Why are overweight / obese people reluctant to exercise?

Options

Replies

• chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I can relate. When I wanted to start running I was so afraid people were going to be watching me and laughing and judging,etc etc. Eventually the desire to do it overcame those feelings and I'm doing my first half marathon Sunday and I am still 220 pounds. Don't ever let someone (even yourself, especually yourself!!!!) hold you back. I have never gotten one bad word from anyone, but I'm sure people have looked and me and judged how slow I run or how awful I look, but I don't care. All the people who stop me and say "good job" tell me I'm doing great or comment on my determination makes it worth it :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    People still stare at me running but I think its the giant boobs.
  • jfurrrr
    jfurrrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There comes a point in time when people need to get over feeling sorry for themselve/being self concious....

That is true but I just read a post where someone was there and out walking hit a red light so jogged on the spot to keep their heart rate up...

A Car full of young girls drove by laughed at them and yelled out as they drove away "You're Still FAT!!!!"...

so it isn't always about how you are feeling before you exercise it could be what is happening as you exercise.

I was just about to mention that post too.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Who said running or the gym are the only ways to exercise? I can't afford the gym and am not fond of running, even before my knee issues put a damper on running of any kind, any time. But when I decided to start exercising that was no excuse -- there's always walking and if you really just don't want to go out and be seen plenty of beginner exercise vids to do at home where no one will see you or comment except maybe your furry kids. My preference --Fitness Blender. But I started out just walking and riding my bike and then discovered FB for rainy days. Now I alternate based on weather and what I feel like doing that day. Even got a stationary bike at Salvation Army for $2 for another private, weather-friendly option. But when I was overweight - all my rationalizations for not exercising were just excuses and justification for not doing what I didn't really WANT to do anyway. So I'd rationalize why it was OK, not really in my control anyway.....until I decided that it WAS and stopped deluding myself and accepting my own excuses. I would suspect that alot of the reluctance is just that.....because yes, people can be mean and no, that's not fun and it's discouraging. BUT, if you really decide that your health is worth the effort, you can find ways around that whether that means just learning to tune them out and not let it affect you (since it's a reflection on their character not yours anyway!!); or keeping your exercise to private arenas where there is no comparing, body shaming or rude, small-minded and hearted people to drag you down. I would say that if anyone says they are reluctant to exercise because of their body, it is a red herring to distract from the fact that their motivation to change isn't really fully locked in and they just want to justify not doing something they feel they really "should" do but don't really want to because it requires stepping out of the comfort of the status quo --which may not be great but has the advantage of familiar and "safe." I totally understand that because that was me 2 years ago. But I also know that nothing changed until I refused to settle for status quo anymore and force myself to do things I really didn't want to do for the sake of my health so I know how shallow and fake the justifications and rationalizations can be, even if the discouragement and hurts are real. When I decided it was worth my time and effort, none of that mattered anymore. So it's really just all a matter of how you look at it and how motivated you really are -- and "shoulds" never motivated anybody to do anything and stick to it over the long term. You have to find and grab onto that deeper "want to" before discipline is ever going to overcome natural disinclination.
  • RangiRose
    Options
    I'm fat. I wear skin tight clothes to the gym.. (comfier for me) and I work it like a beast. Sweat rolling all over everywhere... I DGAF what anyone thinks. I bust my *kitten* off. I'm not reluctant to exercise or go to the gym.

Amen Sister!

X2 ...:bigsmile:
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Personally, even though I have lost the weight that I needed to now, I am still not in great habits when it comes to exercise. I have successfully managed to change my eating habits, but the simple fact is that I am lazy - and that isn't great when you want to get fit. I work from home as a writer, and I'm a workaholic, so I wonder why I'd go out to exercise for an hour when I could be earning. Probably something I will regret later in life, but sadly, right now, it's true.

I am a little better than I was when I started, though, in that if I have a day off I will go for a walk, whereas in the past I would have sat in front of the TV and eaten snacks. But I do need to get a grip. I wish I could skip the "start" phase and go forward maybe a year where I'm in the routine and can cope with it. I have no doubts that I'd enjoy running if I was fitter, and that to GET fitter I have to GO running.. but like a lot of people I'm all talk/thought and no action right now.

