Are Oreos more addicting than cocaine/morphine?

Options

Replies

• Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on step 8 of my Oreo recovery program

Congratulations. Here, have a GS thin mint...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Ummm... k, just gonna point something out; activating the pleasure center of the brain is not the same as an addiction. Making someone feel good is not an addiction. Addictions boil down to not being able to function without the thing you're addicted to.

That's absolutely not true at all. Stop making up some definition of addiction that you came up with from watching lots of after school specials. That's the kind of crap that makes even the worst addicts think they're not addicted.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    no they are not!! I have eaten Oreo's I have never been addicted to them nor do I know of anyone who is really addicted to them. However, I was a therapist in a drug treatment center so I have seen what cocaine/morphine does to a person. Believe me Oreo's don't begin to touch that. There is a very big difference between wanting Oreo's and being addicted. Stay out of the cookie aisle and find something more positive to do. you will forget about wanting cookies if you keep busy and start building some good feelings about yourself.

I worked in drug treatment centers, AND I've worked with morbidly obese patients in hospitals. Many of the morbidly obese patients had a lot in common with drug addicts. And they definitely met the criteria for addiction per the DSM 4/5.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a lot of Oreos, but I never gave anyone a BJ to get more when the package ran out.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it has nothing to do specifically with Oreos and EVERYTHING to do with SUGAR......
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The next hit series on HBO: Baking Bad.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If sugar is addictive, how do you explain the fact that millions or billions of people can eat it occasionally and not have any withdrawal symptoms when they don't eat any?

Sugar is not addictive. Some people might display compulsive eating behaviors, and may have a preference for sugary foods, but that doesn't mean it's addictive.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    NO, but they are a close second.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Buddy is a recovering Oreo addict.

Is that's what Buddy's deal is? It all makes sense now.

Ya, buddy was my sponsor.

MyBuddyBert.jpg
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I sucked foot for crack. You ever suck foot for oreos?

for the unaware:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vpin9VhNck
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What a ridiculous comparison.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    LOL, I saw this on the news this morning, too. I feel like this is a symptom of the times...we're always looking to blame the addiction rather than take responsibility for our own choices...face palms...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    That study didn't show any such thing.

What it did demonstrate, however, is that rats make better choices than do human junkies.

This exactly! :drinker:
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I read this article. lol. Sugar highjacks the brain!
  • Female_On_Fire
    Female_On_Fire Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Only if they are putting cocaine into the Oreos! I do have a cookie addiction but I've yet to find a 12 step program in my area. I can't tell you how many girl scouts I've robbed at gun point when they've got the goods. Someone help me!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a lot of Oreos, but I never gave anyone a BJ to get more when the package ran out.

Oh. Is this the criteria? I guess I have a lot more addictions than I thought. : (
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    (I'm a neuroscientist who has worked with a rat model of cocaine addiction and relapse.)

Rats will work harder for sugar or similar (chocolate, saccharin) than for cocaine. We have an ongoing joke that rats like chocolate better than cocaine, but it's actually true to the point that it screws up our studies if someone leaves chocolate pellets in the training boxes when we're trying to study cocaine self-administration. It's funny that some of you think that this means that rats make better choices than humans! As if rats are aware that "drugs are bad"?

The physical withdrawal from some drugs (especially heroin/morphine) is much worse than any physical effects of quitting sugar, which is what a lot of you are getting at in your comments, but sugar does have a higher reward value in that animals will work harder for it and will prefer it to various drugs of abuse when given a choice.

Those of you who are saying that heroin addicts do extreme things to get it and people don't do that to get sugar-sugar is legal, cheap, and everywhere. Not a fair comparison.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I bet Oreos sprinkled with cocaine is the mother of all drug addictions then...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The one-liners in this thread are GOLD!