Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• angelbabyskies
    Options
    I love how everyone that has been struggling to lose weight gives me their advice. Obviously its not working or "do as I say, not as I do. " I don't mean it to be rude its just like leave me alone about my weight loss. :P
  • oldnovice
    oldnovice Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't make the assumption that people are being rude or inconsiderate when they ask about my weight loss. I like to think they are just being curious. I don't mind if they ask if I've been sick or if I'm losing "on purpose" because at one time I did lose 40 pounds in a month due to surgery and complications afterwards. I am glad to set their minds at ease, thank them for noticing and tell them about MyFitnessPal. If they say something like "you've lost enough" or "you're getting too skinny" I just smile, correct them, thank them for noticing and tell them about MyFitnessPal. Several of my wife's and my friends have become inspired by our success and have started to lose weight themselves. I call that a win.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I always assume their best intention with my coworkers telling me "you're getting so skinny!"

The one that bugs me is my daughters- they'll talk about last year or a few months ago and tell me I was SO much heavier back then... uhm, I wasn't though... lol

Try not to get offended, take it as people noticing the difference that your hard work and perseverance has earned :flowerforyou:
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I generally hate it when people talk about my weight. This seems to be the only thing my family talks about when I come home to visit - no "how are you feeling" but only "have you lost weight?" or "have you put on weight?", amongst comments on my complexion (I'm always too pale for them...) and my looks in general (usually positive though, except for "you look so ill" when I'm very pale in winter).

Don't you feel that it's rude to constantly comment on other people's appearance, even if it's meant well? I'm okay with "nice dress" or "great haircut", but anything beyond that feels like it's invading my very personal space. Ugh.

Rant over.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    YESS!! Thank you! I've had several people I see only a few times a year tell me basically they don't think I have that much more to lose after I tell them I have about 100 left or so to go. I think I carry my weight well, however, it is still a lot of weight and I have much more work to do. =)
    It really bugs me when I am at work or with friends and I get comments like "You're wasting away!" and "You don't need to lose anymore weight, you look good". I know they are trying to be supportive, but it really irritates me. I am only half way to my goal, I am still considered obese, and telling me to stop is the opposite of being helpful.

*rantover*

Anyone else get stupid comments from people trying to "help"?
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Seriously?! That's why I'm glad I've been documenting my progress through photos and I talk about it all often and they see me going to the gym and I tell them how hard it is! I show them my sweat haha ;)
    I hate 'Looks like your surgery went well.'
    Now I have nothing against the bypass surgeries...my mother had one. My mother also went through some intense pain for the surgery, and then again for her tummy tuck. I hope she is happy now...but seeing what those surgeries did...cuttin people in half and stretching their skin...I decided no surgery for me.

No one believes it's diet and movement, no one.
    Which makes me kinda sad.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Amen!!
    "I don't want you to have an eating disorder."

Thanks, me too, but saying no thank you to numerous cupcake offers isn't disordered eating- it's healthy eating!:bigsmile:

It is amazing how turning down a cupcake is tragic to those enjoying the cupcakes.. Seriously, I think eating whatever you are offered is the worse disorder I ever had. Glad I am past that.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Haha, right?! I think giving people the benefit of the doubt is important, yeah, some people may make insensitive comments about a sensitive subject but, oh well! So far I haven't had any negative comments, all good ones except for people not believing I have A LOT left to go!
    Everyone has been super complimentary. So much so, I've been getting embarrassed. It seems silly to get irritated over people's comments and compliments. I mean c'mon I've lost 65 pounds, I look way different. Sometimes it shocks people, if they've not seen me in a long time. Plus I dress a whole lot better now too. Leave the house without my hair and make up done? No way!

Give people a break, you will live longer.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I had a strange thing said to me the other day. I met up with a friend who hadn't seem for awhile. She first said, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight." I was about to say thank you when she added, "Did you do it on purpose?"

No. I'm eating healthier and exercising purely by accident. :grumble:
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had a strange thing said to me the other day. I met up with a friend who hadn't seem for awhile. She first said, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight." I was about to say thank you when she added, "Did you do it on purpose?"

I actually said this to a friend I hadn't seen in some time. When you've had so many people around you have heart attacks, cancer, or other health issues, that can be the first thing that comes to mind. I was glad to hear that, yes, it was diet and exercise.
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One of my Aunts told me if I lost more weight my face would look more sunken and people don't like to look at that. Meanwhile I was standing next to her skeleton of a daughter and asked my aunt if she gives the same advice to her own kids and walked away. I live my life for my husband, kids and now for myself and I could care less what others think which is a totally different me than 1 year ago and 50lbs.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    My favorite is "are you sick?" I've also got the you're wasting away. You're going to disappear if you lose anymore. People don't see the things I see like the thighs and hips that won't budge! I'm almost there but the closer I get the more remarks that get made.
  • ravengal
    Options
    Conversely, many people get upset when no one has noticed that they have lost weight. Damned if you comment and damned if you don't...
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fortunate that I haven't received any snark remarks. Mainly because my co-workers and friends are mosty in the healthy weight range already. I joined MFP just wanting to get rid of some vanity weight. Not much difference in terms of appreance to make any comments. However, I'm still pretty glad for the lack of attention.
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My neighbor told me I looked 20 years younger!
  • ladypam83
    Options
    I've heard so many crazy comments from people about weight loss I've had over the years . You just gotta take it with a grain of salt. Most people who never had a weight issue dont realize what's coming out of their mouths. Keep it up your doing great.
  • carlosapolinarioferreira
    Options
    What poeple say or could say about the way you look is total BS. Let me give you an example when I started I was 154.2 Kg and I recently went with my wife and get our anual phisical and she by the way wheighs 52 Kg. Anyway my doctor complains about my wheight problem, but my wife also gets a comment like our husban should give some Kg too you.

I think my wife looks great at 52 Kg, unfortunitly for here when she gains wheight is goes all to here waste line. I bet you will look awsome and you will feel it too when you will acomplish your goal. The reason I wanted to post this is even people like my wife get these type of comments not only from strangers but also from here Mom. So I understand were your comming from.
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    A co-worker once said to me... "If you could just gain weight in your face"
    Hahahaha.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I love my grandmother, with all of my heart, but she always has picked on my weight.

I think my favorite comment from her though was ,

" Wow mandy You look really good! Now You Only have one chin, You used to have three!!"

FML lmao
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I got that just this week! I've gone from 386 to 234 and still have about 75 left to go. I know the person who said she couldn't imagine how I had "that much left, you're so thin now" is a good friend and I know she wasn't being snarky, so I took it as a compliment. There are others who I know are just being brats. Them I ignore. Point is, it's my journey to being a healthy weight, not theirs. So go ahead and tell me your opinion of when I should be done or why I'm going about it the wrong way, I don't care. I'm doing what's best for me, so rant if you want.

PS - I did have weight loss surgery, the gastric sleeve. And I am very open about it, so if someone asks what I've done, if I had surgery, whatever, I will tell them. There is nothing wrong with what I've done, it was the best choice for me. It's not what's best for everyone so I don't preach it, but if you ask I will talk.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!