Smoothie FAILURE

Options

Replies

• dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I find anytime i mix oatmeal in a smoothie i don't like it. And i LOVE oatmeal, just not in a smoothie. It gives it a horrible texture!

Exactly!!! Lesson learned

I found that if you use either cooked oats or some oats that have soaked already a bit it works much better! It makes your smoothie smooth and thick. Or the odd time that I use raw (unsoaked) oats I put those in the blender alone first (to chop it up real small)

BUT like 99% of the time I just skip putting oats period.

My go-to smoothie recipe (if you can call it that) is :
    -banana (frozen or not)
    -blueberries (frozen!)
    -milk
    -cinnamon
    -spinach (if you want)
    BLEND.
    yum :)

edited to add that you could add protein powder of course, I just don't because well.. I don't :P
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The only time I have had a real failure with a smoothie is when I used this awful Body Fortress protein powder that is sickly sweet.

Usually I make this smoothie.

1 cup strawberries frozen
    1 cup Tropical Fruit frozen
    .5 cup blueberries frozen
    1-2 apples fresh
    Banana- fresh or frozen
    1.5 cup unsweetened almond milk (lately I have been using my homemade almond milk)
    2-3 cups kale or spinach
    2-3 servings vanilla or plain protein powder ( I make it with plan soy and soy free protein powder-- sometimes I leave it out and it still tastes good- I like to get up to 20 grams of protein and above per serving)

Oh, and this usually feeds my husband, son and myself.
  • Jessica1173
    Options
    Not to be mean... but how exactly did you fail at that?

Apples, bananas, honey?

The only thing I think is that maybe you mistakenly picked up something other than cinnamon and wasn't paying attention. I can't imagine how the ingredients you listed could be horrible when combined.

I added 30g of oats!
    I'm thinking banana and apple are not very complimentary flavors, either.

Banana and apple are definitely complementary flavors. I use them together in my smoothies. I make almond, oat milk too so I am not seeing why there would be a problem with the oats. I am not sure what gave a bad taste unless it was the blender you used. If it was a cheaper blender it may not have been able to get a good smooth consistency. I use a vitamix I recently bought and it works great making very smooth smoothies.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find anytime i mix oatmeal in a smoothie i don't like it. And i LOVE oatmeal, just not in a smoothie. It gives it a horrible texture!

I agree with this. Love oatmeal, but not in my smoothies
  • Jessica1173
    Options
    I start with a low calorie, low sugar, non-gmo protein powder and 8 oz unsweetened almond milk for my base. I stick with low sugar add-ins like frozen berries, pumpkin, cocoa, etc. and ice.

Smoothies can be just was unhealthy as a a stack of pancakes at your local greasy spoon. Just because you use 100% fruit juice doesn't mean you're not over doing it with the sugar and calories. Those "drinkable" meals can pack over 500 calories a pop if you're not careful.

If you are intersted, you can take a look at my website to see what I use; or, can friend me on FB and ask questions. My husband and I have been trainers and done nutritional counseling for years. If there's one common issue, it's that we (as a country) over-complicate everything and if we would only go back to the basics, we'd all be healthier (physically and financially) for it. <3

trainhardlivewell.myvi.net

FB: Angel Walter Tewell (my picture is my back)

Definitely true about the calories and sugar. That is why I have been sharing mine with my family.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I just throw in some fat free milk, banana, ff yoghurt & sometimes protein powder. Turns out great every time. Or I add a smoothie cube (you can get them from the frozen section)
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have this every day for breakfast.......

Chobani protien shake
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
    1 container chobani (fruit flavored raspberry or blueberry)
    1.5 c vanilla unsweetened almond milk
    4 small ice cubes

Soooooo delicious and about 350 calories
  • aaliyahsmummy
    Options
    My deffo all time fave is
    80g strawberries
    80g grapes
    Red apple
    Lge Orange with membrane
    Diced pineapple
    Sometimes squeezed pomegranate juice
    With lots of ice! I love summer fruits taste!
    That's my 5 a day before I even woke up properly! Hope you find the perfect recipe xx
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    One replacement for oats I haven't seen mentioned here is wheat germ. It still has a texture, but tastes fine. I like smoothies straw-bending thick so I use frozen unsweetened strawberries, blueberries, cherries with a dollop of plain 0%-fat Chobani yogurt (it's smoother than most Greek yogurts) banana and a splash of water. To me, apples are better in vegetable juices.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every weekday morning, and I put oats in it. After a bit of testing, I found you have to put the oats in the blender the night before and grind them up well. Then pour in chocolate milk and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning, I add in frozen strawberries and run it all through the blender again. Amazing!

1/2 cup oats
    1 cup chocolate milk
    4-5 strawberries
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Non-Scientific Recipe...Frozen Fruit, banana, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup Orange juice. Yum!
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. Milk, protein powder, frozen fruit.

Cool...that's exactly what I make every morning for my protein shake/smootie.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I usually freeze bananas in chunks to be the base of my smoothies... then I'll add other fruit - strawberries, mango, raspberries, blackberries, (whatever fruit I feel like putting in there), a scoop of protein powder, and a cup of milk to thin it out just a smidge. I don't add any kind of sweetener, and with all of the frozen fruit, yogurt (greek or otherwise) isn't really needed. However, if I was using fresh fruit, I would probably use yogurt instead of milk.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My go to smoothie

1 frozen banana

1/2 avocado

2 tablesoons cacao

240ml unsweetened almond milk

2 medjool dates or stevia for sweetness

it tastes so good :tongue:

I got it from instagram.com/onehungrymami her smoothies are always on point.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Ditto :)
  • mi18agnes
    Options

I'm even MORE lazy.

1. Start with GNC Protein Drink.

2. Whaddaya lookin herefor? There is no step 2.

hum. good point
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    My go to smoothie

1 frozen banana

1/2 avocado

2 tablesoons cacao

240ml unsweetened almond milk

2 medjool dates or stevia for sweetness

it tastes so good :tongue:

I got it from instagram.com/onehungrymami her smoothies are always on point.

Checking that out, thanks :)
  • ljscholl
    Options
    Here's a good smoothie recipe: Freeze one half banana overnight. In the morning, Take it out of the freezer. Put it into a blender. Add one half cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup non fat milk, one teaspoon vanilla, and one teaspoon sweetner (any kind that you use). Blend all together. If you want to make more you can either double the recipe or just add a few ice cubes in the blender.
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    Here's a good smoothie recipe: Freeze one half banana overnight. In the morning, Take it out of the freezer. Put it into a blender. Add one half cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup non fat milk, one teaspoon vanilla, and one teaspoon sweetner (any kind that you use). Blend all together. If you want to make more you can either double the recipe or just add a few ice cubes in the blender.

Nice recipe!
    I just don't get one thing, why is everyone telling me to freeze the fruit before blending it? Does this help the taste?