The holidays are going to be hard

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, once I made the commitment (on Christmas Eve of all days), it is no longer hard . In fact, it would be harder to indulge because my family and co workers and fellow church musicians make it harder to indulge because they expect me not to.

I like it this way.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I took to baking my own treats this year, since I knew I would want a ton of sweet treats with my hot tea when fall and winter rolled around. Made some pistachio dream cupcakes that were 89 cals each, and pumpkin bread last night, which came out to be 163 cals per slice for 12 slices a loaf and was really moist and divine ;3. Should have been around 140 cals instead, but I only had vanilla greek yogurt on hand instead if plain nonfat XP.

I probably will make some strawberry cake mix cookies tonight ;D.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Move to Australia where Christmas is in the middle of summer and we eat cold cuts, salad and seafood? lol

May be a bit extreme though :laugh:

I'm just going to eat everything in moderation. But perhaps a bit more plain salad on my plate. Christmas is with the IL's this year, which means no alcohol, so water or a small amount of soft drink is all I'll be having to drink.

We are basically going to be spending all day in the pool and grazing on salads, cold ham, turkey & chicken all day. Desserts are usually pavlova, fruit salad and a little ice cream. There will, however, be much cheese, crackers and dip. But also carrot & celery sticks, so it all evens out :smile:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    How many can say they used to overindulge this time of year? I'm not saying all of it is going to be moderation and weight consciousness, but for the most part I would like to be at my ideal weight sooner rather than later. Any tips or tricks on how to crack the whip on yourself?

Motivation clothes (jeans) in the next smaller size work for me. I put them out where I can see them at home and occasionally try them on.

Eat before you go to social events so you aren't hungry. Then eat a small amount on a small plate and eat it as slowly as possible.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I did really well last year and plan to again.

Number one thing I learned: eggnog has an impossible amount of calories. Tiny glasses with no whipped cream (or at least watch them carefully). You can blow a whole day's worth of calories on eggnog without trying and without alcohol.

Number two: more protein, less cheese, dips, and carbs. Eat veggies and fruit - lots of buffet tables have them.

I also learned that you can soak up those extra calories if you make sure you do a little extra exercise.

I eat everything that is important to me in small quantities.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Give your leftovers to homeless people, seniors in nursing homes, etc. It will make someone's day, and you won't be tempted to eat them. It's a win-win! This is what I do during the holidays and whenever I want something that is difficult to make in small portions such as casseroles and lasagnas.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    it is hard but you can do this. I celebrate other holidays but it's also a lot of food, visiting people, not working...

I made sure to do some exercise every day, to do fun things that involved a lot walking, and continue to stay focused on the goal.

leftovers get packaged and frozen. if you are invited somewhere, offer to bring a salad or side that you know is healthy and tasty and isn't full of cream/sugar/butter etc
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Last holiday season I was in the middle of losing weight I still lost a couple pounds through it all. This year I'm in maintenance and I will enjoy some of the food, will skip some of it, and will stop eating when satisfied. I'm very in tune with my body's cues now, and I'm not stressing at all about the upcoming holidays :drinker:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I plan on enjoying all the foodz at Christmas keeping my goals in the back of my mind. Realistically I don't think I'll do more than 1lb of actual damage and I'm fairly certain by now I know how to deal with 1 or 2 measley lbs lol
  • Diane4life
    Diane4life Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Holidays are a challenge. But relax, scan the choices. Think green salad and veggies first - that would include things like steamed asparagus, mushrooms, whatever is not coated with sauces or cheese; maybe a bit of mashed potato, better yet yams or sweet potatoes assuming they are baked and not loaded with butter, sauces, or coated with marshmallows.. Load your plate with these, then take a portion of protein be it turkey, ham, whatever - 4 ounces max (the size of a deck of cards - no more. You can add some bread if you wish, a small slice or roll. Butter, if you simply can't resist, go for it. One pat, no more. Ah, and then there's dessert. You can safely add a piece of fruit pie like pumpkin, apple, or apricot - no whipped toppings. Be sure you take a super slim slice - doing this you might even indulge in two really slim slices. Oh, I forgot stuffing. My personal stay away from food. Yes its yummy but usually loaded with butter, gravy etc. Forego the stuffing and you'll feel like a winner or simply take a tablespoon full - no more. You get the flavor and can enjoy its texture and memory as it slips down your throat and not feel guilty.

