PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a very healthy way of eating. I'm not sure why the people who want to eat McDonald's and Taco Bell all day keep arguing in this thread. Maybe it's to make themselves feel better, who knows, just eat the way that makes you feel good, and ignore the others.
    As evidenced by "it's dumb" for paleo. And yet, they think they are super supportive of others. And that "clean" eaters are the primary folks into shaming others. Go figure.

Paleo is dumb because it prohibits (shames) certain foods.

There is nothing wrong with any of the foods the paleo diet recommends. The problem is the foods it prohibits.

You and Barbellgirl are shaming certain foods. I'm putting down a diet that prohibits certain foods.

Food shaming is bad.

So any way of eating, or nutritional recommendation that says certain foods are less healthy than others and should be chosen less often is bad? You've just now prohibited pretty much every body of nutritional science as well as every way of eating - good job!

Any diet that says any food is inherently bad without solid scientific evidence is itself bad, yes... especially if it tries to attach a silly name and bogus "philosophy" to it.

Paleo falls into those categories.
    Shame on jonny, preach it! Do you actively preach about the benefits (health) of the foods you eat and the choices you make or is it all about taste?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Actually read my post again. I'm not shaming any food, I'm shaming the people (you might be one of them) that are constantly trying to make people feel bad for their choices. You have your way of eating and if someone wants to follow a paleo eating lifestyle what's it to you?

"Shaming" a diet and shaming those that choose the diet are two very different things. The OP asked for opinions on the diet. Giving an unfavorable opinion of the diet and stating the reasons is not shaming those that choose to eat that way.

Just like saying I believe most of the food at McD is unhealthy and tastes like a poor substitution for food is not shaming those that eat at McD.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "IIFYM" is a silly acronym.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I don't feel threatened. I don't care if anyone follows a paleo eating style, either.

I care about intellectual honesty and misinformation.
    You care quite a bit. Zealots often do. The recently converted are often zealots.

I care quite a bit about intellectual honesty and misinformation, yes. The former is good and the latter is bad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I don't feel threatened. I don't care if anyone follows a paleo eating style, either.

You care quite a bit. Zealots often do. The recently converted are often zealots.

I care quite a bit about intellectual honesty and misinformation, yes. The former is good and the latter is bad.
    You care about being right about eating what you want.
    When it comes right down to it. Again, you're a zealot. A new one at that.

Do you spend time explaining why your heavily packaged convenience foods are good fuel for you body? I'd like to see more of those posts. Rather than just nom nom nom. How are they GOOD for you? How your MickyDs is fueling you.
    How are they fueling your needs (not just IFFYM which is rather reductionist as we know).
    Or is it just calories in calories out and those predetermined macros that may turn out to be the holy grail of weight loss or just another fad diet.
    You don't seem to talk much about how you actually fuel your body. You just tell others how their approach is dumb.

personally who the flip cares where paleo came from. Their followers are eating a reasonably nutritious diet, and losing some weight. Glad it works for them.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I already stated above that processed foods has a certain meaning in the common vernacular that does not include any kind of food preparation. If you prefer to argue based on other meanings instead of actually discussing the merits or drawbacks of Paleo then I'm not going to bother indulging you.

I wonder if you asked someone on the street whether soaking a food in preservatives for weeks should be considered "processing" what they would say.

And by the way, the "drawbacks" of Paleo are that it prohibits a whole bunch of delicious, perfectly healthy foods for no reason whatsoever other than "durr caveman wouldn't have eaten that."

Paleo approved bacon wouldn't be cured, preserved, smoked, etc. in anything but Paleo-approved ingredients, so yes, I'd say that most people would say that Paleo approved bacon ISN'T processed.

