highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    tea has been around long before hipsters lol

EDA: maybe even before coffee

Yup, tea came first you dirty hipster lol
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I can't drink plain green tea either, it's just so disgusting, but I bought green tea chai and that tastes okay. It's with cinnamon and clove. Next to that I do like liquorice tea.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    green tea with honey is the best
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like tea...but not all tea. There are so many brands and flavors to choose from. If you're determined to drink it, test a few until you find one that you like.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hipster? Uhm no. For me, tea is a cultural thing. I grew up on tea instead of coffee and I love the stuff
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Chug chug chug. I don't drink it for pleasure so I just down it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like the green tea from Costco :) That seems to be the only one I can drink.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of plain green tea, Lipton makes a range of flavoured ones. I will drink green tea of any kind, but I find my friends who don't normally enjoy it have taken to the Lipton ones. The raspberry pomegranate is my favourite.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This isn't green tea but! Vanilla Chai Tea by Bigelow is amazing and affordable. Royal Milk Tea is also insane, but I'd imagine the calories are way up there.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There is a tea company called Stash that make some of the best teas (I'm not a tea person either) I've ever had. We order our tea bags online and while they are a touch more expensive it's worth it. I love the Meyer Lemon and Blueberry Superfruit flavors. I steep my tea, add it two teaspoons of stevia in the raw, and I usually enjoy cold tea rather than hot.

Agreed, Stash is amazing! I love the Moroccan Mint, it is always the first thing I grab when I get to work and starts the day off right!
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican and my mom always made Manzanilla. I dont know what it is, its like a tea with herbs or something. It's so good especially in the winters!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are steeping correctly - green tea has a shorter steep time and if it is steeped too long it can become bitter. You can also find flavored green teas, or mix with other types of tea. Add a little honey (careful) and a smidge of almond milk if you like - it becomes like a latte. Also, if you have a teavana in your area,check it out. They let you sample all kinds of teas and help you select something according to your tastes.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican and my mom always made Manzanilla. I dont know what it is, its like a tea with herbs or something. It's so good especially in the winters!

Manzanilla is chamomile tea. Great for right before bed. :flowerforyou:
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I adore tea lol. I drink 6-8 cups a day (Earl Grey- plain or with a bit of milk and sugar, mint tea, chamomile, and sometimes green tea). Usually I drink my tea plain because I've developed a taste for it that way, but if you don't like it, don't drink it. It's not a necessity to health. Also, I don't drink any coffee- never have, but I do try to drink black or green teas in the morning and mint or chamomile at night because I have sleep issues.

My family is from Boston and we drink black teas with milk and sugar usually.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love Bigelow Plantation Mint tea. Have it with my breakfast every morning! A little half & half (prefer cream, but trying to be good) & NO sugar. It's delicious!

Other good flavored teas, Bigelow makes a herbal raspberry tea, which makes delicious iced tea. I should note that I never boil my iced tea. Just add hot tap water to a pitcher with 4-6 teabags/gallon and then leave on the countertop at room temp for 8 hours or so. The tea made in that fashion is crystal clear & doesn't have any of the acidic bitterness of a brewed iced tea.

Also around Christmas time, Celestial Seasonings puts out their holiday flavors. The Nutcracker Sweet is delicious! It has a vanilla hazelnut flavor. The Candy Cane Lane is a herbal one with a very light peppermint flavor with a hint of citrus. Both are terrific. You can order the Celestial Seasoning holiday teas year round on their website.

You mentioned your upbringing & coffee. My grandmother also got us started on tea. I'm from the U.S., but my grandmother immigrated from England. We had morning "tea time" with her several times/week. I can still remember my baby brother getting a few splashes of tea in his bottle. As you got older, the amount of tea got bigger & the milk/cream addition got smaller. We LOVED tea time with grandma; it remains a special memory to this day & I miss her terrible now that she's gone!

By the way, I find Lipton & Tetley teas to be very bitter & don't care for them at all. Also not a big fan of Tazo for the same reason. The Bigelow brand is a much lighter flavor & not nearly so bitter. Take from that what you will, I've been drinking tea for over 50 years! The good stuff is worth paying for, although Bigelow isn't really that expensive.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I drink regular orange pekoe in the morning with milk and sweetner but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tazo "Passion". It's a berry and citrus tea that is amazing with a bit of sugar :)
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Tea is far from 'hipster'

I love tea - iced only, unsweetened, must be fresh brewed lol.

If you love coffee though and need a treat: 1 premium chocolate protein drink from Costco (160 cal), 12oz cold coffee = iced mocha that fits into most diet plans. It helps get 'things' moving and tides over your appetite. I drink this about twice a week, sometimes with a tbs of sugar free peppermint syrup for wicked starbucks cravings lol.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You may be a martian as tea is the nectar of the Gods
  • 86muffintop
    86muffintop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It seems like tea has made it's way into the modern, hipster world. Tea is everywhere I look.
    Wow, really? Where I come from, tea is ubiquitous and has been for centuries. :ohwell:

That said, don't force yourself to drink stuff you don't like. Tea (including green tea) doesn't have magical qualities.

Same here. I grew up with tea- green, black, herbal... and I don't like any sweeteners in it, but very rarely (like when I am sick) I will add juice to it.

I agree, don't force yourself to drink it if you don't love it... Nothing too special about tea if you don't appreciate the flavor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I KNOW that this is going to get weird looks. It seems like tea has made it's way into the modern, hipster world. Tea is everywhere I look.

I'm Hispanic, and so I was raised on coffee every morning and night since I was 2 years old. My grandmother drinks different kinds of teas.

I find tea to be so-- Gross.

I want to start drinking Green Tea to help with my diet and insulin assistance. Is there anything one can do to make tea taste... better?

If I HAVE to, I may just have to drink it and suck up how bad it tastes. -....-

Help?

Try a really fruity green tea.....I agree plain green tea is an acquired taste.

Lipton Superfruits ....Red Gogi, Raspberry tea, or the Acai, Dragonfruit & Melon teas are fruity.

Do not heat the water to boiling .....too hot water will result in a more bitter flavor.