PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "I've literally never read a peer reviewed scientific journal article."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "I've literally never read a peer reviewed scientific journal article."

I'm reading "you're all mean for questioning my unfounded beliefs".
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    PROS:

It can work well and quickly for weight loss
    No need for the hassle of calorie counting
    Can help regularise cravings
    Can help with digestive discomfort

CONS:

Restrictive food choice
    Lack of cake
    Can be expensive
    Can be hard to implement into day to day life
    Did I mention lack of cake?

Without cake the world, just seems darker! :noway:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about you all but if I get stranded on an island some time you can bet I'm going to follow the birds to those legumes so I can soak them for several hours or overnight to TRY to get rid of as much of those lectins (plant toxins) as I possibly can then boil them for hours, then rinse them and boil them some more in the hopes I can make them edible and they won't rip up my intestines with gas too bad! Oh wait, nope, I think I'll just go for some eggs or meat or vegetables instead! :happy: :laugh:

Let me know how it goes trying to make some almond flour muffins too.

LOL. Don't forget the brownies either. Cocoa powder is so very easy to process. At least if you are on an island you can probably make some coconut flour. Doubt it will be very quick though.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    well the calories you expend hunting and gathering your food from the countryside will mean you probably won't have any problem with obesity.

the whole concept of not being able to eat without catching/finding your food first is a great way to beat obesity
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Paleo. Because eating like a caveman is healthy... Cavemen only lived to be 25.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

some of them lived into their 40s and 50s. a high infant mortality rate brings down the average age of death.

anyway, here's my rundown of the paleo diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1123546-the-pros-and-cons-of-the-paleo-diet
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Cavemen had high mortality rates due to a number of factors that had nothing to do with diet or lifestyle and everything to do with a lack of medical advancement. High infant mortality rates, the fact that if you got injured at all the chances were good you'd die of infection/being too slow to outrun a predator/inability to gather food or get to shelter, etc. There've been suggestions that they were in fact some of the healthiest human beings and that they weren't suffering from a lot of the maladies later societies commonly did.

Human life expectancy has increased not because of changes in diet but because of advances in medicine, sanitation, etc.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Cavemen had high mortality rates due to a number of factors that had nothing to do with diet or lifestyle and everything to do with a lack of medical advancement. High infant mortality rates, the fact that if you got injured at all the chances were good you'd die of infection/being too slow to outrun a predator/inability to gather food or get to shelter, etc. There've been suggestions that they were in fact some of the healthiest human beings and that they weren't suffering from a lot of the maladies later societies commonly did.

Human life expectancy has increased not because of changes in diet but because of advances in medicine, sanitation, etc.

Which could explain the disease rates going up independent of diet... we are just plain living longer. To quote (I may be paraphrasing) Brad Pitt from Fight Club, "On a long enough time line, the life expectancy is zero".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The bolded section is the part that I think is incorrect. I do not believe you'll find anyone in the field of nutrition that will say legumes are unhealthy (outside personal allergy or intollerance).

I doubt you'd find anyone to say that whole grains are not heatlhy, though you could probably find some that think gluten needs a closer look.

I've personally read multiple studies on the downsides of legumes AND grains, whole or not (actually, especially whole in some cases), and ones that had nothing to do with personal allergies or intolerances.

Again, off topic. While I do not believe there are many (if any) studies showing legumes to be unhealthy, I think we already agreed that there is always back and forth in research. You can cherry pick a study or two on ANY topic to fit an argument.

What I am saying is that I do not believe you will find a nutrition scientist (aka one that studies ALL the research) who would say that legumes are unhealthy.

A food containing a toxin =/= that food being unhealthy. MANY healthy foods contain toxins. That's why we have organs to remove those toxins. We humans are remarkable machines. We can eat food, use the good and expel the bad.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What I am saying is that I do not believe you will find a nutrition scientist (aka one that studies ALL the research) who would say that legumes are unhealthy.

Agreed but looking at the preponderance of the evidence seems to be a novel concept.

Take this for example:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/11/4/281.abstract

Literally took me 5 seconds to find. I could, if I was so minded, spin a convincing argument that legumes should not be consumed based upon it. Would it be ethically right to do so however? No.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is why personally, I like the Whole30 idea better than Paleo. Maybe legumes are bad for you, maybe they're healthy. Rather than making it my new full time job to read studies and see what the latest word is on every type of food out there, I can stop eating foods that might bother me for 30 days and then reintroduce them one at a time and see if I feel better or worse.

