Why are overweight / obese people reluctant to exercise?

Options

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I still am obese, though I go to the gym on a regular basis. 50lbs ago - going to the gym was NOT going to happen. Partly because I wanted to make sure I was serious about this before I spent the money. I have never been afraid to go outside. Though, I have had many people ask me how far along I was, which hurts, but I actually never really thought about that holding me back.

I just want to get hot.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

It's not just teens. It's teens, people in their 20's, 30's, 40's.... do I need to add etc? They don't necessarily get nicer as they get older...

Last Boxing Day (day after Christmas, for the USers) I ran past a man and his girlfriend, walking down the street. He yelled at me "Don't you think you're too fat to be doing that". I mentioned I was on my sixth mile, and that he was looking a tad out of breath walking. He looked suitably shamefaced.

I've had a carful of men woof at me (seems commonish practice). I've had a carful of women hoot and laugh loudly.

I've had two men drive past me, and the man in the passenger seat wind down his window and slap my *kitten* as he drove past. Yeah, that was real nice. Good bruise to show for it.

It happens a LOT.

And no, I'm not making excuses. (that is truly a horrible thing to say - a nasty generalisation, that I've seen a few times too many lately, on this site.) I'm a big woman. I'm also a very fit woman, and I love being fit. I'm losing weight, I'm making changes. But don't tell us that our horrible experiences aren't real. They are.

Excellent post Meerkat. I have shared my story in the past about the attempts at humiliation I have been subjected to while exercising and without fail, someone will tell me I'm just making excuses.. UH, I'M not.... As I've stated, it has NOT detered me from exercise but. these are REAL events and for someone else who is perhaps more sensitive and more self conscious than I am it could really be a cause of anxiety and a genuine deterrent to exercise. ... and by the way, I've been slapped on the backside too while out exercising.. The fellow was SHOCKED when I turned around and confronted him rather loudly, in front of a bunch of onlookers. It pretty much ended with him cowering and begging me to leave him alone.. LOL... I think that's why most of the insults and physical assaults (hitting on the *kitten*, throwing sodas etc) are from people people in moving vehicles... because they can get away fast before I bring my wrath down upon them.....COWARDS!
    There's a scene in a movie I absolutely love: a guy slaps the girls behind, and she turns around and grabs his ****. Whereafter his demeanour suddenly isn't so brave anymore :laughing:
    Not sure if I'd have the guts to pull that off, but I would likely punch someone who tried (or really wish I did, whilst being too baffled about how rude people can be)...
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask this question, you have never been obese. Incidentally, running and the gym are not the only options for exercise either....
  • cargriff7
    cargriff7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones and crank up my music...I can't hear anything that someone might be saying. Tuning out the world is actually something that makes me look forward to exercising outside. I enjoy the beauty of the day and generally avoid human contact when I'm exercising. :) When I'm out driving and I see someone on the sidewalk or street exercising (especially if they look like they're struggling) I think, "You GO!!!" I secretly give them a cheer. :) There are loads of mean people in the world but there are also LOTS of others who admire the fact that a less-than-fit person is doing something to improve their health.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm not reluctant to exercise. The title is a misnomer. Honestly, unless you've been verbally teased, bullied, or physically manhandled for being fat, you don't get to tell us we're wrong for wanting to avoid people and avoid unwanted attention.

I work out at home. I don't have any inclination to pay money to have people judge me or mock me.

In 'polite American society' fat people are usually ignored because we're taught not to stare at other people's flaws.

If you are a fat person exercising in front of people though, it's open season. They believe they get to stare, laugh, comment, take pictures, throw things at you, hit you, and whatever else they want to do because you just made yourself visible to the public. And maybe for every one person who says, 'don't! that's mean!' there are five others laughing.

When I work out at home, I don't worry about how I look. I worry about moving correctly and keeping my pace up. That is the only thing I SHOULD worry about while exercising.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound naive, but I had no idea so many people have the same problems!

So outside exercisers who say you wear headphones - isn't that dangerous? I would be afraid that someone would run me over, or that I woulnd't hear something important while cycling. Of course, I am on the streets only part of the ride.

I used to take my dogs - but then I don't get any exercise as they like to do urban mushing. My fault for teaching them I guess.