But at least I managed to lose the weight I suppose; better than nothing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of not surprised about how many people keep citing the "You're still fat" exclamation thread from last week, but I still think people need to bear in mind that a-holes target people pretty indiscriminately because that's simply the way they are.

Like I said previously, I've run outside at 170lb and at 125lb and the level of harrassment or relative abuse running in an inner city in my experience doesn't actually change very much. You get harrassed whatever!!

When at 125lb and probably the fittest and leanest I've ever been, I have had....

- half empty beer can thrown out of a car in me and my friend's direction while out running, by some chav youth "cruising"... my friend got drenched
    - been virtually forced into the gutter while riding clipped in on my road bike by 4 males in a car, where the passenger was trying to touch my butt and I could hear him encouraging the driver to get closer because he couldn't quite reach yet... I recalled the number plate on my way home and reported it to police but nothing was ever done...
    - verbal harrassment is a regular occurrance, usually of the sexist variety...
    - people trying to run with you... usually bored youth.... thankfully they're not very fit and don't last long but can be quite intimidating
    - drivers driving up from behing and slamming on their horn just to make you jump out of their skin... that gives them a right good laugh...

It's not nice and it happens... but being harrassed while exercising outside happens to all of us sometimes whatever size you are... it's not a fat issue.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of not surprised about how many people keep citing the "You're still fat" exclamation thread from last week, but I still think people need to bear in mind that a-holes target people pretty indiscriminately because that's simply the way they are.

Like I said previously, I've run outside at 170lb and at 125lb and the level of harrassment or relative abuse running in an inner city in my experience doesn't actually change very much. You get harrassed whatever!!

When at 125lb and probably the fittest and leanest I've ever been, I have had....

- half empty beer can thrown out of a car in me and my friend's direction while out running, by some chav youth "cruising"... my friend got drenched
    - been virtually forced into the gutter while riding clipped in on my road bike by 4 males in a car, where the passenger was trying to touch my butt and I could hear him encouraging the driver to get closer because he couldn't quite reach yet... I recalled the number plate on my way home and reported it to police but nothing was ever done...
    - verbal harrassment is a regular occurrance, usually of the sexist variety...
    - people trying to run with you... usually bored youth.... thankfully they're not very fit and don't last long but can be quite intimidating
    - drivers driving up from behing and slamming on their horn just to make you jump out of their skin... that gives them a right good laugh...

It's not nice and it happens... but being harrassed while exercising outside happens to all of us sometimes whatever size you are... it's not a fat issue.

I agree that we can be harassed at any size.. but when you've been out there at over 300 pounds you see it differently.. Even now, at 238 pounds the harassment based on my weight is MUCH less than it was at 360... So I imagine that when I am down to 170 it will be even less
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Yeah all I'm saying is that many people seem to be under the impression that by losing some weight the whole world will change, you're whole life will be suddenly amazing and perfect and everyone will be really nice to you, but that's a bit of a fallacy.

Sadly there are bored a-holes everywhere just looking for someone, ANYONE to harass, ridicule or pick on, and whatever size you are you can't afford to let people like that determine what you do in life.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym, bought a Fitbit and signed up here all on the same day. I got to the stage where I was sick of kidding myself although I was fat (morbidly obese actually and with honesty I didn't have with myself at the start of this year) I was still fit enough to do the stuff I enjoyed (camping, kayaking SUP boarding). Before March of this year I was relucant to exercise for a number of reasons:

1) I was kidding myself I didn't really need to (yeah right! I got out of breath going up a single flight of stairs and doing my shoes up made me pant!).
    2) I was exhausted just from living a sedentary life because of the weight I was carrying
    3) Being out of breath hurts, as do knees, ankles, back, hips, shoulders when carrying 300+lbs around
    4)I don't actively seek out public humiliation (also a 'victim' of acr shouters).

