How to overcome laziness?

Options

Replies

• ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Each time you break a sweat, you score a victory. By the time you hit the showers, you're healthier than you were when you woke up this morning, and that's something to celebrate.

Thank for THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can still be lazy heck im lazy almost all the time however, the difference is i dont put lazyness at the centre of my life. I put exercise at the centre then everything else revolves around it, work, being lazy, eating, sleeping, playing video games etc. I think about exercise almost all the time during the day. Usually my thoughts are, when will i exercise next and what will it be. Then once i have completed my exercise for the day, i can then relax and concentrate on other things like work, meeting up with family/friends, reading a book, watching tv etc.

Another option is to consider taking medication for your overall mental well being. I dont have any medical condition however I consume 2 capsules of ganoderma lucidium per day which helps strengthen the immune system and assists the body with suppling oxygen to the brain.
    This helps keep my body in top shape to combat any nasty ailments like the office flu and mentally focused all day without having to consume any coffee/tea/energy drinks. Its effects dont stop there however. Strengthening the immune system has many benefits so id recommend any products that help keep it in good shape other then exercise of course which is a much more natural way of achieveing this. Best consult a doctor on what medication is safe to consume for lazyness.

Overall it generally takes me a good 6 weeks to become fully acustomed to a new routine whether its work related, sleep, night shifts, day shifts etc .. Think about your mental state and change it so your life revolves around exercise. One day at a time ;)
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I expect things to change right away, like if I eat good and exercise then next day I expect to be thinner...and if I am not, I feel like blah..
  • RemyaUnnikrishnan
    RemyaUnnikrishnan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For overcoming laziness, u need to work on your mind. It's all about thoughts and your mind set. If we do something we like, we never get lazy. Right? Sometimes when i have a craving for any food, i never gets lazy even if the restaurant is too far. I will take any risks to get there and stop my craving. Likewise, if you like exercising, you will never ever give up. So try to love it. And modify your fitness regime in the way you like. If you don;t like to workout alone, try joining a gym or a zumba class, spin class or even a yoga class. In ma case. i don't' like to exercise alone. So i joined a yoga class and i find it interesting. If you get bored up with a class easily, then change the class before you get bored up. If possible..hire a workout buddy.
  • RemyaUnnikrishnan
    RemyaUnnikrishnan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just read you post now- I'm a lonely wolf. :) your bf may not be pushing you towards weight loss, but it is true that he will be really excited to see a new girl( who is more sexier and fit and that is you itself k), and dont grin..
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    2 Suggestions:

- Log every day and start monitoring your activity levels. Being aware of what you are currently doing is really motivating.

- Make a daily stroll with your boyfriend part of your routine. Log it, every time.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    adjust your workouts and use your likes and dislikes in conjunction with working out to your advantage. As a lazy person you probably like sleep. Workout at night RIGHT before and just think about the tremendous amount of great sleep you will get if you exercise. Also, try taking creatine and weight lifting. Creatine is said to have great effects on the functionality of the brain and levels of fatigue. The only problem with this is that you cannot be lazy to drink water. Also, add some friends on mfp and look at their logs. Idk about you but I get pissed as **** if someone is basically effortlessly doing better than me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    have you tried the "just 5 minutes" method? Basically, when there is something you don't feel like doing, just push yourself to do that thing for just 5 minutes.

It is amazing at how much you can get accomplished in 5 minutes. Whether you are doing exercises or homework or chores, I don't know anyone who can't commit to just 5 minutes. Set a timer, if you have to.

The magic in "just 5 minutes" is in Newton's 3rd law. Give it a try. It's just 5 minutes.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy too, and I hate the elliptical and gym machines. I use a FitBit Zip to motivate me to move. Literally just MOVE- walking is exercise too! I won't let it read below 10,000 steps at the end of the day- not acceptable. So most days, I just put on my sneakers and walk around the neighborhood until I hit my step goal! I sometimes even chat on the phone while I walk- but I try to walk fast! Often that walk will turn into a bit of running too. I go to Zumba as well, which is really fun and almost doesn't feel like a workout- except oh wait, I'm sweating and panting like crazy!

Also the FitBit syncs with MFP, so it'll give me a "calorie adjustment" depending on my steps. If I hit my 10,000 steps, I've usually earned about ~250 cals from exercise...and often I hit 15,000 when I run or Zumba, so I get like 450 cals! I don't usually eat them back but it's SO cool that it all syncs up!

I also found motivation doing Couch to 5k - it was really exciting to see the progress I made getting better at running! I've kept running ~2x a week since and I LOVE seeing myself go farther and get faster- I've NEVER been athletic so to be getting into a "sport" feels so good!
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I have no support on here, everyone is concentrated on themselves and pretty much never comment, never suggest anything...
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Laziness is super tough to overcome. I'm terrified of gaining the weight back and its what keeps me from being lazy for any long periods of time. I do think it has to start with attempting to do something you like. I tend to be forced to walk because I have a dog but I do enjoy walking as well. Once I come back from the walk ,I tend to find it easier to either do a video or lift weights. So I guess my suggestion is to get a high energy dog :smile:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    One thing that has definitely helped me be more active (especially on rest days) is wearing an activity monitor. I have a FitBit One and looking at those numbers periodically through the day is a big boost! Even on exercise days, it'll sometimes cause me to do a little bit more to reach a milestone.