I will also try to do some DVD's, maybe I can get motivated enough to do that a few minutes a day to build stamina. Thanks for the input - to our health! Still in the market for chub rub stoppers.
  • Vivian_Michaels
    Options
    The only reason some people feel reluctant about exercise the loss of motivation and not any think like make them cheerful;

i know some people near ground side who feels very cheer to go out for running, and the result is they are fit. contrast to this a single man who has no friends or collegues feel lazy or have no cheer feeling resulting it in to a fatty and a couchy personality.
  • Silent1980
    Options
    When I started exercising I was still in obese category. But the truth is I started exercising alone at home for myself.
    I was embarrassed to go out and run or to go at gym. I was just walking and following 10 minute work outs video in youtube.
    Now I am jogging proudly outdoors cause I am in the weight I was dreaming about.
    BUT the truth is that yes obese people can get moody and extremely embarrassed.
    YET there is always a way to do it even when you dont want anyone to see you.
    I transformed my after pregnancy belly to a 6 pack alone cause I was ashamed to work out with other people.
    That means we all can do it alone if we REALLY want to.
    But to be honest I would love always to have some support.....Obese people are just awesome bodies trapped in fat and emotional eating.... They need help and support. I was there. I know it.
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's a little dangerous to make blanket statements... but I can tell you from my personal experiences:

1. People openly make fun of you, make comments about you, and laugh at you.
    2. For some people, it physically hurts
    3. Energy can play a big part
    4. Some people are not educated in the right kinds of workouts to be attempting, and push for things other "normals" can do, get discouraged, and believe they just plain can't.
    5. Heaviness comes with a high propensity for depression.

Most of all, though, those that *I* know, aren't so much reluctant to exercise as they are reluctant to have anyone SEE them exercise. Having to pull your shorts out of your crotch every five steps, jiggling and bouncing around, feeling your jowls shake with each step, and being surrounding by people that don't appear to have any problems doing what they're doing makes you feel like you stick out like a sore thumb.

There's a reason why there are "fat people" gyms now.

Either way, I am far from reluctant, and I weigh 435lbs.

^Yep. I worked out alone in my room for months before I felt confident enough to venture outside. People commenting on how you look when you're running really p*sses me off. Even when it's blokes who think they're paying you a compliment. But at least you're already running away from them at speed!
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising I was still in obese category. But the truth is I started exercising alone at home for myself.
    I was embarrassed to go out and run or to go at gym. I was just walking and following 10 minute work outs video in youtube.
    Now I am jogging proudly outdoors cause I am in the weight I was dreaming about.
    BUT the truth is that yes obese people can get moody and extremely embarrassed.
    YET there is always a way to do it even when you dont want anyone to see you.
    I transformed my after pregnancy belly to a 6 pack alone cause I was ashamed to work out with other people.
    That means we all can do it alone if we REALLY want to.
    But to be honest I would love always to have some support.....Obese people are just awesome bodies trapped in fat and emotional eating.... They need help and support. I was there. I know it.

^ Great post.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people said, it's the way society treats people these days. Some people though just have anxiety about being in public. And when you have a complex about your image, it doesn't make it easier. Trust me, I've been there, & I'm STILL there. I'm not overweight, but I still do not like working out in front of people, mostly because I feel I'm still being judged, & I just don't do well with people, due to my anxiety. (Plus I can't stand guys checking me out, or making me feel like a piece of meat when I'm there to just benefit myself & my health). If I'm with a friend, my anxiety goes down a bit, because at least I know I'm not there alone, & can have someone to talk to to calm my nerves. 90% of the time, I workout at home, because I can feel comfortable, & if I get overheated, I can remove clothing & not feel judged. Plus, I have 8 acres of land that I can walk & run around on during the nice weather. I used to be self-conscious about biking in the summer, but I would listen to music, & just avoid the thoughts of people driving by me, & remember I'm doing something good for myself.

The way people are today, is so thoughtless & cruel. I am never judgmental of anybody. But if someone is going to come at me with a bad attitude, I'll dish it right back. But to those that are just low-lives & cruel for no damn reason, they need to be smacked upside their head. I can't stand people who are just negative towards others, probably due to their own self-confidence issues or personal issues.
    Some people, overweight or not, have trouble getting motivated. I have had this many times myself, but once you get into the flow of doing it, & the routine, you adjust. But for some, it's hard. I have a friend who is like that. She can get down & depressed, & that screws with her whole attitude. Last time I saw her, we went to the gym together, & worked out. And she was really into it, & I was motivating her. I try to motivate all my friends, the best I can, because I WANT to help them get through this, & tell them they CAN do it. But it is hard to get motivated, & I understand that. Not everyone can just get into it, & keep that motivation up.
    So I wouldn't say it's reluctant, but finding the motivation & will-power sometimes is hard, especially if they are in a depressed mind-set. People can't just snap out of that.

I applaud anyone that makes the efforts to change their life, because in the long run, you're doing it for you. Who the F cares what society thinks, or how they view you. Yes, words hurt, I've been called MANY things, but the anger & irritation just motivates me even more to push through & prove people wrong. At the end of the day, it should be how YOU view yourself, & what you're doing for yourself.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

It's not just teens. It's teens, people in their 20's, 30's, 40's.... do I need to add etc? They don't necessarily get nicer as they get older...

Last Boxing Day (day after Christmas, for the USers) I ran past a man and his girlfriend, walking down the street. He yelled at me "Don't you think you're too fat to be doing that". I mentioned I was on my sixth mile, and that he was looking a tad out of breath walking. He looked suitably shamefaced.

I've had a carful of men woof at me (seems commonish practice). I've had a carful of women hoot and laugh loudly.

I've had two men drive past me, and the man in the passenger seat wind down his window and slap my *kitten* as he drove past. Yeah, that was real nice. Good bruise to show for it.

It happens a LOT.

And no, I'm not making excuses. (that is truly a horrible thing to say - a nasty generalisation, that I've seen a few times too many lately, on this site.) I'm a big woman. I'm also a very fit woman, and I love being fit. I'm losing weight, I'm making changes. But don't tell us that our horrible experiences aren't real. They are.

Excellent post Meerkat. I have shared my story in the past about the attempts at humiliation I have been subjected to while exercising and without fail, someone will tell me I'm just making excuses.. UH, I'M not.... As I've stated, it has NOT detered me from exercise but. these are REAL events and for someone else who is perhaps more sensitive and more self conscious than I am it could really be a cause of anxiety and a genuine deterrent to exercise. ... and by the way, I've been slapped on the backside too while out exercising.. The fellow was SHOCKED when I turned around and confronted him rather loudly, in front of a bunch of onlookers. It pretty much ended with him cowering and begging me to leave him alone.. LOL... I think that's why most of the insults and physical assaults (hitting on the *kitten*, throwing sodas etc) are from people people in moving vehicles... because they can get away fast before I bring my wrath down upon them.....COWARDS!
    There's a scene in a movie I absolutely love: a guy slaps the girls behind, and she turns around and grabs his ****. Whereafter his demeanour suddenly isn't so brave anymore :laughing:
    Not sure if I'd have the guts to pull that off, but I would likely punch someone who tried (or really wish I did, whilst being too baffled about how rude people can be)...

It's completely reasonable to carry pepper spray in case harassment gets nasty.
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I stopped training in Kickboxing and bjj cause I feel like a fat slob and the gym is full of mirrors. I stayed at home and got fatter. Now I do rushfit at home with curtains closed so I don't need to feel ashamed I am losing weight and I will lose enough to not feel like a fat slob I will train again
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I've run outside at 170lb and at 125lb.

Some idiots will shout at you whatever....
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Actually, I forgot to add to my earlier reply, that when I go for a run I always wear an ipod, if anybody does, or indeed, has done in the past, shouted at me, I wouldn't hear them anyway and to them it most likely would look like I couldn't give a toss what they have said, when in actual fact, I just never heard them.

Ironically, I can always hear traffic though :huh:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

It happens a LOT.

Agreed, but really... it's already a pain in the *kitten* to carry keys, water bottle, music device, health card (in case something does happen)... why is it not reasonable to expect people to treat each other with the dignity and respect we should all deserve?

oh and for listening to music during outdoor exercise being dangerous- I either keep the volume low enough to hear around me or only keep one earbud in (obv, doesn't help to not hear remarks though)
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I'm fat. I wear skin tight clothes to the gym.. (comfier for me) and I work it like a beast. Sweat rolling all over everywhere... I DGAF what anyone thinks. I bust my *kitten* off. I'm not reluctant to exercise or go to the gym.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm fat. I wear skin tight clothes to the gym.. (comfier for me) and I work it like a beast. Sweat rolling all over everywhere... I DGAF what anyone thinks. I bust my *kitten* off. I'm not reluctant to exercise or go to the gym.

Amen Sister!
  • Kiwigirlkim
    Options
    I see an overweight person running and all I think is " good for them!" I ran for 2 minutes on my treadmill I thought I was going to have a heart attack called my husband telling him I think I need CPR!

Good god, I don't know how they do it!

I think if I was running and somebody called out a name to me I'd probably find a stick or a rock and throw it at their car. Because they would chase me, I'd run home screaming!

But, I would have had my run for the day, got my heart pumping and probably lost a few kilos!!! Haha

Bless all you runners and skinny people! My boss is skinny she eats Chips and biscuits all day I want to hit her with the chair!!!
  • Kiwigirlkim
    Options

It happens a LOT.

Agreed, but really... it's already a pain in the *kitten* to carry keys, water bottle, music device, health card (in case something does happen)... why is it not reasonable to expect people to treat each other with the dignity and respect we should all deserve?

oh and for listening to music during outdoor exercise being dangerous- I either keep the volume low enough to hear around me or only keep one earbud in (obv, doesn't help to not hear remarks though)

Sorry, but I laughed so hard when I saw PEPPER SPRAY!