dumbest laws you've ever heard of

Options

Replies

• freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    In New Mexico you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sunday...I guess Jesus doesn't approve of alcohol sales until after Sunday services or something. NFL kickoff is at 11AM due to our timezone...god help you if you forgot to get your beer the day before...you pretty much have to wait until half time. This law used to also 'f' up brunch...but they recently changed the law to make it ok to get booze before noon so long as you were at a restaurant...guess Jesus doesn't care so long as you're at a restaurant...and probably some services end at 10 or something and people go for early lunch or brunch after services and need their Bloody Mary or whatever.

This is something I never understood when I lived in Georgia before we were allowed to purchase alcohol in stores on Sunday. Why could we buy it in bars and not stores? And why was noon the magic hour when it was ok to drink? Also, why would everyone stare at me when I wanted to have wine with breakfast, but if I poured orange juice in it, then everyone was cool with it? lol.

alcohol with breakfast is unacceptable unless it has some form juice in it, such as tomato juice (bloody's) and mimosa's....well unless your camping then beer seems to be good all around meal replacement no matter the time.....You should know that......
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    3. Curfew laws....I think parents can handle setting rules for their kids

Unfortunately society has proven otherwise. Maybe if parents were allowed to spank their kids, and the courts would actually punish youth.....
  • freak4iron
    Options
    Any law that binds the use of common sense or logic. They're the "we're going to arrest you because the law says we have to even though you were obviously right considering the circumstances" kind of law.

Fuked by the hard long dik of the law! I personally feel that real people can handle their choices just fine...I think all the laws that make that hard to do are just there to pull in revenue for the state....I actually sat in jail for 5 days for telling a cop he could go fuk himself after harassing me ALL night....got a disorderly and refused to pay got picked up months later on a warrant and just decided to sit it out rather than pay the *kitten* for using my tongue....
  • freak4iron
    Options

Unfortunately society has proven otherwise. Maybe if parents were allowed to spank their kids, and the courts would actually punish youth.....

Courts do punish the youth sometimes way to harsh if you ask me....Couldn't tell you how many friends ended up in juvie just to graduate to county and then to prison.....I know so many that did the same childish *kitten* but never got caught and therefore never placed into an environment filled with other like minded punk kids, and matured out of their ways....
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Don't go whaling in Oklahoma you'll be in big trouble lol Real law still cracks me up.
  • AyeCorona
    AyeCorona Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia and here are a few of my state's gems:

Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.
    in Acworth- All citizens must own a rake.
    In Columbus- Crosses may be burned on someone else’s property, so long as you have their permission.
    In Marietta- Though it is illegal to spit from a car or bus, citizens may spit from a truck.
    In Roswell- Erotic dancing is prohibited on Sundays.
    In Atlanta- Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I went to Pigeon Forge, TN on a vacation a couple of years back. They were 'semi-dry' - stores could sell beer or wine. But not both.

Very confusing wondering around a supermarket looking for a bottle of wine for dinner, and then having someone look down their nose at you as they explain that the only alcohol they sell is beer.

Wine is only for alcoholics and <gasp> Catholics, apparently.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    "It is unlawful in Virginia to hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including any nuisance species, with a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday, which is hereby declared a rest day for all species of wild bird and wild animal life, except raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings."

In Culpeper, Virginia, it is illegal to wash a mule on a sidewalk.

In Prince William County, it is illegal to park your car on the railroad tracks.

In Virginia Beach, it is illegal to use profanity on Atlantic Avenue or the boardwalk (and they do enforce this one. They have signs EVERYWHERE. I've been there many times and they are SERIOUS about this one).

In Waynesboro, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    In Texas we have the blue law.. we can't purchase alcohol on Sundays either, and beer and wine can't be purchased before noon.
    It's illegal to own more than 6 dildoes.. where are the *kitten* police?
    You also can't purchase an anatomically correct *kitten* unless you sign a waiver stating it's being used for educational purposes. (which is why some have a smiley face on them)
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    A woman may not cut her hair without her husband's consent.
    Pedestrians crossing the highway at night must wear taillights.
    A motorist with criminal intentions [must] stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
    It is illegal for men who have mustaches to kiss women
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Dumb laws in Florida

1. You may not kiss your wife's breasts
    2. It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit
    3.Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown
    4. it is illegal for a man to force his wife to dress as a parrot - even if hideously ugly:laugh: :laugh:
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

the others are stupid, i agree. #3, some parents can't handle this, so somebody needs to.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In Kay County, OK, it is illegal to put an ice cream cone in your right back pocket while walking down the street.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I would REALLY like to know the backstory for wacky laws. Here are a few in Virginia:

Norfolk:
    Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated.
    A man may face 60 days in jail for patting a woman’s derriere.

Richmond:
    It is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for a coffee. (What about a sweet tea?)

Stafford County:
    It is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm. (...sets alarm on watch...)

State laws:
    � 18.2-344. Fornication.
    Any person, not being married, who voluntarily shall have
    sexual intercourse with any other person, shall be guilty
    of fornication, punishable as a Class 4 misdemeanor.
    (Code 1950, �� 18.1-188, 18.1-190; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc.
    14, 15.)

Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.

Also, we're the only state in the US that bans radar detectors and will not allow a governor, lt. gov, or attorney general to serve consecutive terms.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    In Georgia, no more than 8 women can live in a house together or it is legally considered a whorehouse. In college, we could have fraternity houses with a bunch of guys, but we could only have sorority lodges with no more than 8 women. It is an old law, but it is still enforced. Wtf?

SO archaic. Discrimination!
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia and here are a few of my state's gems:

Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.
    in Acworth- All citizens must own a rake.
    In Columbus- Crosses may be burned on someone else’s property, so long as you have their permission.
    In Marietta- Though it is illegal to spit from a car or bus, citizens may spit from a truck.
    In Roswell- Erotic dancing is prohibited on Sundays.
    In Atlanta- Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

Sometimes I wonder WHAT MUST HAVE HAPPENED for these laws to exist....
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Technically it's illegal to sing Happy Birthday in public since the song has a copyright on it.

You would be willfully distributing copyrighted material.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    In New Mexico you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sunday...I guess Jesus doesn't approve of alcohol sales until after Sunday services or something. NFL kickoff is at 11AM due to our timezone...god help you if you forgot to get your beer the day before...you pretty much have to wait until half time. This law used to also 'f' up brunch...but they recently changed the law to make it ok to get booze before noon so long as you were at a restaurant...guess Jesus doesn't care so long as you're at a restaurant...and probably some services end at 10 or something and people go for early lunch or brunch after services and need their Bloody Mary or whatever.

This is something I never understood when I lived in Georgia before we were allowed to purchase alcohol in stores on Sunday. Why could we buy it in bars and not stores? And why was noon the magic hour when it was ok to drink? Also, why would everyone stare at me when I wanted to have wine with breakfast, but if I poured orange juice in it, then everyone was cool with it? lol.

alcohol with breakfast is unacceptable unless it has some form juice in it, such as tomato juice (bloody's) and mimosa's....well unless your camping then beer seems to be good all around meal replacement no matter the time.....You should know that......

lol
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump. lol