Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Options

Replies

• schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've had my mirena for 5 months and love it, no weight gain (I've lost almost 50 lbs since having it put in) and no moodiness. : / Guess I'm lucky?
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena for 4 years now... Im having it taken out next year and getting a new one put in.. I LOVE it... I can't take pills or use the patch they make me sick and the shot I would forget to go and get it... I didn't gain weight due to the Mirena.. no cravings... I gained weight cuz I started doing nothing at all.. I was eating bad and didn't really care..oh and I'm a stress eater. I have had a lot of stress in the past year... But a month ago I started watching what I eat and started Insanity and I started losing my weight... I have lost 6lbs in a month... I don't want to lose 20lbs in one month cuz thats not really healthy to do... but I want to lose it and I am..
  • millercrew6
    Options
    I've had mine almost 6 months, I've gained 20lbs and cannot lose a pound! I've hired a personal trainer two days a week, I'm logging my food and I've gained 1.5 more since I started. I've scheduled to have it removed, but can't get in for a couple weeks. Have you made any more progress? I just want some hope .
  • PGfarmGirl
    Options
    I've had my mirena in for a year now, and I believe is has keeps the pounds on me. My husband and I eat a low carb diet, exercise 30 minutes a day and I still haven't lost a single pound since giving birth. I've scheduled to have it removed next week. Wish me luck.
  • Sadiehunsaker11
    Options
    Quick version of my story with the mirena, I got it in two weeks after having my son. Before gettin pregnant I was 140 lbs. after having him and initially getting mirena in I weighed 180 lbs. I had my son in 2011 and just barely got mirena removed a week ago! I was experiencing massive headaches sharp pains down left side of tummy, horrible cycles last anywhere from from two weeks to 26 days. Onery all the time! Not happy! Can't lost weight! I would weigh 175 then 165 every other month. We'll I when I went it the doctor had to pull it off my uteran wall because it was embedded. He said that explained my left side pains! It hurt so bad :(! So now I currently weigh 167 lbs and I hope I lose more!!
  • jaimiehewitt
    Options
    I've had the Mirena now for almost 5yrs. It just dawn to me that maybe the reason why I haven't lost the weight its because of the Mirena. I've heard that birth-control makes you gain the weight. Like the depo shot and all...but when I was on the depo or pills I gained the weight and it was easy to lose it. I had the Mirena put in about 10 weeks after I had my daughter. I was underweight when I was pregnant and gained 68lbs. I know I will not go back to 108lbs but my goal was always 125lbs. I am 140lbs and I've been between 135-140lbs every since I had it put in. I've put myself on a diet and nothing....I've worked out ever since and still do...now adding much more needed cardio (about 2months) and nothing. Its killing me and I don't know why I haven't lost the weight. So I decided to google losing weight after the Mirena taken out and saw this. I have to say....when I read your topic, I was like what the heck...could this be me too. I to have problems sleeping, which I've been taking melatonin for sleeping. My mood swings are horrible, sex drive (poor husband). I do love the fact I don't get periods, but it freaks me out, specially after I had cysts that had to be surgically removed. Cramps are the worse, which my doctor said that it was the cause of cysts. So yeah great...thanks Mirena. I also thought that since I had a C-section I am having much more trouble losing the belly fat. I will be removing it in April 2014, but I am really considering it sooner since now I see I am not the only one going through this. I never thought it could of been the Mirena but maybe it is...I hope that when I do take it out...I can reach my goal weight of 125lbs.
  • klroden
    Options
    I had the Merina for 2 years and at first I liked it but the longer I had it the more side effects I had with it. I could not loose weight for the life of me and I have gained so much weight that this is the heaviest I have ever been. So yesterday I did a lot of research and I..... removed it myself!! and I am so glad that I did not waste that money on something that took 2 seconds to do. I am already starting to feel better in the day that it has been out and I cannot wait to see if I can start loosing weight now.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Apparently Mirena is the new gluten.

