Smoothie FAILURE

Options
Today I tried to make my first smoothie for my breakfast. I was so excited, so happy I found a smoothie recipe. "I'm gonna make a smoothie! Woohoo." I screamed.

The recipe that I took from the internet had bananas, apples, oats (to fill up), milk and honey (to sweeten). And you ended it with a touch of cinnamon. When I mixed everything, it even looked good. But when I tasted ...... HORRIBLE. It felt horribly bad and wrong, worse would be IMPOSSIBLE. Fail.

I really wanted to start making smoothies occasionally for breakfast as an alternative to the oats that I always eat like every single freaking day!
But now I'm kinda getting scared of another failure in the kitchen so I'm asking you for help plz?

Do you guys know any Smoothies recipe for breakfast that is healthy and tastes good?

Replies

• caralay
    caralay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just make a simple smoothly in the morning.

I use frozen fruit , mango juice, quava juice, peach juice.. what ever your favorite juice is.
    and I also use FAGE 0% plain yogurt ( for the added protein and thickness for your smoothly)

If you are going to use fresh fruit then you need to add in ice cubes..

thats it.. blend it up and your ready to go..

-E.
  • newfiecandy4
    newfiecandy4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always start with a banana then add a handful of frozen berries, mango, or which ever fruit I have on hand. I then add almond milk (sometimes plain, vanilla, or dark chocolate), protein powder and blend. I got used to that mix when I started, and have since added at times 1/3 cup of spinach or 1/2 avocado or almond butter. My smoothies range from 180-340 calories depending on what I have planned to eat for the remainder of the day.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i make so many different smoothies. all so good. and simple.

#1. raw kale, grapes, banana, and almond milk.
    #2. chocolate protein powder, almond milk, pb2, banana, even add pudding cup or cookie butter.
    #3. almond milk, greek yogurt, fruit, chia seeds.

YUM
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • burbacka1132
    burbacka1132 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keep trying different combinations. My first couple weren't that good...so I just kept experimenting.

I've even added coffee in some morning smoothies.

Right now I like doing veggie and fruit combos...spinach, strawberries and banana plus water. Love the bright green color and it tastes good too.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Heehee, I love the idea of your screaming about your smoothie!

Here's mine, give or take:

5 strawberries
    1/4 c blueberries
    1/3 c pineapple
    1/2 a banana
    handful of greens (spinach, chard or kale)
    1 tsp. turmeric
    splash of unsweetened cranberry juice
    6-8 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk

I <3 it.

I wonder if the issue with yours was the oats? I've never tried that, but it sounds like it might produce a funky texture.
  • nowheat4me
    Options
    Definitely leave out the oats or use less. Try toasted buckwheat or chia or flax but don't let it sit more than a minute or it will swell up like crazy with oats or flax.
    Keep trying but keep in mind oats may be better than a smoothie if you feel a need for Fiber in the morning. I need more substance than a smoothie to start my day and avoid cravings by 10 am.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i agree about the oats. i was thinking the same thing. drop em. lol
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    Heehee, I love the idea of your screaming about your smoothie!

Here's mine, give or take:

5 strawberries
    1/4 c blueberries
    1/3 c pineapple
    1/2 a banana
    handful of greens (spinach, chard or kale)
    1 tsp. turmeric
    splash of unsweetened cranberry juice
    6-8 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk

I <3 it.

I wonder if the issue with yours was the oats? I've never tried that, but it sounds like it might produce a funky texture.

I think it was the oats :/ bad ideia
  • Uhhhwut
    Uhhhwut Posts: 23
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is
    1 whole grapefruit red
    1 banana
    2 cups of spinach
    2 cups of water
    :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. Milk, protein powder, frozen fruit.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite one - it's simple, yummy and only has a few ingredients:

1/2 frozen banana - doesn't have to be frozen, I just freeze mine to last longer
    1/2 to 1 cup frozen pineapple - same as frozen principle above - I like to freeze my own fresh fruit
    1 and a half cup Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk
    1/2 scoop Strawberry Protein Powder
    1/2 Tblsp Chai Seeds
    Handful of Kale - just started adding the Kale and love it.
    A few Ice Cubes if needed to thicken it up.

It is sweet and yummy and about 250 cals. Not bad for a midmorning snack for me.
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep giving ideias plz :)
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do a green smoothie in the morning--- handful of kale, handful of spinach, celery stalk, half a cucumber (or one mini cucumber), one cut up apple (to sweeten), sprinkle of ginger & cold water w/ lemon. Sometimes parsley. ~I~ think it's tasty, but it depends on your palette. Maybe substitute an avocado for an apple at first--- it helps the texture & taste A LOT.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have this every night and I can promise you won't be disappointed:

1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup each blackberries and raspberries
    3-4 strawberries
    1 banana
    1 T Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
    Ice

Top with a little light whipped cream.

You could add yogurt, milk or soy milk or sweeten with honey or sugar, too. I've made it those ways in the past and it's still fantastic.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. Milk, protein powder, frozen fruit.

Word up. I don't even go for the milk. I just use ice and water.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    In this case I would suggest never trying to smoothie up chickpeas....bad bad idea :sick:

Easy smoothie though: fruit (bananas are good and give good consistency), milk, touch of yoghurt and protein powder if you use it. Honey or Nutella to sweeten! :flowerforyou:
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    I just use whatever I have on hand at the time. I typically pick from some or all of the following depending on how much effort I feel like putting in:
    - fresh or frozen fruit depending on the time of year
    - some type of juice (apple, cranberry, oj, water in a pinch)
    - peanut butter
    - crushed nature valley bars (the crunchy messy kind that I've yet to figure out how to actually eat - as a replacement to oats)
    - protein powder (after a run typically)
    - greek yogurt
    - honey
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat a "green" smoothie on weenends for my breakfast... Consist of the following:

6 Ice Cubes
    2 cups Spinach - Raw (this is why it is green but you DO NOT TASTE the spinach)
    1 Banana Small (6"-7")
    1 scoop Pure Protein - Whey Protein - Vanilla Cream
    1/2 cup Silk Pure Almond - Unsweetned Vanilla Milk
    1/2 cup water

Mix all in my Ninja and I have a HUGE glass of yummy stuff... tasts like bananas. So if you don't like them this ones not for you. Some have even put peanut butter in it as well.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean... but how exactly did you fail at that?

Apples, bananas, honey?

The only thing I think is that maybe you mistakenly picked up something other than cinnamon and wasn't paying attention. I can't imagine how the ingredients you listed could be horrible when combined.