I've stated MANY times that "durr caveman wouldn't have eaten that" is NOT the reason behind our food choices; again, you're getting bogged down in the caveman thing rather than looking at the science we base our choices on. I doubt you could find a single person who follows Paleo who says that the only reason they do it is because cavemen did; most would point to the fact that there IS some science to show these foods could be unhealthy. You CAN'T say they're perfectly healthy foods because there's science that shows they're bad, some that shows it could be bad, and yes, some that shows they're fine. That doesn't make them fine - that makes them undecided. We chose not to eat them; you choose (presumably) to eat them. That doesn't make your lifestyle any better than mine because you decide if it's not proven bad then it's healthy. What about the reverse - if it's not proven healthy then it's bad? Both are wrong in my opinion, but that's exactly the kind of logic you're arguing here.

There is SOME science that shows that red meat - even lean, grass fed beef - is unhealthy. Causes cancer and heart attacks.

Therefore, by your own logic, you should not eat red meat. Right?

Oh wait - there is also a lot of science that says red meat is OK. So should I cherry pick the ones that say it's bad, or take the consensus and assume it's OK?
  • jonnythan
    Options

To expand:

You want to do paleo? That's fine. Eat whatever you want. But don't pretend it resembles anything Paleolithic. And don't pretend there's any science to beans and grains being automatically bad.

Eat whatever you want, but don't lie to other people.

Again: eat whatever makes you happy and fits your nutrition goals.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Paleo approved bacon wouldn't be cured, preserved, smoked, etc. in anything but Paleo-approved ingredients, so yes, I'd say that most people would say that Paleo approved bacon ISN'T processed.

You're literally wrong. This statement is factualy wrong, logically wrong, pragmatically wrong, and vernacularly (is that a word?) wrong.

Bacon is pork belly that has been soaked for an extended period of time in a preservative solution. There is no definition of the word processing for which this is not processing.

And I guarantee you that Paleolithic people didn't soak their pork belly in preservatives and then smoke it.
    I've stated MANY times that "durr caveman wouldn't have eaten that" is NOT the reason behind our food choices; again, you're getting bogged down in the caveman thing rather than looking at the science we base our choices on. I doubt you could find a single person who follows Paleo who says that the only reason they do it is because cavemen did; most would point to the fact that there IS some science to show these foods could be unhealthy. You CAN'T say they're perfectly healthy foods because there's science that shows they're bad, some that shows it could be bad, and yes, some that shows they're fine. That doesn't make them fine - that makes them undecided. We chose not to eat them; you choose (presumably) to eat them. That doesn't make your lifestyle any better than mine because you decide if it's not proven bad then it's healthy. What about the reverse - if it's not proven healthy then it's bad? Both are wrong in my opinion, but that's exactly the kind of logic you're arguing here.

The appeal to science is specious. This didn't start with someone excluding a bunch of foods from their diet because science said they're bad, followed by that person noticing "hey this stuff we're left with is how Paleolithic people ate!" It was the other way: it was someone deciding that a "Paleolithic" diet is good, forming a list of good and bad foods, and then trying to find science to support it. Problem is that it's not even how Paleolithic people ate.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/05/20/the-path-to-culinary-bliss-home-cured-bacon/

Oh look, a way of making bacon that doesn't include ANYTHING that isn't Paleo approved! Gosh, you must feel silly now for thinking it didn't exist? Especially since it's just one of MANY.

And unless you yourself were the originator of the entire idea of Paleo, then you can't say that's how it started.

Maybe it DIDN'T start by looking at the science first, but maybe by noticing a correlation between foods that made someone/group of someone's feel sick or unhealthy and the fact that none of these foods were eaten in the pre-agricultural era and then researching WHY those foods made them feel sick. Either way, what does it really matter? The end result is still a lifestyle of choices backed up by science and that are completely harm free to most people (there have been a very few I've heard who've not done well on the plan, and while I personally feel they just needed some tweaks within the lifestyle, I'm not an expert so maybe it genuinely didn't work for them).

