Shockingly bad foods

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

In many cases the salad is actually more ...

I am one example of it. Just because i thought "Salad" was healthy, i ate it in huge amounts and piled on 20 pounds in 4 months. I also got my thyroid checked because i was so stumped LOL. Later i joined MFP and realised that no food is good or bad in terms of weight loss, calories are what matter!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess we're just going to wade into this. There are no bad foods. There are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Many foods have varying levels of these three macro nutrients, as well as any number of sundry micro nutrients. These are available in a wide range of calorie options.

I think it's ridiculous to demonize some food for not being whatever you consider to be an ideal combination of the above factors.

I said good day!

I think it's ridiculous to say there are no bad foods because all foods contain some portion of macronutrients. I also think it's ridiculous to suggest that saying there are bad foods = "demonizing" foods.

Everyone knows that there are foods that are better for us than others. There are foods that we are better off eating, and foods that we'd just as well off if we never ate them. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Good day to you too! :flowerforyou:

Oh, well... if everyone just *knows* then I guess that's sound reasoning. I didn't know it was like that.

What are you even saying? All food is just macro nutrients, micro nutrients, and calories. Am I correct in guessing that you think the axiomatic components of food are different from one variety of food to another? It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of fat in Food A are worse than 6 grams of fat in Food B. Is this accurate? If so, on what basis?

Maybe you subscribe to a school of thought like that, but that's not my way.

Yes, some fats are better than other fats. Fat in avocado is better than fat in partially hydrogenated oil, for example.

... Are you trolling me right now? I'm not talking about different types of fat (trans vs saturated vs etc.) I mean a direct comparison... Let's change the wording so that you can answer it properly.

It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of protein in Food A are worse than 6 grams of protein in Food B.
    It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of carbohydrate in Food A are worse than 6 grams of carbohydrate in Food B.
    - I feel like I should clarify the carbohydrate statement to say--a direct comparison of the same types of carbohydrates (simple to simple; complex to complex; etc.)

Is this even worth exploring with you, or are you you going to continue to (perhaps deliberately) misinterpret what I'm saying (so that you can say it fits your agenda)?

What it sounds like to you, is not what I said. You are misinterpreting what I said.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

I often get the Southwest Chicken Salad at McDonalds because I love the taste. Sometimes, I get a burger and fries. Just because people order a salad doesn't mean they don't understand what they are eating (calories, sodium, etc.)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess we're just going to wade into this. There are no bad foods. There are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Many foods have varying levels of these three macro nutrients, as well as any number of sundry micro nutrients. These are available in a wide range of calorie options.

I think it's ridiculous to demonize some food for not being whatever you consider to be an ideal combination of the above factors.

I said good day!

I think it's ridiculous to say there are no bad foods because all foods contain some portion of macronutrients. I also think it's ridiculous to suggest that saying there are bad foods = "demonizing" foods.

Everyone knows that there are foods that are better for us than others. There are foods that we are better off eating, and foods that we'd just as well off if we never ate them. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Oh, well... if everyone just *knows* then I guess that's sound reasoning. I didn't know it was like that.

What are you even saying? All food is just macro nutrients, micro nutrients, and calories. Am I correct in guessing that you think the axiomatic components of food are different from one variety of food to another? It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of fat in Food A are worse than 6 grams of fat in Food B. Is this accurate? If so, on what basis?

Yes, some fats are better than other fats. Fat in avocado is better than fat in partially hydrogenated oil, for example.

... Are you trolling me right now? I'm not talking about different types of fat (trans vs saturated vs etc.) I mean a direct comparison... Let's change the wording so that you can answer it properly.

It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of protein in Food A are worse than 6 grams of protein in Food B.
    It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of carbohydrate in Food A are worse than 6 grams of carbohydrate in Food B.
    - I feel like I should clarify the carbohydrate statement to say--a direct comparison of the same types of carbohydrates (simple to simple; complex to complex; etc.)

Is this even worth exploring with you, or are you you going to continue to (perhaps deliberately) misinterpret what I'm saying (so that you can say it fits your agenda)?

What it sounds like to you, is not what I said. You are misinterpreting what I said.

Then break it down for me in a logical fashion that doesn't use some form of circuitous bologna. (Not that I'm opposed to bologna; it's delicious.)
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Wraps - I totally agree with this.
    Salad - also agree but there are a lot of variables just because by switching the dressing or using grilled vs crispy chicken can make a huge difference. I tried out vinaigrettes and found one that I love way more than ranch so I eat that most of the time and ranch once in awhile.
    Pop tarts - I don't know why this was such a surprise to me but when I actually started checking labels and realizing how many calories they had it really bothered me - all I could think is I could have been eating bacon instead for all that was worth. Those strawberry frosted were good but when I compared them to other possible breakfasts I realized I could do way better.
    Also yogurt... while it's not necessarily "bad" when I started watching carbs I was shocked at how many carbs a little cup of yogurt had. When I'm already starting with 20-30 carbs I can't add any toppings to it :(
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at the calorie count in everything I have entered into my food diary. I have never counted calories in my life but a mixture of being a mother of two and a sedentary job means I'm not happy with the weight that I can't seem to shift. MFP has me at 1400 calories a day and I'm struggling to get anywhere near that. I checked my normal diet for a few days and I have been consuming about 2300 a day. Feeling hungry and disheartened and I've been doing this less than a week.

