Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In, because awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So the fact that some part of someone's life includes making money means that everything about their life, all their opinions and information, are crap? Well there's goes just about every single scientist, researcher, academic and doctor. They're all selling something, and according to your guys' logic, that means they're crackpots.

Honestly, have your opinions, everyone does, but rather than bashing someone else's, try these newfangled ideas called RESPECT and POLITENESS. Disagree politely, don't bash.

Honestly, these forums have gotten more and more unfriendly as time has gone on, and I'm finding it less and less useful to be here with people who'd rather spend their days laughing at others rather than having intelligent discussion. You can disagree with others and still be kind about it you know.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-sugar/#axzz2i6sECFfm

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/#axzz2i6sECFfm

Here are two articles that help explain why sugar isn't all that healthy for us. Mark's usually pretty good about linking to the studies he's referring to if you want to look at the actual science; he's just put it all together into one convenient place.

I do agree that it's wrong to demonize any food or say it's something you can never eat; I think the point of life isn't to live by a rigid list of foods you can and can't eat, but to be informed about what different foods do to your body and make the choices you want to and need to to live a happy and healthy life. Is sugar going to play a big role in that? Probably not; it DOES have a lot of drawbacks and not too many good points, but that doesn't mean it can't be a part of your life if that's what you want.

Really? A low-carb, paleo/primal propaganda site?
    Saw it coming a mile away...........blog posts passed as science

Propaganda, really? Is that what we call personal opinions based on scientific studies. Also, yes, they're blog posts, but did you notice the part where I specifically stated that there are usually links directly within the blog to the science it's based on? Are textbooks now propaganda simply because they are a bringing together of information in one easy to access place? At least read things before you start making unintelligent criticism.

I have. I've read many of his blogs and an entire one of his books. The guy is an idiot.

I've read all his books, used to spend all my free time his site and followed his plan for several months-I agree with you that he's a quack :tongue: He's no different than all the others out there pushing their man made, processed supplements while promoting them as 'clean' and 'natural.' The guy's selling stuff that people don't need while promoting a diet that's based on utter silliness. I regret I fell for it, because I ended up having nasty and embarrassing side effects eating primal/paleo. Live and learn!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Here are two articles that help explain why sugar isn't all that healthy for us. Mark's usually pretty good about linking to the studies he's referring to if you want to look at the actual science; he's just put it all together into one convenient place.

I do agree that it's wrong to demonize any food or say it's something you can never eat; I think the point of life isn't to live by a rigid list of foods you can and can't eat, but to be informed about what different foods do to your body and make the choices you want to and need to to live a happy and healthy life. Is sugar going to play a big role in that? Probably not; it DOES have a lot of drawbacks and not too many good points, but that doesn't mean it can't be a part of your life if that's what you want.

Propaganda, really? Is that what we call personal opinions based on scientific studies. Also, yes, they're blog posts, but did you notice the part where I specifically stated that there are usually links directly within the blog to the science it's based on? Are textbooks now propaganda simply because they are a bringing together of information in one easy to access place? At least read things before you start making unintelligent criticism.

I have. I've read many of his blogs and an entire one of his books. The guy is an idiot.

I've read all his books, used to spend all my free time his site and followed his plan for several months-I agree with you that he's a quack :tongue: He's no different than all the others out there pushing their man made, processed supplements while promoting them as 'clean' and 'natural.' The guy's selling stuff that people don't need while promoting a diet that's based on utter silliness. I regret I fell for it, because I ended up having nasty and embarrassing side effects eating primal/paleo. Live and learn!

Me too, until I knew better.

I'm pretty sure that even at the time I wouldn't have leapt on my high horse and accused others of not being familiar with the material if they questioned my source.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • darkangel45422
    Options

I'm curious what negative side effects you had following a Primal lifestyle; I have to admit I've never heard of someone following that way of living having bad effects other than maybe an initial carb flu.

I will say I generally agree that powders and shakes and stuff aren't the best choices, and that a truly clean diet wouldn't include them, but I don't discount the lifestyle because of it. Take what works and leave the rest I say.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    So the fact that some part of someone's life includes making money means that everything about their life, all their opinions and information, are crap? Well there's goes just about every single scientist, researcher, academic and doctor. They're all selling something, and according to your guys' logic, that means they're crackpots.

Honestly, have your opinions, everyone does, but rather than bashing someone else's, try these newfangled ideas called RESPECT and POLITENESS. Disagree politely, don't bash.

Honestly, these forums have gotten more and more unfriendly as time has gone on, and I'm finding it less and less useful to be here with people who'd rather spend their days laughing at others rather than having intelligent discussion. You can disagree with others and still be kind about it you know.

Reductio ad absurdum
  • darkangel45422
    Options

I'm pretty sure that even at the time I wouldn't have leapt on my high horse and accused others of not being familiar with the material if they questioned my source.

There was no high horse thank you; I know based on comments from many people that they don't know much about the lifestyle beyond the sound bite. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular so the fact that some people have in fact read the material doesn't make my statement any less true that many people bash the lifestyle based off of nothing but conventional wisdom and prejudice.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Why don't you lead by example?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

There was no high horse thank you; I know based on comments from many people that they don't know much about the lifestyle beyond the sound bite. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular so the fact that some people have in fact read the material doesn't make my statement any less true that many people bash the lifestyle based off of nothing but science and peer reviewed studies.

FIFY :flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Here's a video explaining the fallacy behind paleo diets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Ahh I see. A member of the don't hurt my feelings, disagree with, say anything I don't want to hear, participation trophy for everyone crowd. Disagreement =/= rudeness or disrespect.

2dlj4mv.png
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Ahh I see. A member of the don't hurt my feelings, disagree with, say anything I don't want to hear, participation trophy for everyone crowd.

2dlj4mv.png

Why can't you just be nice?
  • IronSmasher
    Options

So this wasn't a continuation of the exchange, where you accuse someone of not reading, this was a general expression explaining that many people don't know much about paleo diets?

I'm pretty sure it's not just me, that doesn't seem to be how it reads.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

First you accuse someone of "making unintelligent criticism" and THEN you complain about a lack of respect and politeness?

:laugh:

Okee-doke...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Ahh I see. A member of the don't hurt my feelings, disagree with, say anything I don't want to hear, participation trophy for everyone crowd.

2dlj4mv.png

Why can't you just be nice?

sorry.gif
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Lots of us had silly ideas when we started out. But, then we learned and moved on. I'm grateful to those on MFP who didn't say "good job!", or "great idea!" to every dumb thing that I might have fallen for.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just looked at OP's diary - it explains a lot
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Scientists/researchers/academics sell their skills and knowledge to do more research and figure out what's actually happening in any given situation. That's the idea at least.

It's different when someone starts with a conclusion, figures out a way to market it, then handpicks others' studies that back up the conclusion while ignoring all of the ones that directly refute it.

There are also many who start as academics or scientists who get tired of applying for grants, publishing in journals and lecturing grad students and would rather write NY Times best sellers, be friends with Oprah and get on TV.