What changed was the realisation that the only person who was suffering was me. I joined a gym and the guy who did my induction was brilliant - he basically ignored my size whilst still setting me an appropriate exercise plan so didn't scare me off! I started off with loads of swimming, then moved onto the elliptical and then dared to start C25K on the treadmill. All the time I was eating at a deficit and losing about 2lbs a week. Somewhere along the way I found a love of running and one beautiful early Sunday morning headed outdoors rather than to the gym. Headphones in, head down and ignored everybody I ran and loved it. Since then I've done at least one longish run (for me ie 3-5miles) a week outdoors, climbed a mountain (only a small one, really a hill but a big one mentally!), have signed up for a big 10k race and am planning on a couple of long hill hikes before winter sets in. I am 41 years old and decided I'm too old to give a %^$£ about some spotty oik in a car or some skinny chaining smoking moron who decided that they can yell abuse as I run past, red faced and panting but doing something they're not and probably aren't capable of ie running!

However, I can understand 100% why people don't exercise and its far more than reluctance its a mental battle for the reasons I've listed and probably more for other individuals. All I'd say is I hope my story above helps encourage just one person to walk a bit more or go for a swim. It feels fabulous to be fit and I can't wait until I'm thin and fit!
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Most people I know aren't usually reluctant to go to the gym, but they are reluctant to go BACK to the gym.

People can be down right vicious at the gym, screaming at people who don't understand the unwritten rules, or didn't see the small post it in the bottom corner of the message board under the sign up sheet for super spin insanity, making sarcastic comments about the person's body, abilities, etc. seems to be their new version of primal screaming, getting into other people's personal space.

Paying hard earned money to be humiliated and bullied isn't everyone's cup of tea, and being told to suck it up, deal with it, grow some balls, or other not so helpful advice isn't really going to help the situation. And in small centers you can't always just go to another gym, and ordering gym equipment can be prohibitively expensive.

Some people also have social anxiety, personal history, etc. that can make the gym an uncomfortable place to be no matter what size they are.

Additionally not everyone lives somewhere that they can enjoy the "free" outdoors due to temperatures, air quality, or safety factors.

As for not exercising at all...after being told they can't do it for so many years, that they are fat, lazy, worthless, maybe they begin to believe it. So when they try, and it is hard and seems near impossible, that just reinforces what they have already started to believe...that they aren't worth it.

It's infuriating the way we treat each other, and rip and tear at each other, as if we can really build ourselves up using the pieces we have torn off other people.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Most people I know aren't usually reluctant to go to the gym, but they are reluctant to go BACK to the gym.

People can be down right vicious at the gym, screaming at people who don't understand the unwritten rules, or didn't see the small post it in the bottom corner of the message board under the sign up sheet for super spin insanity, making sarcastic comments about the person's body, abilities, etc. seems to be their new version of primal screaming, getting into other people's personal space.

It's a big room with toys in it- certainly there will be some rub.

as for 'unwritten rules' of the gym.

There are only a few- and anyone who is over the age of 2 should know these rules- as they are the same rules as any parent would have for their child.

1.) put something back where you found it
    2.) don't take something that isn't yours- or is being used already.

3.) not a child's rule- but it's pretty frigging common sense DON"T CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK.

the rest of the 'unwritten rules' would be

4.) Dont' talk loudly on your cell phone near people, or occupying equipment. (that's a pretty common courtesy rule ANYWHERE for ANYONE)
    5.) don't stand in the middle of a walk way or on equipment just talking- stand off to the side if you are going to make idle chit chat.
    6.) watch out for people ACTUALLY working- if I'm doing walking lunges- and you have your head buried up your phones shpinctor muscle... and you run into me with 75 lbs on my back? I'm going to throw it at you.

otherwise- I don't give a rat's butt what you do.

