"Stop losing weight!" Uggggh.

Options
1235»

Replies

• BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's weird because almost everyone who tells me to stop losing weight is either overweight or obese. Anyone else notice this?

YES! I can totally relate to the OP. I get this all sorts of comments, it's getting very old when several individuals say it EVERY TIME they see me.

"You are getting too skinny"
    "Stop losing weight"
    "Skinny minnie"
    the list goes on.. I'm a size 10/12.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this! I'm 5' 3 and 158 pounds. I wear an 8 or 10 and still have a large stomach and thighs. I still have 28 pounds to lose but everyone is always shocked. I've come this far already, and won't stop until I'm happy. Not going to bust my butt losing all this weight to still not like how I look.

P.S. saw you are from Buffalo. I'm from Rochester. :)
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I know this seems to be opposite advice from the rest of the thread...but they don't control you, so maybe just say, "thank you for being concerned about me" and then just keep doing what you feel is right. Why make drama and when its not needed? Chances are, their hearts are in the right place. It's not like they are going to sit on you and shove cookies in your mouth.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am the smallest person in my family. Even though I am at my goal weight now, they talk to me as if i am still losing weight and I'm not. I think if you want too loose a few more pounds and it isn't going to make you too skinny, then ignore them and take care of you. Good luck!!
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My ex sister-in-law told me mom that I needed to quit eating around her because it hurt her feelings when she was eating cheesburgers and fries and I was ordering salads.
    When you start concerning yourself with what other people choose to eat when what they choose to eat has no bearing or effect on you, you have a problem. A big problem.
  • m4nd4bear
    Options
    This is me to the T. I'm so sorry you don't have a good support system but don't let that bring you back to your bad habits like it did for me. This is not the first time I've looked this good since being a little overweight and having my family there telling me I need to eat more and stop losing weight is really hard. I'm 5'4, tiniest legs you've ever seen and a lot of fat storage around my upper body. It's sort of a Hispanic trait. I've been trying so hard to even out my body but as soon as I am noticeably different my family complains and looks at me weird, gives me negative feedback constantly, teases me, talks about it in front of my other family members, and it's so embarrassing. I've lost about 20 lbs and I'm so happy for myself. However, my goal weight is 125, I'm 135 now so I'm far from there and it's getting harder and harder to get this last back roll and belly pudge. My family is already on my case about how I am now and I'm worried I won't be able to be at the normal and healthy weight I've always dreamed of. Don't let it stop you!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Overweight has somehow become equated with being "healthy" these days. I blame the fat acceptance movement.
    I agree with you. This world is starting to become too unhealthy. Things that we wouldn't want our PETS to eat, we are putting into ours mouths. Well said!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My MIL recently had this exact same talk with me, she told me that I'm too obsessed with my body and doesn't understand why I'm still eating clean, working out and counting calories. I explained I'd never quit doing that, it's a lifestyle change, she said "I thought you were at your goal weight?" I said "I am at my first ultimate goal weight but wouldn't mind seeing 115 or even 110 on my scale (I'm 5'1.5 and at 117 lbs now.)" She says "Well you're going over board, working out like you do and obsessing over what you eat, that's not healthy, you're going to be a sack of bones." I told her that working out isn't going to make me a sack of bones and eating healthy isn't going to make me a sack of bones, but I refuse to go back to 250 lbs. I kindly asked her to butt out and if I was to really get unhealthy, my husband (Her son) would say something but he see's me naked and knows I still have fat on my bones.
  • Renegade706
    Options
    Its your body , and no one lives in it but you, so as long as you feel good and are healthy go after your own goals. In life i have learned that anytime you try and do something positive to step up, there will always be voices that try to bring you back down. Even well intentioned voices, ignore the outside voices and just keep going after your goals :)
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Update to the topic since it was bumped up. Its been 5 months and things are better. I'm at 149 lbs now and have stopped getting the comments. I think they realize that this is me now. My lifestyle. And there isn't much that they can say. They still make a comment here or there but i just ignore it now :)
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For reference, I'm 5'5 & 158 lbs!! I wear a size 8! Far from "overdoing" it!! I know a big part is that they've always known me as morbidly obese, they've never seen me like this. My sister is freaking 5'6 & 135 lbs so I don't get it?!

I don't know your family, but to me, it sounds like they like having you be the 'heavy' one so they can feel better about themselves. If you end up thinner than them, then it hurts their ego. I have friends like this - they like the 'fat' me because I make them feel skinny

Bingo. It's code for "you better not wear a smaller size than me" in my family. Of course, no matter how much I weigh my father will call me FatAss so they don't get a vote in how I run my life.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My ex sister-in-law told me mom that I needed to quit eating around her because it hurt her feelings when she was eating cheesburgers and fries and I was ordering salads.

No wthat's some funny stuff right there ! Poor thing she was so jealous that she felt bad that you were changing your life ! Some people are so selfish .
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Same here it makes it harder to lose weight since I don't have the extra energy to explain why weighing less has been great for me. My family likes me fat. I've always been the fat one who eats everything all the time. When they see me bony it just isn't right to them ha ha. I've had to put my foot down and get mad a few times in a good way.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me around 177-190 pounds to not take it too far, because once you go too far you can't come back. I literally wanted to say WTF?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I disagree with everyone telling you that they are jealous, they're your family and they are worried about you. However you need to m ake sure that they understand that this isn't going to go to far. Show them the fact that you are getting yourself to healthy body weight for your height and age, because you really can't argue with facts without sounding silly. Explain to them that you LIKE what you see when you look in the mirror and maybe even go as far as to show them what somenoe who is unhealthy ACTUALLY looks like? They are just seeing you as how you have always been and they are worried. You're never going to get your parents to stop worrying, it's who they are and what they do, but you need to educate them and explain to them that whether they like it or not you are doing this and you are doing it in a healthy way, that you arent' taking it too far

This right here. They're your mom and sis, not some co-workers or school chums.

If they're that concerned, go to a doctor and have them go with you. Perhaps hearing it from a doc will alleviate their concerns.
  • forthemoney
    forthemoney Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's one more perspective that may or may not apply to you. To my mom, food was a way of showing she loved you -- so if her kids were overweight, that showed everyone she loved them. If your mom is like her (even if you don't live with her and she's not the one feeding you anymore), when you start losing weight that could be the same to her as saying "I reject your love." I know what you're doing has nothing whatsoever to do with how much you love your mother or she loves you -- but if this is how she thinks, maybe this is part of where she's coming from.