I've had mine for 2.5 years. Lost all my weight on it. Feel better than I have in years, but I also felt the worst in my life on it too...because I was miserably killing myself with food.

For 99% this is an excuse.
  • Chickypooo
    Options
    I also just took out my mirena myself about 30 minutes ago!! I've gained about 10 pounds since I've had it inserted 9 months ago. My diet hasn't changed and I've actually worked out more than I have in the past. I have the worst acne I've ever had in my entire life, my periods are regular but actually last longer. Not to mention I was bleeding for about 2 months after having it inserted. Hoping that this weight comes off!!
  • BMoxie2013
    BMoxie2013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have had it taken out (long and short term), can you respond to how you're doing now? This Friday, I'm getting mine out. Thanks. I know all the stories are nightmares on line so even if it was a good/fairly reasonable reaction, I'd love to hear it!!!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am on my third Mirena and for the majority of the 15 yrs have remained between 105-125lbs. My weight crept up about 2 years ago to 172lbs but I certainly can't attribute that to the Mirena - more like the crappy foods I crammed into my mouth and sheer laziness!
  • Chickypooo
    Options
    For those of you who have had it taken out (long and short term), can you respond to how you're doing now? This Friday, I'm getting mine out. Thanks. I know all the stories are nightmares on line so even if it was a good/fairly reasonable reaction, I'd love to hear it!!!

It's been four days since I've taken my mirena out. I've lost two pounds and my waist is two inches smaller. I no longer feel bloated and my clothes fit better. I must say I haven't changed my eating habits/exercise habits either. I don't feel fatigued or irritable anymore. I started to bleed heavily since it's removed which is the only negative side effect. Best decision I've made was taking the mirena out. Will keep updating!!
  • Aimbo
    Aimbo Posts: 2
    Options
    I am so glad I found this post! I am 36 my son is16. I had my first Mirena coil fitted 6 weeks after his birth, I was 20 at the time. So for the majority of my adult life I had this fitted. My periods prior to my pregnancy were very very heavy and I was diagnosed with endometriosis so Mirena was the best choice.

Since the Mirena my periods remained light to no existent but with frequent spotting so I have used panty liners everyday for 16 years! My libido dropped right after I had the coil fitted, I gained about 14lbs( that I have never lost) developed awful acne which I still get from time to time and began to feel low, sometimes very depressed. I put all this down to becoming a Mum and growing up. The acne has cost me hundreds to get treated and has only stopped in the last 12 months.

I have my last coil was changed 18 months ago. Since then my sex drive has stopped totally and this has had a big effect on marriage. I still love and fancy my hubby but I just have no interest in sex. The weight gain doesn't help my confidence. I was always a UK size 8, in the last 18 months that has risen to a size 12. I go to the gym 3 times per week, watch my calories, carb and fat in take, but haven't lost 1lb! I have also started getting very painful cramps and shooting pains in my thighs?

I started researching what the causes could be and everything points back to my coil. I have been reading this thread today and have made an appointment tomorrow to get mine removed. Worst case scenario the symptoms have nothing to do with the Mirena and I get one put back in a few months. Best case I start feel better like so many other women who have theirs removed.

Either way I will keep you posted! Wish me luck!
  • BMoxie2013
    Options
    Thanks Chickypoo for updating. I'm glad to hear you are doing well and I hope that is still the case. I finally get mine out tomorrow. I'm going to take measurements like you did just to see. The peace of mind I will feel above all else is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Aimbo, how many Mirenas have you had? I will be getting mine out tomorrow as well. We can compare notes! I plan on updating here for other ladies. Good luck to you. Here's to best case scenarios! :) Libidos, weight loss and happiness.
  • Aimbo
    Aimbo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I have had three in total. With no breaks in between. I am not even sure what I am like without synthetic hormones!