Most of the arguments I've heard for "that's not even how Paleolithic people ate" has something to do with the wide variety of differing diets based on geography. But as a whole, Paleo doesn't really have any foods that weren't available somewhere to some kind of caveman (excepting of course the differences that exist between current day plant and animal life and Paleo era plant and animal life). Do we eat foods that weren't available then? Sure; we still occasionally have foods that aren't Paleo, but in general I'd say that every base ingredient we use was available somewhere in some form in the Paleolithic era.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

To expand:

You want to do paleo? That's fine. Eat whatever you want. But don't pretend it resembles anything Paleolithic. And don't pretend there's any science to beans and grains being automatically bad.

Eat whatever you want, but don't lie to other people.

Again: eat whatever makes you happy and fits your nutrition goals.
    And you'll continue to call it dumb, derpy silly.... I get it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    There is SOME science that shows that red meat - even lean, grass fed beef - is unhealthy. Causes cancer and heart attacks.

I have never seen such science. There is some science that suggests a correlation between red meat and negative health outcomes.

You know what the difference is, right?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's a very healthy way of eating. I'm not sure why the people who want to eat McDonald's and Taco Bell all day keep arguing in this thread. Maybe it's to make themselves feel better, who knows, just eat the way that makes you feel good, and ignore the others.

What about us whole grain and legume eaters? I've made it to a healthy 52 yo by eating these things daily. Never had hypertension, high cholesterol, insulin resistance, bloating, hormone problems, or any other chronic medical problem. When you stick to a Paleo Diet for 30 years or so and can say that, then come back and argue how much healthier your diet is than mine. Come tell me how these beans and peanuts are killing me.

I did a vegan diet for the better part of the last 20 years. Tons of whole grains and legumes. It didn't end up being the healthiest thing for me.

"Tons of food" is rarely healthy for anyone. I'm kidding, of course. But a certain diet not being the healthiest for you, does make the foods you ate as part of that diet unhealthy for anyone else.

I am curiousas to why one would choose to follow a diet for 20 years if it was causing health problems, though.
  • Traineight
    Traineight Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Stef.

I have been by way of eating Paleo for almost a month now. It has worked out well for me. However, I was a fairly healthy eater to begin with. I'm not 100% strict Paleo. I hate to call it a "diet" when it's really a way of life, like vegetarianism etc.

The concerns I had before I started was making sure I was getting the proper nutrients. I was worried this was going to be super-strict and just plain "undoable." It couldn't be further from the truth when done properly. I did a TON of research and spoke with fitness folks and those with a ton of nutrition knowledge.

I found this to be so much easier than I ever thought it was going to be. I was never a big meat eater in the first place so I eat meat once-in-a-while and when I do I try to get either the best cuts I can or grass fed beef. Good meat doesn't need a lot of seasoning but I often use sauteed mushrooms (done in coconut oil), onions and garlic as toppers. No bun. I found they just get in the way and are too filling! I want to enjoy the burger! I eat a lot of fish, veggies, and fruits.

I don't drink much alcohol but when I do, if I do, I'll try to have wine and organic if possible. But limited. Beer is not on the list, wine is a big compromise. "The list" is what you put on it...there are many "guidelines" that can help you though if you need them.

Generally Paleo is no dairy, no grains (flour etc...you can sub almond and/or coconut flour) or refined sugar.

I love coffee but have always drank decaf coffee (which is ok but also "bending the rules" a little bit with almond milk) and it's probably a few times a week.

I really wanted to try Paleo to see if it worked with my body and the way it works/processes food. Digestion issues are prevalent in my family so this is something I was willing to try so as to curb issues. It has helped. Not 100% but good is good. So I'll take it. A bonus is I've lost weight without really trying. Not quickly....but still losing. yay!

I do still crave things like pizza and sugar but I've found ways around it (dark choc hershey kiss once in a while, no biggie.)

I continue to use MFP to help me keep track of nutrients and to stay on track.

I highly recommend it if it works for your body. Not your lifestyle. Yes...it's a bit more expensive initially but a ton less expensive than doctor visits.

Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    Options

You're literally wrong. This statement is factualy wrong, logically wrong, pragmatically wrong, and vernacularly (is that a word?) wrong.