All this hate the gyms? I've NEVER seen it. I've seen some strong side eye.. sure- but I've met some really wonderful people who were REALLY over weight- and if they cross my path I have no problem introducing myself- talking to them whatever. I treat all people equally.

and all I REALLY care about is pay attention so you don't get in the way of a lift.. .and put your crap back.

otherwise- do whatever you want. All this hate and nastiness? I've never seen it... and I work out in a 'snobby' gym. It's a wealthy area- so the people there CAN be snobby- but 9/10 everyone has headphones on- and they just want to work out and leave- they don't care about anything else.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I want to get back into running, I'm a little overweight, but nothing major (I'm well in "normal" clothing sizes)
    However, we live at the top of a really steep hill, and I'm not ready to run up and down hills yet. There's a plateau just a few minutes walk away that's around 675m to the end of the street and back, all on the flat.
    I've considered just running laps of this, but I feel embarrassed at the thought, of "what if people look out their kitchen windows and see me, just going up and down the street. how dumb will I look"

I know it's totally irrational, but I can't really explain it.

I do that. And i walk and run late at night for that reason. Plus at night there's less traffic. (Less chances of being heckled), and here in Texas if you go at night, it's just cooler.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Yeah all I'm saying is that many people seem to be under the impression that by losing some weight the whole world will change, you're whole life will be suddenly amazing and perfect and everyone will be really nice to you, but that's a bit of a fallacy.

Sadly there are bored a-holes everywhere just looking for someone, ANYONE to harass, ridicule or pick on, and whatever size you are you can't afford to let people like that determine what you do in life.

This is true.
  • smantha32
    Options

Paying hard earned money to be humiliated and bullied isn't everyone's cup of tea, and being told to suck it up, deal with it, grow some balls, or other not so helpful advice isn't really going to help the situation. And in small centers you can't always just go to another gym, and ordering gym equipment can be prohibitively expensive.

I've never had any of this happen to me at the gym. But I usually join women only gyms. I don't know if that makes a difference.
  • smantha32
    Options

There are only a few- and anyone who is over the age of 2 should know these rules- as they are the same rules as any parent would have for their child.

3.) not a child's rule- but it's pretty frigging common sense DON"T CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK.

4.) Dont' talk loudly on your cell phone near people, or occupying equipment. (that's a pretty common courtesy rule ANYWHERE for ANYONE)
    5.) don't stand in the middle of a walk way or on equipment just talking- stand off to the side if you are going to make idle chit chat.
    6.) watch out for people ACTUALLY working- if I'm doing walking lunges- and you have your head buried up your phones shpinctor muscle... and you run into me with 75 lbs on my back? I'm going to throw it at you.

7. Wipe down whatever machine you've just sweated buckets all over.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

8. Don't throw/slam weights
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

8. Don't throw/slam weights

9. Be excellent to each other.

Wait, that's something else.
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options

It's a big room with toys in it- certainly there will be some rub.

(sic)

The rules you stated were pretty normal.

This would be if the child had a special snowflake complex.

If the 2 year old's parent lets some kids play with the toys in the order they want, ie. "you $%@*()& fat %^&* I always use the elliptical after the treadmill, GET OFF THE MACHINE", and others have to use something else. Not on machines set up in a circuit or whatever, just random machines. Because it is easier to just "let her do her thing".

otherwise- I don't give a rat's butt what you do (sic) I have no problem introducing myself- talking to them whatever. I treat all people equally....All this hate and nastiness? I've never seen it... and I work out in a 'snobby' gym.

I've never had anyone personally treat me like that, at hotel gyms, random gyms, etc. but I find people are usually nice to me because...actually I have no idea why...but they tend to strike up conversations with me and are generally pleasant. The worst I have ever experienced was someone annoyed that I didn't know how to use a machine, and saying I should have read the manual before booking time on it. I just turned my music up, and a few minutes later I was going strong.

I've met way more people like you. Pleasant. Goal oriented.

Then when I was in group (weight loss related) and a few people were talking about their horrific experiences I thought they must be exaggerating, until I went with them and saw how one group treated them.

Thankfully from the replies here it seems to be fairly uncommon.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Who are these naive people you're referring to? I see no evidence of these posts?

I think you might have also missed the reality of people's lived experiences of street harrassment and other discrimination.

Yes, of course other women will have experienced street harrassment. As will some men. But I'm pretty confident it is a *whole* lot worse when you're a fat woman (or man) working out.