I am just hoping that my sex drive and moods improve, anything else is a bonus! :wink:
  • BMoxie2013
    Options
    Had mine out around 1pm. It's 2:40 and I already feel like a pressure valve went off. Less bloated. My doctor, who I thought was going to put up a fight for me to keep it (he pushed it for so long before I finally accepted), barely asked why. The nurse was not surprised by my symptoms and the whole process took all of 5 minutes. I have been having a pain for a couple of months, near my left ovary, so I am scheduled for an ultrasound next week. Other than that, the removal was a little crampy, about 5 minutes of light headedness and now, I'm so comfortable in my own skin...it's been months since I've felt that way. I thought I was one of the "lucky ones" that hadn't been affected by the side effects. But progressively, I've gotten worse over the last six months and they were enough for me to become obsessed with how this thing was affecting me. Good luck to everyone. I will check back to keep posting. There's not many updates on the internet of how people are doing after. Peace of mind is everything.
  • BMoxie2013
    Options
    It's been 3 days and I am feeling so much better. No real weight loss but so much less bloated, like I said before, comfortable in my own skin. I feel that fog lift and just more like myself. It's crazy how long I let myself feel so yucky. It happened so slowly that I didn't realize my body was feeling that bad. My libido has not come at me full force but I'm still spotting. I feel like I'm waiting for something to happen, physically and emotionally. Meanwhile, I'm just enjoying feeling so different. It's good. Relief. Hope this helps someone out there. I will post back at 1 wk.
  • princessarin
    princessarin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not crazy. It's been 2 years since I got the Mirena and I have had the worst side effects. I've gained 20 pounds, huge bloating in my stomach, tired all the time, moody, depressed, acne, no libido, and I still get my period every 3 to 4 weeks (which lasts for 8 days). All during this, I never even considered it might be the Mirena. Everyone just kept telling me to work harder. I exercise 6 times a week and keep my calories under 1400. I never lost a single pound, which was strange since I have been able to loose the weight with my other 3 kids. My doctor was baffled and finally put me on a weight loss pill to help. I was on it for 3 months and only lost 1 pound. He could not figure out what was the problem. I'm on pills for my depression and it just keeps getting worse. I visited the dermatologist and am on prescription lotion and still break out like crazy. I even went to a sleep clinic last week to try and figure out why I am soooooo tired. Nothing. Nobody has had any answers for me. Then about a week ago I was getting ready and thought "What if it's the Mirena?". It is the ONLY factor I haven't looked into. I have friends who have had the Mirena with no problems, but I think it's different for everyone. I'm scheduled to get it out on Halloween and I really think this is the answer I have been desperately searching for, for the last 2 years. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's the culprit because I am so sensitive to every kind of medicine.
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I definitely lost weight after I got the Mirena taken out. I think it's because it made me so insanely depressed. I got it taken out September of last year, and by Christmas I had lost 35 lbs. I started MFP in October and that helped a lot, but I'm not sure I could have stuck to it if I was still on Mirena.

It works great for some people and not at all for others. Wish I hadn't kept it in for three years before realizing it was affecting me so much.
  • As I'm reading this I can't stop crying. This is how I am now, I cry over everything. I'm happy that I've found others who are going through the same things as me.

I've had the Mirena in for nearly 6 months and straight away I got acne. I've never had acne in my life. I've got horrible oily hair and gain 4kgs in a week. I've been constantly sick the last 6 months with throat infections, chest infections and have felt tired and miserable. I have horrible brain fog and forget things all the time. The worst thing of all is I got the Mirena inserted to stop my horrific, painful periods. Well it hasn't stopped them. I have had a heavy 6 month period. That's right, I haven't stopped bleeding so therefore I have no sex drive.

Thank you for writing your experiences, I'm booking a doctors appointment on Monday to get this thing out of me. I could have dealt with the weight gain but bleeding for 6 months is killing me and my relationship with my husband.

I will come back and write about how I feel after having it out :)