Studies are great for the big picture and the average person but I want to know what's best for my individual body. And for me this is a really effective way to determine how different foods affect me personally.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    This is why personally, I like the Whole30 idea better than Paleo. Maybe legumes are bad for you, maybe they're healthy. Rather than making it my new full time job to read studies and see what the latest word is on every type of food out there, I can stop eating foods that might bother me for 30 days and then reintroduce them one at a time and see if I feel better or worse.

Studies are great for the big picture and the average person but I want to know what's best for my individual body. And for me this is a really effective way to determine how different foods affect me personally.

I agree with this for those that have some type of symptoms. But, if one has no problems, then there is no need to eliminate foods.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Agreed but looking at the preponderance of the evidence seems to be a novel concept.

Take this for example:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/11/4/281.abstract

Literally took me 5 seconds to find. I could, if I was so minded, spin a convincing argument that legumes should not be consumed based upon it. Would it be ethically right to do so however? No.

I can't see how it would even be logically right to do so. It says most or all of the toxins can be eliminated by cooking, so we don't even need organs to get rid of them.
  • amyconnernelson
    amyconnernelson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started reading about Paleo after a family member did the 30 day challenge. Last night I looked at the ingredients on my "reduced-calorie bread" and my land of lakes "light butter" and almost fell to the floor. Today, I begrudgingly ate my Emerald cinnamon roast almonds that I thought were healthy prior to reading the ingredients of modified food starch, soy lecithin, and two other ingredients I cannot even pronounce. It's super scary what all is being put into our foods that we believe are "healthy" because they are reduced fat/calorie.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I started reading about Paleo after a family member did the 30 day challenge. Last night I looked at the ingredients on my "reduced-calorie bread" and my land of lakes "light butter" and almost fell to the floor. Today, I begrudgingly ate my Emerald cinnamon roast almonds that I thought were healthy prior to reading the ingredients of modified food starch, soy lecithin, and two other ingredients I cannot even pronounce. It's super scary what all is being put into our foods that we believe are "healthy" because they are reduced fat/calorie.

Go on, why are food starches/hydrocolloids, soy lecithin etc "scary"?
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I agree with this for those that have some type of symptoms. But, if one has no problems, then there is no need to eliminate foods.

These are just short-term eliminations to help people determine which foods cause problems for them. The theory is that we've been eating these potentially problematic foods for essentially our whole lives, so we've come to assume the reactions we get from them are just normal (anecdotes vary as to what these symptoms are). The idea is to eliminate them for a short time, long enough to get them out of your system, and then slowly reintroduce them one at a time and see how you react? No problems? Then you know you personally don't react badly to that food. There've been tons of anecdotal evidence showing people's surprise improvement after eliminating foods they never knew they had issues with.

And a lot of ancestral lifestyle plans have similar elimination diets or advocate self-experimentation like this to determine how you personally react so that you can tailor your lifestyle to your own needs. This is especially true with the fringe foods like dairy, rice, etc. that there is less of a definitive stance on.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

These are just short-term eliminations to help people determine which foods cause problems for them. The theory is that we've been eating these potentially problematic foods for essentially our whole lives, so we've come to assume the reactions we get from them are just normal (anecdotes vary as to what these symptoms are). The idea is to eliminate them for a short time, long enough to get them out of your system, and then slowly reintroduce them one at a time and see how you react? No problems? Then you know you personally don't react badly to that food. There've been tons of anecdotal evidence showing people's surprise improvement after eliminating foods they never knew they had issues with.

And a lot of ancestral lifestyle plans have similar elimination diets or advocate self-experimentation like this to determine how you personally react so that you can tailor your lifestyle to your own needs. This is especially true with the fringe foods like dairy, rice, etc. that there is less of a definitive stance on.

And what is your opinion on the nocebo effect?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There've been suggestions that they were in fact some of the healthiest human beings and that they weren't suffering from a lot of the maladies later societies commonly did.

Well, that myth is fading, too, as it turns out these marvellously healthy specimens had "modern" diseases like degenerative arthrirtis. And those are in people who were lucky to get past 30, god only knows what bad shape they'd be in if they found a way to stagger to 60.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In for round 2.