How do you avoid a pink world if you have a little girl?

Options

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I will dress my future female children in whatever colors I want. If it has a dump truck or airplane on it, so be it.
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great fan of pink either, well baby pink more specifically, or pastels. I prefer really bright colours for baby clothes..if ours is a girl and I prefer the baby 'boy clothes' then that's what I'll buy. Baby won't care either way.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone so happy to know that we can have a rainbow in our lives, LOL! However, if the cancer of pink and dead eyed Disney princesses takes over our home because our Daughter loves it then I'll happily accept the slow chalky death of pink.

If she takes after her mother her favorite color will be black, but there will be sparkles and glitter.

See soulless eyes...creepy

disney-disney-princess-31482655-1024-768.jpg
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone so happy to know that we can have a rainbow in our lives, LOL! However, if the cancer of pink and dead eyed Disney princesses takes over our home because our Daughter loves it then I'll happily accept the slow chalky death of pink.

If she takes after her mother her favorite color will be black, but there will be sparkles and glitter.

See soulless eyes...creepy

disney-disney-princess-31482655-1024-768.jpg

AWESOME!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda sure you don't HAVE to buy pink at all. It's not a law that just cause you have a baby girl you HAVE to have pink any more than blue for a boy.

Hell I had most of my son's clothing in red, black, green, orange. I'd buy whatever I liked regardless of color.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am going to recommend the book Cinderella Ate My Daughter for an interesting analysis of trying to raise girls in the middle of a princess culture.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My sweet girl likes blues and greens and pinks. She is 2, I can hold a blue or green outfit next to a pink one, she will usually pick the blue or green and say "this!" I do agree that most stores have a ton of pink, but the haven't had trouble finding other colors in abundance also.
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have always seen tons of different options for baby girl clothes, purple, yellow, white, multi-colored, and yes lots of pink. I believe it is the same way for baby boys, though, but with blue. I never minded because I thought all of her outfits were pretty adorable. But don't worry before you know it she will start telling you what she likes... and you may or may not agree :smile:
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Pink Stinks!
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Black is the new pink.

Orange is the new black.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You know, if you don't tell people what you're having, they'll get you gender-neutral stuff. This works especially well if you have a second child and it's the opposite sex -- you won't have to buy all new everything.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I think its a lot easier when they are babies as there a lot of gender neutral clothes and toys. Its when they get a bit older and then all the toys turn pink that it gets horrific - pink kitchen set anyone?

My friend's 4 year old hates pink so much she refuses to go to birthday parties if there is any pink on the invitation. She once arrived at a party and turned right back out when she saw pink balloons. Her best friend had to have a pirate party just so that she would come. That kid will grow up to run the world I swear.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much about being against pink, as it is about fighting conventionality. My son's 3 month pictures, Nov '96, weren't being taken in some blue, white, yellow romper thing. I just didn't want it. I got a lot of grief from everyone except my wife. I went to Baby Gap (was new at the time) and bought khaki pants, denim shirt and topsiders. Still love that pic. Found the clothes in a box a few years later, and thought it was clothes for their build a bear.

My wife never wears pick, but she likes me in it. Children of the 80's, The Preppy Handbook has a longer effect than any of us imagined. Lol
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I was watching a show once where these girls bought a black tutu and little black biker boots for a baby girl. It was pretty cool!
    Hahaha, my daughter was the only girl in her ballet class to be sporting a black tutu. The rest of her outfit was white. She was so adorable.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    you're doomed to a world of princess, glitter and pink. ;)

^^^^ No matter what! Besides, once she's here, you won't care!
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just went to Target to buy a gift for a baby shower for a little girl, and I was shocked by the number of clothing options they had that weren't pink! It was great! So maybe it is a sign that other stores may have other options??
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Pick a theme of neutral colors for the room, bed set. You will get pink clothes, it's inevitable. We have a girl and we've bought boys clothes when we find something she likes or picks out.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thankfully now there are a few more options....purple has become kinda big, sears has purple pack play and high chairs. Also babiesrus had some different colored clothes, some had pink with other colors but some was just different colors. Good luck, hooray for you and your baby!
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My wife and I tried to avoid the pink monster, neither one of us really like the color. Our daughter is nearly five and just loves wearing it, along with lots of purple.

In fact my wife now has some pink in her wardrobe!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm not girly, so of course, my daughter is about as girly as you can get. But they evolve, become their own person and its fun to watch.

She's still girly, but she also hunts and competes in judo...her instructor says she is a John Deere tractor painted in pink glitter...tough, but pretty!