How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options

Replies

• XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @ around 135 pounds, I can only get 651 Cals on an Ellipical for 65min. In that 65 min, I maintained my heart rate between 162-170s for around 30mins.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Doing all of the above while wearing a weighted vest would up the cals a bit maybe?
    (If you don't injure yourself in the process.)

IV200comp.jpg

Dude looks like he'll be ok if someone starts taking shots at him on his morning run.....

Seriously though, why would you want to burn a specific amount of calories in a specific amount of time? Was this ever addressed by the OP?

I would suggest that the "swimmers shoulder" was the result of trying to achieve such unrealistic burns in the first place. Time to change that mentality before it leads to a second chronic injury?
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's possible to burn that in an hour

It is. Your weight and the activity/how hard you work out play a large role in this.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Doing all of the above while wearing a weighted vest would up the cals a bit maybe?
    (If you don't injure yourself in the process.)

IV200comp.jpg

Dude looks like he'll be ok if someone starts taking shots at him on his morning run.....

Seriously though, why would you want to burn a specific amount of calories in a specific amount of time? Was this ever addressed by the OP?

I would suggest that the "swimmers shoulder" was the result of trying to achieve such unrealistic burns in the first place. Time to change that mentality before it leads to a second chronic injury?

We used to have to do that in the military I dont miss those runs at all and now that I am out I prefer to only run if I am being chased otherwise I will stick with other forms of cardio. However I love to swim and I started to increase the amount of days I would swim and I would gradually try to increase my intensity so I would not plateau, unfortunately my body had other plans in mind and yes thats why I got the injury. I have since been using the elyptical and the bike and I burn around 400-600 cals an hour but I feel like I am not doing anything. Im not tense the next day and my body doesnt feel like I am inproving therefore I am trying to make my workouts harder so I feel like I am accomplishing something. 1000 calories was just a target to reach for since I already burn 400-600 no reason in particular
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How? I usually burned this by swimming vigourously for an hour but now that I got swimmers shoulder I need to find an alternative.
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but you're not burning 1000 cals/hr swimming at your weight.

I weigh 190 and was swimming for an 1hr with my garmin (hrm) I burned anywhere from 800-1000cals in a swim depending on how lazy I was that day
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

It is. Your weight and the activity/how hard you work out play a large role in this.

That's pretty much the only things that play a role in it.

The higher your weight the higher the calorie expenditure, the higher the intensity of the exercise the higher the calorie expenditure.

The issue if you are not particularly heavy is whether you could sustain such a high level of intensity over an hour to get to 1,000 calories. Probably not.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Excellent point.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Not self confirmed but have seen insane numbers burned from hot yoga. But if you try it drink tons of water.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Isn't Nordic Skiing over uneven terrain supposed to have a burn approaching that? Depends on your age, gender, weight, etc. though.....

well the nordictrak used to say it burned 1100 cals an hour - I burned more than that doing it (when I still had that machine which I miss and if sold in Belgium I would definitely own) but I am obese so that makes a difference I imagine anything using a stair mill or arc trainer on high resistance would get close?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I have since been using the elyptical and the bike and I burn around 400-600 cals an hour but I feel like I am not doing anything. Im not tense the next day and my body doesnt feel like I am inproving therefore I am trying to make my workouts harder so I feel like I am accomplishing something.

This is because you're not actually challenging your muscles. Any aerobic activity you can sustain for 60 solid minutes is not pushing your musculature; it's training your heart and lungs. If you want to "feel it the next day" and feel like your body is improving, start lifting and lay off all the cardio.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Running, cycling with intensity.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Not self confirmed but have seen insane numbers burned from hot yoga. But if you try it drink tons of water.

Hot yoga is just yoga with extra sweating, your heart rate isn't really going up that much. Sweating is also not the best indication of how hard a workout is.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    The AMT or Adaptive Motion Trainer....highest resistance, highest incline. I do it twice a week!! Of course I had to work up to that but I love it because it does give you the burn running does with lower impact. :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor usually has me at 1100-1400 calories per hour of Zumba.
    That must be some super high intensity Zumba

It's the new CrossFit Zumba. You so all the moves while jumping up and down on plyo boxes w/ a 20 lb kettle bell in each hand, but you don't have to pay any attention to the music.
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Many of my hikes burn over 1000 calories an hour, that is moving on a 2.5-3 mph rate with minimum 1000 feet elevation gain. But easily burn 2-3k calories on a big day hike
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

At 183 lbs I burnt 885 calories in 55 mins during a 5k race
  • Dadeebool
    Options
    Many MMA fighters can get about 1000 cal/hour. You just hit a heavy bag using combos and any other variation. You will also need to lightly bounce on your toes like in a real boxing match. If you do a 3 minute workout 1 minute rest for an hour, you will burn 1000/hour.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

At 183 lbs I burnt 885 calories in 55 mins during a 5k race

Wow I only burn about 280 running a 5k. I've read a rough estimate is 100 cal per mile.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... that depends on your weight, height, gender. For some it might be impossible, or at least highly improbable. For someone who is significantly overweight and doing something intense, they might even be able to burn more in that time. Based on what I burn when I run (about 16 cal a minute) I would burn close to that amount if I could sustain that level of intensity for that amount of time, but I can't.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I burn almost 900/hr net from running.