Don't get discouraged; just continue to take in information - you will find things that you like that fill you up AND you can fit in to your diet moderate portions of the things you already like! You do NOT have to be hungry.

There are a million threads about this here and you could also Google suggestions - try "filling low calorie foods," for instance, and just browse around and find things you like. Add friends and share suggestions with them.

You will find that protein, fat, and fiber will keep you feeling fuller, longer. Staying hydrated will keep you from mistaking thirst for hunger and make you feel a little fuller, as well. Loading up on calorie moderate foods like veggies, egg whites, soups, etc, can keep you from feeling hungry and leave you room in your calorie budget for some other more calorie-dense things that you don't want to (or have to) give up.

One other suggestion I would offer is to check your TDEE with an online calculator - it may be that you can actually eat a little more and have good success. If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose - but if you are constantly hungry, it's going to be really hard to maintain the changes that you're implementing. Ideally, everything you're doing should be things you can incorporate into your lifestyle and stick with for the long haul.

I'm certainly no shining example, but I'm seeing good progress and I definitely feel good about what I'm doing. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    marie callenders large pot pies serving size is half the pot pie 380 calories. whole pie 760 calories. big suprise to me.

Was really thinking about the turkey one not the chicken. Which is 480 calories for half the pie serving. 960 calories for the whole pie.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I once got a cheese board at a set menu dinner I went to thinking "oh no I can't have that chocolate cake, think of all the sugar".

I then found out that the cheese board contained 1200 cals - LOL. I probably should've known, its bl00dy chese!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yeah also as above some salad dressings?! Makes them higher in calories than a massive sub!
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are these burritos from Santiago's, they aren't that huge (maybe 2 inches around) and all they have in them are chicken and green chili...but 850 cals each! Ugh!

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say NEUROSIS T SHIRT!!! YES!!
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out really anymore, I miss chinese takeout though... but no way to figure out calories there... and Raising Cane's Chicken. So the takeout I have had, the last few times has been Raising Cane's. Although they don't have calorie or nutrition info on their site, there are some entries in the MFP database... how they are calculated I don't know... but I only do eat there when I have most of all my calories.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Virtually everything yummy at starbucks has a wack of sugar and hundreds and hundreds of liquid calories.

But the proteins!! Venti skinny mocha latte is like 180 calories for 18g of proteins. .. yes plz!! :D

18g protein?? Do they put protein powder in it? Most protein bars don't even have 18g protein.
  • seabee78
    Options
    Is a Doner like a gyro? Or a fajita?

So. confused.
    Yes, essentially like a gyro. It is spit roasted meat in a flat bread (though I always get the wraps and they come in a huge tortilla) with lettuce, tomatoe, feta, cucumber, a slaw of sorts and a tzatziki sauce!!! Mmmmmmhhhhhh. I believe, from what I have read, it is the flatbread or wrap, the greasy meat and the cheese (and spicy sauce if you get it) that make it so high calorie!

In Canada we call them Donairs. They have the spicy meat with diced tomatoes and onions. Our "donair sauce" is different too...sweeter than tzatziki sauce. One of our chain restaurants has a Super Donair that also has pepperoni and cheese on top.

I know what you mean about huge. Ours come in 1/4lb(regular), 1/2lb (med), 3/4lb (lg) and a monstrous 1lb!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    (Not that I'm opposed to bologna; it's delicious.)

mmmm.....bologna....with mayo....on white bread...and maybe a tomato slice
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Virtually everything yummy at starbucks has a wack of sugar and hundreds and hundreds of liquid calories.

But the proteins!! Venti skinny mocha latte is like 180 calories for 18g of proteins. .. yes plz!! :D

18g protein?? Do they put protein powder in it? Most protein bars don't even have 18g protein.

It's probably because of the milk, but yeah, in the Venti Skinny Mocha, there's 18g protein.

http://assets.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/skinny-mocha#size=11011220&milk=61
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I will have to say my biggest shocker was certain salads while eating out! Went to a restaurant with my hubby a few weeks ago and seeing that I was concerned with the menu he said to me just order one of the salads. Knowing how high these can be in calories I checked them using my phone with MFP. Should of seen his face when i ordered the lasagna instead! It had 1/2 of the calories of those salads, fit into my calorie intake and was quite satisfying! lol
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I often get the Southwest Chicken Salad at McDonalds because I love the taste. Sometimes, I get a burger and fries. Just because people order a salad doesn't mean they don't understand what they are eating (calories, sodium, etc.)

amen!
  • seabee78
    Options
    The Costco hotdog and drink. Damn!! 500+cals for the dog alone!. I don't fill the cup full, just over 1/2 including ice.
  • robinb07
    robinb07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    shockingly bad foods:

- asparagus
    - black licorice
    - brussels sprouts
    - cauliflower

they should all be sent to reform school.

This. But go ahead and add Broccoli to the list too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I said good day!

Then break it down for me in a logical fashion that doesn't use some form of circuitous bologna. (Not that I'm opposed to bologna; it's delicious.)

Some foods are bad because they contain things, such as trans fats, that can have a negative impact on health. Other things are bad because they provide nothing that provides health benefits. Junk food. Food that is junk. They are not demons. They have no magical powers of evil. They do not jump into our mouths in copious quantities forcing us into obesity. They are simply bad foods that do our bodies no good and should be eaten sparingly or not at all.

We all know what someone means when they say something like "I've been eating too much bad food lately" .