So enjoy your holiday, remember ladies limit yourself to one drink; gents two. And hopefully we'll all see the other side of these holidays without gaining the typical 5 - 10 lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's two days and I plan to enjoy them. Also portion control. I lost a good chunk of my weight last year between October and the new year, all the while enjoying Thanksgiving and Christmas. Granted, I'm not much of a cookie/fudge/sweets guy and I've never seen the holiday season as a reason to just eat like ****...I definitely have my fair share of Turkey and Ham and all of the fixin's on the day itself, but I don't go nuts for 2 or 3 months on junk food.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Step one: Change you mindset. The holidays are not going to be hard. You're going to have fun plotting out how to enjoy some indulgences and still continue losing weight.

Step two: Devise your plans for each week. Big party on Saturday? Cut back some calories each day during the week before, add a little more exercise each day. Determine how many calories you have "saved" for your party.

Step three: Keep track (in your mind) of what your eating during the party. Have a taste of yummy things, not a full serving; keep a mental tally on your calories from alcohol, if you indulge, and try to stay within the limit you've set for yourself.

If this sounds impossible or doable-but-hard, believe me it's not. It's exactly how I lost weight every single week from Thanksgiving through New Years last holiday season.

Best wishes!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    We usually do Thanksgiving and Christmas at my aunt's or my sister's house, as they're the biggest (our family is huge!). I bring a side dish and at least one dessert, so I know exactly what's in at least a few things. I fill up on veggies before the main meal, limit the higher calorie offerings to just a small spoonful, and keep my heiney out of the kitchen or dining room once I'm done eating, so I won't be tempted to graze.

This year I'm going to eat a couple of hours before we leave for the party, so I won't be starved when we arrive. I also plan on doing extra exercise that week, so if I do go over a bit, it won't have such an impact.
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    decide what you're going to have before you go...log it into mfp and see what you'll be allowed..you want pie? add it in and see if its worth it to you.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Oh, I forgot stuffing. My personal stay away from food. Yes its yummy but usually loaded with butter, gravy etc. Forego the stuffing and you'll feel like a winner or simply take a tablespoon full - no more. You get the flavor and can enjoy its texture and memory as it slips down your throat and not feel guilty.

So enjoy your holiday, remember ladies limit yourself to one drink; gents two. And hopefully we'll all see the other side of these holidays without gaining the typical 5 - 10 lbs.

Are you serious? 5-10lbs would equal 17500-35000 extra calories. If you even remotely have your goals in the back of your mind you can eat stuffing till you're full and drink till you're drunk and not even come close to these figures.

OP, enjoy your few days of holiday eating keeping an eye for sensible portions but think about the logics and how the numbers stack up. You have to eat 17500 calories in excess to gain 5lbs lol. That's a whoooooole lotta extra.
  • highervibes
    Options
    It's two days and I plan to enjoy them. Also portion control. I lost a good chunk of my weight last year between October and the new year, all the while enjoying Thanksgiving and Christmas. Granted, I'm not much of a cookie/fudge/sweets guy and I've never seen the holiday season as a reason to just eat like ****...I definitely have my fair share of Turkey and Ham and all of the fixin's on the day itself, but I don't go nuts for 2 or 3 months on junk food.

/thread.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    The holidays are 3-4 days not months! Eat what you want ON the holidays not the days in between.

Could not have said it better. Remember the holidays are about family/friends and those we love, not the food we eat.

It is not about counting calories, beating ourselves up.

Eat what you want ON the holidays, and go back to regular program the days afterwards.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    After a holiday, I eat at a deficit over the following week, to make up for eating too much.
  • topazpearlegirl
    Options
    Moderation is key but if you overindulge, try not to be so hard on yourself. Do better the next day.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm purposefully doing a "cut" until Thanksgiving. At that point I'll do a small bulk until NYE. I'm not going to consciously bulk, but I know I will, even if it's only a few pounds. I'll continue to watch my calories on most days and continue to exercise. But if I cut 4-5 lbs in the next month, I shouldn't have to worry so much about any small gains over the holidays.

Honestly, I've never struggled that much. Even when I maintained a weight 10 lbs heavier than I am now (the last 10 years or so), I never really gained much weight over the holidays--maybe a pound or two. The trick for me is to just be aware. It isn't a free-for-all, but there's no reason to avoid a few days worth of overindulging. You just can't do it everyday.