what did you give up to help lose weight

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    milkshakes (I still eat ice cream but not shakes, they are calorie beasts!)

Starbucks lattes/mochas (I still get something like that once a month or so, but used to get them 3X per week just as a snack)

most fast food in general

the fantastic quesadillas I used to make at home which involved 6 tortillas PER PERSON. I make something similar now with 1-2 tortillas though, and other toned-down ingredients

Also, I've TOTALLY changed my use of condiments. I used to just squirt a bunch of ketchup, Dijon mustard, mayo, and/or dressing on whatever I ate without much thought to the amount. I find that when I use condiments very sparingly, the effect/taste is the same or better. Some condiments I've basically stopped eating (sour cream for one) and don't really miss it at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    45-60 min of the time I spend hanging out with my husband.
  • chrisistewstew24
    Options
    I gave up quite a lot,to be honest..

- Everything you can buy at a bakery (I used to LOVE Cake!)
    - Ice Cream
    - Chocolate
    - Christmas Sweats (No matter if cookies or christmasy cake)
    - Starbucks (At least my vanilla macchiato and such stuff)
  • Quantumn
    Quantumn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    All sweets, all dairy (except ff cottage cheese), pasta, bread, going to restaurants, and anything fried.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    The thing that I need to give up is late night/early morning snacking. I do good for about 3 days, but then I cave. I've really put more of an effort into changing that bad habit lately. It's a work in progress, but I can definitely tell the difference when I haven't binged.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    - Almost all foods with processed sugar
    - Milkshakes
    - Excessive eating out
    - Atkins bars

These were the biggies for me. Plus like someone else said, I am more mindful now about what I eat. I compare labels, I think how what I eat fits into my macros, and I am much much much more active. I used to be a lazy *kitten* couch potato. New me is doing some kind of cardio activity every day!
  • melinda189
    Options
    so far it's only been juice. Every once in awhile i'll have a gold peak green tea, or V8 fusion but all the minute cherry limeade & kool aid i used to drink is over.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Excuses.
    Laziness.
    Huge portion sizes.

I also generally only drink water, coffee, and occasionally milk.

I did pick up something, discipline. Life is all about moderation unless you know you can't control yourself :smile:
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Daily Subway cookies and most dressings. )':
  • cuddlekits
    Options
    Dairy and gluten, mostly. Although they were both accidentally, doctor and I thought I had an intolerance to them, so I stopped eating them as often. I lost a lot of weight just by only eating bread maybe twice a weak.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Quantity mostly. I still eat everything but I pick and choose when a little more carefully. No more endless quantities of pizza and wings on Fridays. If I do have it I account for it or save up calories for it.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I gave up not weighing everything ... and not planning meals before going out to eat.
  • jnowak21
    jnowak21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - I know I don't just drink one! So, I may allow myself a night every once in a while, but it's few and far between now! Obviously got more active and I've given up a lot of my TV shows that I used to watch! :) No time!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Nothing food wise...I cut back on a lot of "junk" food in favor of more nutrient dense foods...but i haven't given up anything entirely nor would I. Learning moderation and portion control is extremely important to a successful maintenance.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    All I gave up was being lazy, I eat more on a diet than I did before I started but I exercise daily!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Grains and sugar... I know no bounds when it comes to eating pizza, pastries, cakes, pies, candy, etc...
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Diet food. Seriously.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Dairy and gluten, mostly. Although they were both accidentally, doctor and I thought I had an intolerance to them, so I stopped eating them as often. I lost a lot of weight just by only eating bread maybe twice a weak.

that's all you eat?? :wink:
    I should try THAT, too!
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I gave up the excuses, caffeine, sweets, alcohol, large portions, constant eatting. Of all of it, I don't miss any :smile:
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I know some people have said they don't miss what they gave up but I miss the grease. Doesn't matter what the food is just somehting fried sounds so good to me right now, but I will stay strong.