How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options
I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How? I usually burned this by swimming vigourously for an hour but now that I got swimmers shoulder I need to find an alternative.

Replies

• DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Not sure it's possible to burn that in an hour
  • d3ck5
    d3ck5 Posts: 47
    Options
    the first time i did the pure cardio + cardio abs workout of insanity i burnt 784 in about 56 mins.

there was also a couple of minutes break between dvds and the ab component (about 15 mins) was not high intensity at all

there are hour long workouts to insanity which ive not yet started (another week or so) and I'm quite certain I would burn 1000 cals in that hour.

i reckon theyd be some insanity graduates that would say the same thing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Isn't Nordic Skiing over uneven terrain supposed to have a burn approaching that? Depends on your age, gender, weight, etc. though.....
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    By being large, out of shape, and working very hard.

That'd be my guess anyway.
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Running up and down stairs 1000 cals I always do it when im getting ready for comp
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I find it very hard to crack 10 cal/minute. When I do crack that limit, I can't hold it for an hour. Intervals might be your best bet for "Bang for your buck" but again, if you can do them for an hour, you aren't doing them right.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Being 300+ pounds might help.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have only 13 lbs left to lose. Thus, you should be looking at establishing a deficit in the neighborhood of 300 or so calories below maintenance intake. With that said, why do you need to burn 1000 calories?
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I belive you can do that by running.

If you can run at a proper speed for one hour.
  • Crweb29
    Crweb29 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At 5'9" 280lbs I burn around 530 Cals in 30 minutes with a hilly program on my elliptical. Doubling that to 60 mintues would put me over 1000 cal.
    I don't have a HRM yet to confirm this but the online calories burned calculator's also show that me at 280lbs on an elliptical burns well over 1000 cal.
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do a bungee jump off a high bridge. You will lose 1000 cals just looking over the edge and thinking about it :-) Hodgie x
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    dont need to be 300lbs, i'm only 180 and i can burn 1000 if i make a concerted effort but my Cal/Burn has dropped from around 30 per minute when i was 244lbs to now i average 10 cals a minute doing anything other then Cycling which is still upwards of 20, to get 1000 per hr you'd have to be doing cardio and intensly riding a bike on a challenging track full of hills would put you over or maybe running/orbital on a high resistance..

If you really want to create a deficit of 1000 just don't eat as much and in my case for a while i was going half deficit from exercise the other half from diet still creating the big deficit but not creating too much from exercise alone. You don't really lose weight from exercise anyway if anything Exercise will put on weight with retained water and recomposition of muscle/fat structure, exercise just improves the cardiovascular and muscle structure which in turn improves your bodies ability to manage caloric intake and consumption. Diet creates a deficit in that consumption.

Whatever works for you is you need to do, not what works for me or anyone else here.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How? I usually burned this by swimming vigourously for an hour but now that I got swimmers shoulder I need to find an alternative.

I regularly burn between 700 to 1200 cal per session, but they go longer than one hour.
    My cardio workout includes stat bike (rpm), elliptical trainer, stat rowing, and running. Usually a combination. I'm about to also include swimming.
    Kind regards,
    Ben
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have only 13 lbs left to lose. Thus, you should be looking at establishing a deficit in the neighborhood of 300 or so calories below maintenance intake. With that said, why do you need to burn 1000 calories?

I have way more than 13lbs left to loose roughly around 40lbs, the ticker is set for my small goals. I am just curious because when I ride the bike and the elyptical I burn maybe 400 but I dont feel like that is doing anything for me so I am trying to make it harder. Normally I would swim but cant due to a recent injury and I suck at running so I am adding on a few minutes more to that every day :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Run and run a lot.

I average around 1,000 per hour. And before any self proclaimed expert tries telling me I dont; I hade VO2 max testing done a few months ago. The results of the VO2 max testing confirmed that when my heartrate is working in it's optimum zone I'm burning between 900 and 1,100 calories per hour.

I scored "excellent" on VO2 for my age. If I had 0.1mL/(kg·min) more I would have scored a rating of superior.
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    Sadly at my weight I'm not entirely sure how I could genuinely burn 1,000 calories in a hour.

However I did read into this many years ago and as back then I was a very keen Alpine climber and It was estimated that the burn was around 850cals a hour (and I would eat crap and still lose over half a stone in a week of this kind of climbing) so I was inclined to believe that...It's a bit extreme to go climbing mountains to lose weight ;) (but fun mind...)

I noticed you mentioned cycling - This does not burn as many calories a hour as running does unless your outside and cycling like a bat out of hell!

If that's you in the picture then you look pretty light, which means sadly naturally you'll burn less energy and have to work harder than someone who was say 30lbs more...

If the 1,000 calorie burn is what your after for me at 5'7 and around 134lbs I would have to run 10+ miles or run 6miles + row + cross train/or have a good length circuit training sesh..So it varies from person to person and you should build a plan to suit you and what your body is able to burn without you burning out..
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to get regular 1000 calorie burns when I was over 300lbs - now I am close to 200lbs I push for 600 cals for the hour. I still work as hard, it is just getting harder as I lose weight - but I used to do just cardio and now I do a huge range or activities including running, kettlebells, free weights, hillwalking and just plain walking - I like setting targets but only really use my calorie burn as an indication of effort and performance and tend not to eat them back - (unless I go on a big hike with lots of hills and 15 mile walk in between - in which case I eat whatever I want haha)

I could possibly get higher burns doing pure cardio hiit or tabata but I like the variety much better than just going for a massive 1,000 calorie burn now.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I would find it impossible for me. Flat out, I can maybe burn 600 cals an hour.

Why do you think you need to be burning such high amounts?
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Im 240lb and 5ft 3" and i can do that in the gym, normally 15mins fast on epli and then interval running on treadmill 20 mins, some weights and then finish off with a power cycle...

but like everyone has said, being heavier helps but it can be done any size!

thanks
    Amy from UK
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What do you use to work out your calories burnt?