Case-in-point, Tuesday 11:40pm (a few hours ago) I had ascended 91 floors of stairs. I knew that just doing 9 more floors would earn me a '100 floors' badge instead of a '75 floors' badge. So I took a few minutes and did 9 round trips on my stairs at home.

On rest days, I'll see that I'm only at 1,600 steps for the day by lunchtime. I'll walk around the house, take extra trips to get stuff, or pace while watching TV (especially NFL). Those little bits can add up to '5,000 steps' badge even on a lazy-*kitten* rest day!

Feel free to look at my MFP profile to see how those badges can add up.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy too, and unmotivated to exercise. Doesn't help that I work a desk job. So I have been forcing myself to move even when I'm sitting. I probably look hyper now, because I can't sit still, ever. I'm always bouncing or kicking my legs or something. It's not much but it burns more calories than just sitting.
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy too, and unmotivated to exercise. Doesn't help that I work a desk job. So I have been forcing myself to move even when I'm sitting. I probably look hyper now, because I can't sit still, ever. I'm always bouncing or kicking my legs or something. It's not much but it burns more calories than just sitting.

Good idea I've thought of trying.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life, and its taken me this long to finally WANT it. I still have my ups and downs but I'm more motivated than ever. We never really take advice to heart when we're young, because you feel you have all the time in the world. You don't want to be 40, like me, looking back and wondering where the heck did the last 20 years go?! LIVE LIFE. Be happy. Be motivated. Find what makes you happy and keeps you motivated. YOU have to WANT it for yourself. My "fear" now is, losing weight, getting fit, being so happy, and then being mad at myself for waiting so long to be fit and active and healthy - but I'm looking forward to losing the weight and being fit and active and healthy with my son and husband and family and friends. Always look forward, not back, and get excited about starting new chapters in your life. Your "career" may yet to be determined, so focus on yourself and your well being. One step at a time. One day at a time.:flowerforyou:
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

- Make a daily stroll with your boyfriend part of your routine. Log it, every time.

This does help; I walk with my husband after dinner some nights. Every bit counts!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

This does help; I walk with my husband after dinner some nights. Every bit counts!
    Yes, every bit does count. I get some of my best exercise when I just grab my bike and head out for 20min.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You just kinda have to do it. Just push yourself, really no one can convince you to get up and exercise, you have to want to do it yourself.

For me, I have two kids and I know if I don't lose weight and exercise to get healthy then I put myself at a higher risk of so many illnesses and I would never want my kids to be without their mammy.

Try maybe doing something that isn't just running or swimming, try a class like zumba or something fun. Any friends you can talk in to doing something like squash, badminton or tennis? If you are meeting someone and have plans to do it, then you are more likely to go.

I really to hate stating "excuses" but I can't do anything extra. Weekdays I go to college really early in the morning, then I babysit and sleep. So the only exercise I can do is elliptical. It's the whole laziness thing..."oh gosh, elliptical, noooooo"

I love the elliptical! You said you go to school too? So do I and I felt like I had to choose between studying and working out, so now I bring a school book to the gym and read it while I run on the elliptical. Time goes by so much fast and I'm killing two birds with one stone!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Just do one little thing. Everyday. You are obviously not too lazy to get on here and ask for help. :smile: Seriously. Get a piece of paper, Write your intention at the top, number it 1-31 and EVERY DAY do one little thing to meet your intention. It can be the littlest thing. You will feel really good about yourself, and this will motivate you to do it again, and again with everything. And before you know it, all of those little things add up to BIG changes. :flowerforyou:
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    have you tried the "just 5 minutes" method? Basically, when there is something you don't feel like doing, just push yourself to do that thing for just 5 minutes.

It is amazing at how much you can get accomplished in 5 minutes. Whether you are doing exercises or homework or chores, I don't know anyone who can't commit to just 5 minutes. Set a timer, if you have to.

The magic in "just 5 minutes" is in Newton's 3rd law. Give it a try. It's just 5 minutes.

THIS! I do this for cleaning/tidying up around the house, which I hate with a passion but it isn't so bad for 5 minutes (and in fact I usually keep going). Think of it this way: you didn't gain weight (or a messy house) overnight, so don't feel like you have to fix it overnight.

Another idea, which has been mentioned in various forms, is to make a public commitment, such as signing up for a race. The shame of failure (quitting) is enough to keep some people motivated. Same goes for financial commitment -- if you pay in advance for something expensive, like a fancy gym with classes at a certain hour, you may be more inclined to go to "get your money's worth." There is also a website called stickk.com - it was created by behavioral economists who are basically trying to harness the human impulse to do nothing, for your own advantage. (I have no affiliation with the site.) For example, you can put $100 on losing x lbs in a month or else that money goes to an organization you hate. Obviously it's up to you to be truthful, but that might be a good motivation for you!

Not all of these things work for everyone, so experiment to find something that works for you. :)