Bacon is pork belly that has been soaked for an extended period of time in a preservative solution. There is no definition of the word processing for which this is not processing.

And I guarantee you that Paleolithic people didn't soak their pork belly in preservatives and then smoke it.

The appeal to science is specious. This didn't start with someone excluding a bunch of foods from their diet because science said they're bad, followed by that person noticing "hey this stuff we're left with is how Paleolithic people ate!" It was the other way: it was someone deciding that a "Paleolithic" diet is good, forming a list of good and bad foods, and then trying to find science to support it. Problem is that it's not even how Paleolithic people ate.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/05/20/the-path-to-culinary-bliss-home-cured-bacon/

Oh look, a way of making bacon that doesn't include ANYTHING that isn't Paleo approved! Gosh, you must feel silly now for thinking it didn't exist? Especially since it's just one of MANY.

I never said that you can't make bacon with only Paleo-approved ingredients.

I said you can't make bacon without processing.

I read the page and chuckled. I wonder where the cavemen bought their Ziploc bags and plugged in their refrigerators. I wonder where they stored their bacon for 7 days while it soaked up the preservatives.

Obviously no one in the Paleolithic era ever ate bacon, because making bacon requires processing methods that did not exist back then.
    But as a whole, Paleo doesn't really have any foods that weren't available somewhere to some kind of caveman (excepting of course the differences that exist between current day plant and animal life and Paleo era plant and animal life). Do we eat foods that weren't available then? Sure; we still occasionally have foods that aren't Paleo, but in general I'd say that every base ingredient we use was available somewhere in some form in the Paleolithic era.

Paleo people didn't eat bacon. Or baked goods of any kind.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi Stef.

I have been by way of eating Paleo for almost a month now. It has worked out well for me. However, I was a fairly healthy eater to begin with. I'm not 100% strict Paleo. I hate to call it a "diet" when it's really a way of life, like vegetarianism etc.

The concerns I had before I started was making sure I was getting the proper nutrients. I was worried this was going to be super-strict and just plain "undoable." It couldn't be further from the truth when done properly. I did a TON of research and spoke with fitness folks and those with a ton of nutrition knowledge.

I found this to be so much easier than I ever thought it was going to be. I was never a big meat eater in the first place so I eat meat once-in-a-while and when I do I try to get either the best cuts I can or grass fed beef. Good meat doesn't need a lot of seasoning but I often use sauteed mushrooms (done in coconut oil), onions and garlic as toppers. No bun. I found they just get in the way and are too filling! I want to enjoy the burger! I eat a lot of fish, veggies, and fruits.

I don't drink much alcohol but when I do, if I do, I'll try to have wine and organic if possible. But limited. Beer is not on the list, wine is a big compromise. "The list" is what you put on it...there are many "guidelines" that can help you though if you need them.

Generally Paleo is no dairy, no grains (flour etc...you can sub almond and/or coconut flour) or refined sugar.

I love coffee but have always drank decaf coffee (which is ok but also "bending the rules" a little bit with almond milk) and it's probably a few times a week.

I really wanted to try Paleo to see if it worked with my body and the way it works/processes food. Digestion issues are prevalent in my family so this is something I was willing to try so as to curb issues. It has helped. Not 100% but good is good. So I'll take it. A bonus is I've lost weight without really trying. Not quickly....but still losing. yay!

I do still crave things like pizza and sugar but I've found ways around it (dark choc hershey kiss once in a while, no biggie.)

I continue to use MFP to help me keep track of nutrients and to stay on track.

I highly recommend it if it works for your body. Not your lifestyle. Yes...it's a bit more expensive initially but a ton less expensive than doctor visits.

Good luck!
    Thanks for answer her questions. Sorry OP that I did not. You were, in fact, asking for some actual information. cheers
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I have never seen such science. There is some science that suggests a correlation between red meat and negative health outcomes.

You know what the difference is, right?

I was reflecting the language of the person I was quoting. Yours is more precise.

