc. On the other hand I have met so many supportive people & that's what I try to focus on. Try to remember there are more people in your corner than the 3 of 4 idiots that probably make fun of everyone - not just overweight people. Also, when you do something consistently people will encourage you to continue to do what your doing & I'm a witness to that!
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's hard to exercise when you're fat. It's hard to even find appropriate clothing for it, you end up in a big tent and in a too-small sports bra. It's also really tiring hauling a fat body around. If you run, your thighs rub and it's uncomfortable. And all the while you feel ashamed of yourself and your body, and if you're in a gym you're surrounded by skinny fit people.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    After seeing posts from many, many MFPers about how they are reluctant / embarrassed to go out running or go to the gym, I decided to do a little research and see if there were any studies about social stigma and exercise.

This is chicken and egg stuff - which came first, the obesity or the lack of desire to exercise?
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Some people are very self-conscious. I'm a bit on the shy side and thought that everyone at the gym would be watching me, even though I was far from the biggest person there. It takes a while to get over that feeling and to be comfortable with yourself to exercise in public. Given the choice I would still work out in the privacy of my home where no one could see me rather than work out at the gym.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I've had two men drive past me, and the man in the passenger seat wind down his window and slap my *kitten* as he drove past. Yeah, that was real nice. Good bruise to show for it.

... I would KILL someone for such a move... he HIT you?! id have broken his arm!!
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    When I was bigger and would try outdoor exercise I would often have insults hurled at me from idiots, it kind of puts you off.

At the end of the end of the day you just have to suck it up and not let people get you down, but at the time I was pretty crushed by it, especially as my confidence was already low and I was much younger and easily hurt.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is very true. At least for me. It's not about "getting over it," and things like that. I honestly think unless you've been in that position, overweight/obese you will not really get what it feels like. To try and get better, lose weight, change, which is already very hard to do, to add on top of that hurtful mean things... makes it so much harder.

I've been going to my school's gym and I go to ASU... full of thin pretty looking people. It took so much for me to get in there. I almost didn't because of the very reasons stated in this thread. When you already feel bad about yourself and truly aren't happy, but you are trying to change that... added stuff just really sucks.

We have a pool at the gym as well and I would love to try and do some water aerobics, they have a class for that but I don't and will not. Why? They only allow pool clothes in the pool... big girl like me...nope, not gonna happen. Why? For fear of being laughed at, might be silly, or whatever, but it's just how I feel.

And when you get it at home too, from your sister who is not thin herself but taller than you, it really can be overwhelming sometimes. It's like, I already get it at home, why add strangers **** too?

I have noticed some looks and stuff from the thin girls who work there, but I try not to pay attention to it and just head up to the machine I am using and just focus on it.

Thursday, in 2 days I start a health course that I took for credit, needed another 3 credit class, and let's just say I am terrified because we need to do at least 2 group workouts. Those are going to be hard days.

I would like to get some input for exercise routines, measures, etc. all properly but I am too embarrassed. Nor can I afford any training sessions.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There are some folks out there that think they can make any comment about anybody. At a 5K over the weekend, a lady was jogging in front of me. A group of teenage girls behind me started making comments. I turned around and said 'REALLY' glared. I swore if they made another comment, I would march their ample little botties off the course and make them wait for their parents and apologize to the lady. GRRR.:mad: Didn't have to do this thank goodness. AND, the lady in question has just taken up running, she is PDG(pretty darn good). She crossed just ahead of me, I came in at 52:17, so this new runner/walker came in with at 16.5 minute Mile.. way to go!:flowerforyou:
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thinking back 82lbs ago. My feet ached, knees ached, I was always tired. I was a self conscious, but mostly, not motivated enough to exercise.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    After seeing posts from many, many MFPers about how they are reluctant / embarrassed to go out running or go to the gym, I decided to do a little research and see if there were any studies about social stigma and exercise. It ended up being interesting enough that I posted it to Science-Based Running.

I'm posting it here because I figured some MFPers would be interested as well.

Here's a snippet:
    Despite the amazing support I received from these communities, I’ve also noticed that many people in similar circumstances are self-conscious about exercising. Locally, I’ve heard from lots of folks who don’t want to join our running group because it is “too intimidating.” On the myfitnesspal message boards, there are dozens of stories every day from overweight / obese people who won’t go outside to run, or who are uncomfortable going to the gym, because they are worried that others will mock them.
    Could it be that the same powerful social forces that helped me get in shape are, paradoxically, preventing many others from participating in exercise?

