Second child

Options
2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My second child was the debil and her sister was a perfect baby (seriously slept through the night at 8 weeks, slept until 10am most days), so it was VERY hard (plus they are only 21 months apart). The oldest didn't seem to notice or be effected by the decrease in attention. Going from 2 to 3 was easy. We were pros at that point (and he wasn't so evil as #2).

But really, I love having multiple children. They play with each other, take care of each other. It's just super fun.

A 2 year gap is hard because the older one is still really a baby (still in diapers, and still in a crib), but they are great friends. I have a sister who is 3 years older than me and a brother is is 2.5 years younger, I was closer to the brother, but my sister was a weird kid. I'm sure a 3 year gap would work too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Going from one child to two will have no negative impact on your first child what-so-ever. That is a worry that you can put aside. It will only be good for your child. "Only" children do not feel more loved by their parents. All children feel more loved when they are loved unconditionally (not something all children or possibly even most children get), and when the parents have their own lives and do not place too much importance, expectations, pressure on the child(ren) to fulfill their lives in any way. Also, I am a twin and it was a huge benefit to my life to have a sibling. I also had an aunt that was just five years older than me. It is a good thing to have a family member that is a peer.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves what they want and can handle in life, and there are many factors that go into that. It's no other person's right to tell you they want you to have more children (even if your own child is saying it). Some people choose that one child is all they want for many many reasons. For me, I am happy to have two children, but I am absolutely not going to have any more (for many reasons)!! No matter what anyone says (even my youngest child asking me to have another one). Bringing a whole other person into the world is a big thing to do and should not be done lightly.

Being pregnant was a bit of a challenge because I have vomiting the whole nine months, and in my last two months of pregnancy I was ambulanced to the hospital with a medical emergency that was traumatic for my older child (but only at the time, she has fully recovered), and had to be hospitalized for a week and then on bed rest and my child had to be careful with me. But, we all recovered and I even gave birth at home and my older child was there at the moment of birth (she was asleep and woke up just in time). She cherishes this memory. In the end, even the challenges turned out to be positive growth experiences. Sometimes challenges are good. And it was also good for me to realize that while it is good to be loving and giving, I do not have to give so much at the expense of even my own health. Good I learned that early on when having my second baby.

Initially it is more challenging to go from one to two (I also have no help, support, family). With one, you are always either with one child alone, together as a family, or the child is asleep or occupied and you have time with your partner. With two, it seems you are always with a child or two. So it`s always you alone with two, you with one, husband with the other, or the two of you with the children, or you are alone and husband is with the two. There is less down time with your partner, alone together. But, it`s not that much more difficult to be caring for two children during the day. It`s actually kind of nice to have a toddler and a baby, those are some of my most happiest memories. The baby sleeps a lot. I spent a lot of quality time reading with my toddler and going out for adventures with my baby in a sling.

And when the kids get older, while sure you are caring for two human beings instead of one, they also occupy each other, play together, etc. It is so wonderfully happy for me to see the close relationship that my daughters have. It is so incredibly wonderful. And it is so good for socialization. I am glad that my children have that. As wonderful as it is to have well attached babies and toddlers, separation from parents is an extremely important step that all children are slowly growing towards and eventually will take.

And once both the kids are in school, you can schedule occasional day off dates to be alone with your husband during the school day. Those don't happen as often as we would like, but we are very happy when we can do that.
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have three children, 14,12 and 10.

When they were born, I was also a SAHM with little help, and I thought going from one to two was a breeze! (2 to 3 was rough)

It is chaotic at times, and yes they fight sometimes, and yes we are outnumbered; but I love that my daughters are close in age, and they will have each other when their dad and I are gone. Their relationship with one another is an amazing thing!

But if you ask my daughters, they would probably say they would rather be only children!
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Its funny, I was just telling an expecting friend that when i was expecting my second daughter, everyone said that 2 is no different than 1. I can now see how that was some evil joke they were playing! lol. I actually think it would be easier if there were some amount of age between them. Mne are 2 years apart and while its nice that they enjoy most of the same things, being so close in age means they FIGHT over everything under the sun. Its flat out exhausting. I would love to have more but knowing what i know now, it would suit my personal situation best if they were about 5 yrs apart.
  • RunThinLift2Tone
    Options
    Okay, and I'm adding this:
    When you have more than one child, you aren't dividing your love in two. :-D

Ok, THIS one for me. Im a dad, not a mom, but we both work, and as it so happens, Im the more domestic of the two of us.
    Were both 41, and our son is 9, our daughter 6 - pretty close to where you might be, just further down the road a bit right?

The quote above is 100% accurate, so no worries there, and IMO, having more than one is EXPONENTIALLY MORE WONDERFUL - gives them someone to play with, someone to take it out on, someone to look after, someone to blame it on, someone to argue with, someone to teach, someone to learn from, someone to talk to, someone to LOVE besides YOU. And you get to watch it all, and do your best to steer them in the right direction...

No doubt its more work, but when theyre your children, is it really work at all???

DONT TRY IT. DO IT!!

Love this!^^ 100% agree
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you're 100% financially and emotionally ready to take on a second little thing-a-majig, then go for it.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Regarding dividing your love in two, love doesn't divide, it multiplies!

The work load gets higher with each subsequent child. Going from one to 2 was the biggest adjustment, compared to 3rd, 4th and 5th child. From 3rd child it gets easier, as they interact more with each other, rather than just mum. You set the 'culture' of your family with the first two, subsequent children mimic the first two, so training is easier.