And yes, correlation is not causation.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Paleo people didn't eat bacon. Or baked goods of any kind.

Nor did they eat any of the vegetables we eat today. They wouldn't recognize them since they've been bred through selection by evil farmers.
    The whole premise of paleo is silly. Not necessarily the diet for some, just the premise and religion.
  • sue12252000
    sue12252000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go to any bookstore and look for the diet/nutrition section. There are literally thousands of different diet books written by so-called "experts" (Suzanne Somers :laugh: ) touting the latest and greatest weight loss phenomenon. All claim to be healthy. Many claim quick, long-term weight loss. Logic: If even ONE of these "diets" truly and REASONABLY worked on a sustainable level, then the diet/nutrition section would hold maybe 10 books instead of thousands. I'm not saying that none of these work. Most do: for the short term. I've tried many of them. 10 lbs here, 40 lbs there. But like many have said on here - any plan that severely restricts or eliminates certain food groups will set you up for failure. Every pound I lost on any one of these diets was eventually gained back.

Carbohydrates are not the enemy. The amount and type that we choose - that is the enemy. I am totally for eating as 'clean' as possible. I don't like to eat processed foods as a rule but sometimes it's simply convenient. Whole grains such as oats, barley, quinoa, brown rice, wheatberries can be bought plain in bulk. So can dried legumes such as lentils and all types of beans. They are GOOD FOR YOU, filled with nutrients and fiber. Whole grain breads are OK...as is whole grain or quinoa pastas. The key is to measure and weigh. It's a pain in the *kitten* but with anything like that, it's all about portion control.

There is no magic bullet. No magic pill (stay AWAY from those things. They don't work and can really cause health damage). Unfortunately the old fashioned way of counting calories and EXERCISE is the only way to get the weight off and keep it off. I've lost 18 lbs so far. Slowly...about 1 lb. a week. I'd love to lost 5 per week but I know from past experience that weight lost that quickly is weight that will be regained.

Exchange out the 'white' foods for whole grain alternatives. White sugar needs to go as well. There are many recipes out there for healthy desserts for those who have a sweet tooth. And it's OK to eat them......in moderation. As a planned treat. Try to avoid fast food. Even the salads are calorie traps but they are better than the burger and fries. Subway is pretty good and offers nutritional information.

Use portion control. In the beginning weigh and measure. Like I said, it's a pain in the *kitten* but when I started doing it I realized just how off my portions were. Too much healthy food can put weight on as well. If I splurge and eat tortilla chips, if it says 13 chips, I ONLY eat 13 chips.

Change up your cardio - bike, walking, crossfit, kickboxing - variety is the key. strength training is also a must. And for me, I've added yoga. Great for flexibility, balance and toning.

Look at this: I just wrote a diet book. Maybe I can publish it and add it to the masses at Barnes & Noble. The $$ it makes would look great in my bank account. :bigsmile: Seriously, good luck everyone. I wish you all success and good health. :heart:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Go to any bookstore and look for the diet/nutrition section. There are literally thousands of different diet books written by so-called "experts" (Suzanne Somers :laugh: ) touting the latest and greatest weight loss phenomenon. All claim to be healthy. Many claim quick, long-term weight loss. Logic: If even ONE of these "diets" truly and REASONABLY worked on a sustainable level, then the diet/nutrition section would hold maybe 10 books instead of thousands. I'm not saying that none of these work. Most do: for the short term. I've tried many of them. 10 lbs here, 40 lbs there. But like many have said on here - any plan that severely restricts or eliminates certain food groups will set you up for failure. Every pound I lost on any one of these diets was eventually gained back.

Carbohydrates are not the enemy. The amount and type that we choose - that is the enemy. I am totally for eating as 'clean' as possible. I don't like to eat processed foods as a rule but sometimes it's simply convenient. Whole grains such as oats, barley, quinoa, brown rice, wheatberries can be bought plain in bulk. So can dried legumes such as lentils and all types of beans. They are GOOD FOR YOU, filled with nutrients and fiber. Whole grain breads are OK...as is whole grain or quinoa pastas. The key is to measure and weigh. It's a pain in the *kitten* but with anything like that, it's all about portion control.