Full article here:

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/2013/10/is-stigma-stopping-exercise-in-obese-people/

Younger people often are concerned about what others will think. Older people often don't exercise because it is painful. In any case, weight management is made easier in the presence of regular exercise. Although, eating right is still 80% of the battle, who wouldn't want the 20% boost that exercise gives? If they aren't exercising, it is likely that they don't think it will make any difference, that they are self-conscious about exercising in front of others or that it is painful for them. None of those reasons need to hold one back. It WILL make a difference--guaranteed. Self-consciousness is a state of mind and you can get over it. And you can always put a video on in the privacy of your home anyway. Getting in the local public pool will handle the painful part until you lose enough flab to make it more comfortable for you to exercise.

ETA: And then there's laziness--something that every one of us must fight. :wink:
  • RangiRose
    Options
    Because some *kitten* like to make fun of fat people for trying to lose weight so they can feel better about themselves by making others feel worse.

Thats sooo right-its more about who they are in a way.:frown:
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I worked out in the gym even when I was very heavy. I didn't care what people thought of me. Most of the time I was beating the hell out of the punching bag so no one came near me.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For defense, I walk with the dog. Not too much happens other than folks wanting to stop and pet the dog.

But, walk with about a 1/4c of a liquid of your choice in a plastic water bottle. Oh, so sorry that made a mess of your windshield, car, etc, you just scared me so much I let go! (believable, but make sure you can hit a moving target) :wink:
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I've lost 52 lbs so far so I wasn't reluctant to exercise.

Am I embarrased to go to the gym? No, I just hate people and would rather exercise in the comfort of my own home.

:bigsmile:
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those that was always nervous about going to a gym cuz of what I thought people would think about how I look and having to get changed in a locker room. Probably a result of teasing and bullying when I was young.

I lost alot of weight several years ago and exercised by walking around my condo development and unfortunately I gained back the weight. This year I finally found the courage to go to the gym at work and found it wasn't so bad although it does have the benefit of having a lot of people at various degrees of fitness since it's a technology company and I still try to go at a time of day when not many people will be there.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how this can happen. When I started this journey I would only workout at home. I went and bought every DVD that I could find that I thought I could do. I worked out every day by myself. I only joined a gym when I realized I had hit a brick wall and couldn't go any further. I still have days where I feel uncomfortable in the gym or out riding my bike. You have to learn to not worry about what others are thinking and do what you need to for yourself.
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    After seeing posts from many, many MFPers about how they are reluctant / embarrassed to go out running or go to the gym, I decided to do a little research and see if there were any studies about social stigma and exercise. It ended up being interesting enough that I posted it to Science-Based Running.

I'm posting it here because I figured some MFPers would be interested as well.

Here's a snippet:
    Despite the amazing support I received from these communities, I’ve also noticed that many people in similar circumstances are self-conscious about exercising. Locally, I’ve heard from lots of folks who don’t want to join our running group because it is “too intimidating.” On the myfitnesspal message boards, there are dozens of stories every day from overweight / obese people who won’t go outside to run, or who are uncomfortable going to the gym, because they are worried that others will mock them.
    Could it be that the same powerful social forces that helped me get in shape are, paradoxically, preventing many others from participating in exercise?

Full article here:

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/2013/10/is-stigma-stopping-exercise-in-obese-people/

I have several reasons why I do not "work out" in the traditional sense. One is that there is not really a good gym around me. When I lived in Fort Worth, I went to the local YMCA regularly. I really enjoyed it because the machines were good and there were plenty of different classes. Second, is that working out at my size is usually no harder than it would be to just get up and do some chores around our apartment. Just taking care of our apartment gives at least 3-5 hours a week of exercise where I am actually sweating. Shopping is another way to burn some calories and is really not much different than walking on a treadmill calorie burn wise. Third, exercising at a gym does not cause me to lose weight and I actually seem to gain or maintain weight when I exercise, sot that takes a lot of my motivation to do it. Fourth, I have a son that gives me some extra exercise just taking care of him. I really prefer lifestyle activity over activity at the gym. Those are my main reasons.

That is not saying that I am opposed to exercise. I am planning on moving next year and definitely plan on pursuing more activities and becoming more fit. I meet my exercise goals now doing just lifestyle activity, so it is not really necessary to add to what I currently do. I am going to a college in Michigan that really encourages healthy living, and I found a local YMCA I can join when I get there. I really like the YMCA because people of all sizes go there.

I have lost like 30 lbs in the past 6 months, and I am happy with that, but I would like to lose a lot more.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I exercise every night but at home, not a gym. I do it at home not because I am embarrassed, but because I am poor :) my work just got a health and wellness grant and is going to start crossfit. A supervisor who is teeny tiny told me I shouldnt feel bad if I cant keep up!! I may die afterwards but will show that B!!!