I found it interesting when I had other children visitors, how those from larger families coped differently from single child families, regarding peer interaction and squabbles. I observed what would be a 'shrug it off and get on with life' incident to a child with siblings, could be an earth shattering event to a single child.

I was a stay at home mum, my husband and I have 5 children, the youngest is now 19. My husband and my view was and is, you breed them, you feed them. We could afford a lot of children, 3 are university educated, the other two are in trade, doing work they love.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It is harder, if that is the question. While some aspects are less stressful because you know more about raising a child, you STILL have to do it all again.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It keeps you busy that's for sure but wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a 4 and half year old and 22 month old both boys
    They are very active but love watching them when they play you can really see how they live each other even after they fight ... Lol

The best thing I gave my oldest was a bother !
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Meant love each other .... Auto correct ... Lol
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Number 2 was easy it is 5 and 6 that are damn near killing me!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I only have one but I've heard going from 1-2 is easy, it's going from 2-3 that's hard.

I've heard the opposite from a few ladies I work with who have 3. They say the transition from 1-2 is the hardest but when you tack on a 3rd its nothing. I guess it depends on the person.

My eldest was 27 months when my youngest was born. She loves her sister to death but there is a lot of jealousy there. They fight like cat & dog (which I guess is to be expected of siblings, I just didn't think it would start so young).

I found it hard because I didn't get any downtime. 1 would go for a nap, the other would be awake, I'd go to feed 1 the other would want to be feed too or need toilet/nappy change. So much harder taking them both in the car or on outings.

A friend of mine has an age gap of 4 years 3 months & she is struggling too. She forgot how hard it was to get up to a baby in the night. So, I don't think there is any perfect gap or a right time or anything to be honest. If you & your husband want to have another baby - do it. Each baby is different. I thought my 2nd child would be so much easier than my 1st. I couldn't be more wrong! She's more of a handful than the 1st :frown:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

This. Love isn't a finite resource. It grows and compounds with each child, to the point where you wonder how you ever lived with only one or two children. My sister has 6, and it's amazing to see how happier and happier her home gets with each successive child, and how much she loves all of them MORE with every addition. I can't wait to be in a position to add to my little family, as well.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the family dynamic. I come from a two child house hold and we were raised by our father. We didnt fight for his attentions because we did everything as a family. I was recently talking to my dad abt starting a family of my own sometime within the next two years and this is what he told me, " It's the hardest thing that your ever going to do, kids are both annoying as hell and cute as can be, and you have to kiss your personal life goodbye, there is no right or wrong answer as a parent and you are never going to love anything more than your family."
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I know a lot of people are talking about fighting, but my kids are both girls and they are 2.5 years apart, but one is in 1st grade and the other is in 4th. They don't fight. They are always hugging and saying they love each other. They are very close. Having a sibling is like having a best friend. They even play with each others friends. My older daughter is very helpful and good with little kids. My younger daughter is very confident and independent and I think a lot of that comes from having an older sister. They really support each other and balance each other. They share very well, are flexible and resilient. I think they practice these qualities by having a sibling to work things out with.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! Thanks for all of the feedback! :)
    It definitely sounds like it's (obviously) harder but not so much that you would ever change your decision if given the chance!! I already knew that I would never regret having a second child..I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be getting too far in over my head (because of not having much help). There were a few responses that really stood out and made me even more excited about the thought of having a second child! :):) Thanks again so much!! I appreciate it! I can't wait to show my husband all of the posts!!
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    Okay, and I'm adding this:

Ok, THIS one for me. Im a dad, not a mom, but we both work, and as it so happens, Im the more domestic of the two of us.
    Were both 41, and our son is 9, our daughter 6 - pretty close to where you might be, just further down the road a bit right?

The quote above is 100% accurate, so no worries there, and IMO, having more than one is EXPONENTIALLY MORE WONDERFUL - gives them someone to play with, someone to take it out on, someone to look after, someone to blame it on, someone to argue with, someone to teach, someone to learn from, someone to talk to, someone to LOVE besides YOU. And you get to watch it all, and do your best to steer them in the right direction...

No doubt its more work, but when theyre your children, is it really work at all???

DONT TRY IT. DO IT!!

Thank you for this! Love it!!!
  • kelly_c_77
    Options

This. Love isn't a finite resource. It grows and compounds with each child, to the point where you wonder how you ever lived with only one or two children.

Love this one too! And many other responses! Again, thank you guys so much!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'd say short term it will be harder but longer term it will be easier as they will play with each other and entertain each other. The only thing I would say is anything up to a 4 year age gap is fine or beyond that about an 8 year age gap but I find from my experience 5-7 year age gaps can be problematic. My brother in law initially didn't want a second child and after sticking to his guns for about 5 years he finally relented. They had only just gotten back to having their sleep back when they were back to square one and my nieces don't ever seem particularly close. The eldest just finds the younger one annoying. They may get closer with age but at the moment they don't love each other whereas my other niece and nephew have a 3 year age gap (my nephew was adopted so was 20 months old when they got him and they just adore each other. They go asleep holding hands and hugging. Just so cute!! So if you do decide to go ahead I'd get going right away!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    We live in a home that has three bedrooms, so each girl can have her own room, but they chose to share a bedroom and use the other bedroom as a play room. They love sharing a room.