There is no magic bullet. No magic pill (stay AWAY from those things. They don't work and can really cause health damage). Unfortunately the old fashioned way of counting calories and EXERCISE is the only way to get the weight off and keep it off. I've lost 18 lbs so far. Slowly...about 1 lb. a week. I'd love to lost 5 per week but I know from past experience that weight lost that quickly is weight that will be regained.

Exchange out the 'white' foods for whole grain alternatives. White sugar needs to go as well. There are many recipes out there for healthy desserts for those who have a sweet tooth. And it's OK to eat them......in moderation. As a planned treat. Try to avoid fast food. Even the salads are calorie traps but they are better than the burger and fries. Subway is pretty good and offers nutritional information.

Use portion control. In the beginning weigh and measure. Like I said, it's a pain in the *kitten* but when I started doing it I realized just how off my portions were. Too much healthy food can put weight on as well. If I splurge and eat tortilla chips, if it says 13 chips, I ONLY eat 13 chips.

Change up your cardio - bike, walking, crossfit, kickboxing - variety is the key. strength training is also a must. And for me, I've added yoga. Great for flexibility, balance and toning.

Look at this: I just wrote a diet book. Maybe I can publish it and add it to the masses at Barnes & Noble. The $$ it makes would look great in my bank account. :bigsmile: Seriously, good luck everyone. I wish you all success and good health. :heart:

Many/most of those diets work. They work because they help the dieter to control calories.

The vast variety of effective diets out there proves one thing: you can fit pretty much any food into the context of a healthy diet. Restricting yourself to just one is silly, especially if it's for a reason as dumb as "cavemen ate this way [when they really didn't]".
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Many/most of those diets work. They work because they help the dieter to control calories.

That and the dieter has faith in the diet, so they follow it as prescribed, and thus they see results.

But it comes down mostly to moderation.......learn to moderate, and stop stuffing your pie hole.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options

What about us whole grain and legume eaters? I've made it to a healthy 52 yo by eating these things daily. Never had hypertension, high cholesterol, insulin resistance, bloating, hormone problems, or any other chronic medical problem. When you stick to a Paleo Diet for 30 years or so and can say that, then come back and argue how much healthier your diet is than mine. Come tell me how these beans and peanuts are killing me.

I did a vegan diet for the better part of the last 20 years. Tons of whole grains and legumes. It didn't end up being the healthiest thing for me.

"Tons of food" is rarely healthy for anyone. I'm kidding, of course. But a certain diet not being the healthiest for you, does make the foods you ate as part of that diet unhealthy for anyone else.

I am curiousas to why one would choose to follow a diet for 20 years if it was causing health problems, though.

I didn't eat tons of food - just that my diet was comprised primarily of grains (admittedly refined pastas and breads) and legumes. I never said that any of those foods are unhealthy. I have only pointed out the "pros and cons" as I see them and from my perspective. I still feel that a vegan diet can be extremely healthy if done right. I question whether I did it right and question my reliance on soy products and wheat It was actually 15 years (some of which was not vegan - pregnancies primarily). I followed it b/c I felt it was better aligned with my morals and because I felt it was the right way to eat. Autoimmune stuff also takes a long time to manifest, so I am guessing in retrospect that it could have been the cause. I also have a high stress life, which could also be the cause. I am only trying to eat this way not for weight loss (although I do find it easier to stay in my calorie range this way and would like to lose the vanity pounds) but to see if it helps on the health front. I don't find it a religion or anything. I am also not 100% and don't drink buttered coffee or cook with lard. I am focused primarily on eliminating gluten and increase good fats (things I neglected for years on a low-fat vegan diet).

If I could reverse time, I'd have tried to adopt a balanced, whole foods approach years ago. I think that is where it's at, but I am still going to try to give gluten free a good shot for 6 months.