60 pounds lost no pants sizes. :(

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Let me make you feel better. I have lost 70 pounds, and I'm just under 200 pounds and wearing a size 20.

ETA:

NO ONE at my height and weight wears a bigger sized pants than me.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Aah i thought I added everything. I am short but like i said I've seen people my exactly height (5'1) and my exact weight (156) and my exact body shape (pear) wearing a size 10...:/

I focus on my legs for work outs because I want them to shrink so i can fit into pants that aren't huge and my pants don't stretch or anything. I have have pants the next size down that are 10x's too tight on me. Basically once I measured my hips and I found out i've lost like 20 and my hips are still the same size I was so angry aah. So i do inner and outer thigh work and i use an elliptical. I have major problems with my back so i can't do a lot of stuff.

count yourself lucky i'm 12lbs lighter, 2" shorter and i'm just now squeezing into a 10. oh did i mention i'm pear shaped. i'm a shorty short girl with a big ole butt.
  • sbatz111
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost 113 pounds and only 2 or 3 sizes, depending on the brand. I carry most of my weight in my belly, and it's the last to lose anything, so while pants are big around my legs, I haven't lost much in my waist.

Stay strong though, it'll come off eventually!
  • cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm in a semi-similar situation. I wore size 17 pants which fit comfortably at a weight of 185. I'm now 161 in pants size 15. The waists of the pants are too big but I can't drop a size because my thighs are too big!! Soooo frustrating. I lose all my weight in the waist first. In high school I weighed 140 and wore a size 11 so that's my goal. My thighs just refuse to shrink. Same story with my love handles/hips. Ugh. I've started doing the C25k program on the treadmill but still no shrinkage on the thighs or hips. Just have to keep on keepin' on. My motivation is a cruise I'm going on in April and 2 dresses I want to buy for it. I keep pictures of the dresses to look at when I need motivation. I also set up rewards for myself every 5 pounds or so. @159 I get to buy those boots I've wanted for years, @ 154 that necklace and earring set, @149 those two dresses I want! etc.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We pears have a tough row to hoe. I might suggest following the advice to focus on strength and resistance training to trim up your hips and thighs, in addition to cardio to burn fat. Something like pilates (or the FIRM has a dvd called Sculptilates which is a combo of Yoga and Pilates with a resistance band. My hips, belly, behind and thighs are the last to shrink. How about shirts? I'm a Med- large in shirts but have wide hips and big thighs. I could wear a size 10 pant were it not for my thighs and belly.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    So I started investigating it, found out the problem was too high % fat AKA too little muscle. This was from losing weight initially with diet only, no exercise and without enough protein in my diet. Seriously. Later I started exercising but only cardio- kept losing weight without losing the lower body fat.

What has helped me (is helping me) reproportion is weight lifting. I have been lifting for 2 years and have dropped my pants size down from initially 16 (before the diet), to 12 (diet and cardio - but I was 8 up top), now FINALLY to 8. Still working on it- though I never thought I'd get below 12!

First, ^^^^ this.

Second, stop comparing yourself to other people. You'll always fall short.

Third, put on a pair of pants that you wore 60 pounds heavier and compare. They will either be falling off of your or fit because they were painted on before.

Fourth, congrats on 60# lost!!! Woo Hoo!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I focus on my legs for work outs because I want them to shrink so i can fit into pants that aren't huge and my pants don't stretch or anything. So i do inner and outer thigh work and i use an elliptical. I have major problems with my back so i can't do a lot of stuff.

Not sure that this will help you shrink your legs. If you are doing weights and focusing on your legs the muscles will get bigger, not necessarily making your legs smaller. Your best bet is to work on your upper body with weights to balance out your shape. More muscle will help you burn more calories, but you don't necessarily want that extra muscle in your legs!

I also agree with one of the previous posters about adding cardio to burn more fat. :smile:

Good luck!
  • Kennedyjules84
    Kennedyjules84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Three things to be glad about:

1. Being pear-shaped is actually not a bad thing, because carrying excess weight in your hips/thighs leads to far fewer health problems than carrying it around your middle near your vital organs. Obviously it's best not to carry around excess fat anywhere, but this is something I've read over and over, and as a big-butt person myself, it makes me feel better.

2. You say you've been focusing on leg exercises to make your legs leaner, but due to those exercises, you are probably replacing some of the fat with muscle. Your legs aren't necessarily slimming down yet because they're too busy getting stronger.

3. I guarantee you look 100x better in those pants now than you did before.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    What type of workouts do you do? Are you doing any strength training? If not, definitely add it in. You'll firm up faster and see some great results!

Also, everyone here starts at a different place. Some people have more than 100 lbs. to lose and some have quite a bit less. If you started out with a lot of lose, then it might take a little while to see a change. However, once you drop a size, you might find you drop another rather quickly. I'm short and five pounds can make the difference in whether I go up or down a size. That's just me. But if when I weighed 70 pounds more, it took a lot more than five pounds to drop a size. Does that make sense?

Please don't give up. I have a feeling you'll see a change very soon!:flowerforyou:
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    You definitely aren't alone! I've been so frustrated with mine as well. I've lost 30 pounds total, and not a single pant size. Even when I was a hundred pounds dripping wet, I had "womanly" hips and thighs. I carry all my weight around my hips. I'm a shorty too, 5'3".

It can be really disheartening, but just keep your measurements for all over your body. Take every inch lost from wherever as a success. But the biggest thing? Just stop worrying about the number on the tag. I taught myself to ignore it, and now I just concentrate on what fits and what looks right and don't even bother with the number. I even go up sizes when I want things to drape a certain way, and I don't feel a bit of remorse!

I'm doing T25 and weightlifting now, so I have my fingers crossed I'll see some slimming! :-) Good luck to you, and just don't get disheartened!
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're pair shaped, I can understand how you might be a size 16 still. Your hips and bottom are probably the last areas to lose the fat. Keep going! When I was 155 pounds WITHOUT hips and butt (my butt is flat and I have no hips), I was wearing size 12, so that's why I think size 16 doesn't sound abnormal at all. I have lost 30-some pounds and went from size 12 pants to a size 4. However, I'm still wearing size medium shirts! That's because my weight up above is the last part to lose fat. Everybody loses fat at different locations. I also have a feeling when you were 60 pounds heavier, you were probably wearing the wrong size pants.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I have a big tummy......................and that's where I carry my excess weight. I should be able to wear a 12 or even a 10........but 14's still persist. However, 20+ lbs ago, I was in a size 18!

But your genetic body type is hard to conquer..........I wish you well. 60 lbs is a LOT of weight - much success to you!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My problem area is my lower abdomen. I've slimmed noticeably around my chest, arms and legs but due to my problem area being the last to go, there's not much difference in pant sizes. I started at 18's and am just *barely* starting to wear some 16's.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My measurements have changed but I'm still wearing the same jeans size and I've tried on 15 juniors and they're extremely tight on me. I mean I even have 16s that fit me when I was younger and heavier and they're too tight still.

Just so you know, junior size run smaller than misses. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by trying to fit into a juniors size.

I started at size 16 (US). I'm now in 14's. I have a size 15 Junior that there's no way in heck I can fit into. It's more of a size 12 in misses, if I were to compare them.

Just wanted to warn you, lol. It's kind of silly, because I mean, numerically you'd think 15 would fit before a 14 would :P
  • molliethehyena
    Options
    Is it possible it is just your bone structure? I am an 'apple' or 'banana' but now that I am closer to my goal weight, I have discovered my hip bones are rather wide, but I just don't carry much weight on them, so even after I reach goal (about 20 more lb to go), I will probably only go down maybe one more pant size, which is a bummer because I had wanted to get down to a nice low number. :( lol
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have lost 56 pounds and until last month I had not changed pants size from a 24 and then all of a sudden I went formal 24 to an 18 and in the same week could wear a 16 ...now a month later I can wear most 16's and a few 14's from Old Navy (Which is wear my favorite fitting jeans used to come from ... I bought a 14 for next month and couldn't believe it fits me. Now ,It's tight don't get me wrong but it is not camel toe tight hahaha. I'm too old for that .... I'm not silly enough to think I am "In a 14 " but I'm in at least 2 of them. I'm sure I can't just go to any store and put a 14 on. so I shop where I can right now. It may be the same for you all of a sudden you will fit in smaller pants.

Good luck !
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So...what happens if you put on the *same exact pants* that you wore when you were 60 lbs heavier? How do they fit?

I find it hard to believe that your measurements haven't changed after losing that much weight, but easy to believe that the sizing of jeans is incredibly inconsistent and shouldn't be taken to heart. I've got 16s that I can't get past my thighs and 12s that I'm swimming in. Just go with what fits and cut out the label if the size bothers you that much.

I don't have them anymore I gave them to my mom. My measurements have changed but I'm still wearing the same jeans size and I've tried on 15 juniors and they're extremely tight on me. I mean I even have 16s that fit me when I was younger and heavier and they're too tight still.

Yeah, there is your problem. A 15 and 16 are no where near the same size. I can wear a ladies 12 and it fit like a junior 19. Crazy.

Also, size change over time. I still have a pair of 10 Calvins that I wore when I was 130 lbs in the 80s. Now, at 180, I couldn't get one leg in them. But if I am willing to pay enough, I could find a size 10 today that would fit me. It is called Vanity sizing.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Hmm, (please don't take this as offensive), but did you have a 'muffin top' or a fair amount of weight on the belly before? Some people carry their weight differently than others -- one of my friends wears pants one size smaller with a 70 lb weight drop. This is because he carried all his weight on his belly and belted his pants underneath the belly.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    The grass is always greener...I have wished I was a pear instead of an apple. I've lost 45 pounds and gone from a 18-20 in pants to a loose 14, but only one size in tops. My last 25 lb is all around my middle, so many pants that fit in the waist are falling off my hips and butt. I would imagine you have the opposite problem. Be proud of what you've lost. You'll find clothes that fit eventually. I bet you look great in a dress!
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    congrats on your 60 lbs. Im a pear too and short,5f t 1 inch, so i can relate.
    i think all possibilities have already been mentioned, perhaps pants too tight before or worn way below belly,different brands etc.
    just for the record I think ive read that besides genetics, high estrogen may cause fat distributed there, and read that a pituitary disorder can also do it and that manganese is good for the pituitary gland.:smile: