PLEASE read if you have children or know children!

Options

Replies

• ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All I got from that was the writer doesn't know the difference between poisonous and venomous.

Seriously? LOL Poison vs Venom

The terms poison and venom are often used interchangeably, but they actually have very different meanings. It is the delivery method that distinguishes one from the other.

Poison is absorbed or ingested; a poisonous animal can only deliver toxic chemicals if another animal touches or eats it.

Venom, on the other hand, is always injected. Every venomous animal has a mechanism to inject toxins directly into another animal. Stab with tails. Slash with spines. Pierce with fangs. Spike with spurs. Shoot with harpoons. Chew with teeth.

For example, frogs are usually poisonous while snakes are usually venomous.

So, what were you confused about?
    "The Puss Caterpillar or woolly slug is the most poisonous caterpillar in the USA. This little monster will spit acid at any ‘attacker’ and is loaded with poisonous spines all over its body that cause extreme reactions on contact with human skin. Because these creatures can be mistaken for cotton balls as they are quite striking in appearance, people rashly pick them up and really suffer for it. This creepy crawler likes citrus trees, elms, oaks and many different garden plants, so do keep your eyes peeled."

That part. Right there in the definition you provided:
    Spike with spurs.

You're correct. The author of the article was wrong.

Thread hijacker.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    OMG I've heard about those things...we just moved to Ocala...how scary thanks for the heads up!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Do you mean these guys?

terri-woolly-caterpillar.jpg

That's a Woolly Bear! The bigger the brown stripe in the middle the nicer the winter will be. I think this guy is telling us to watch out.

Lol, my daughter told me my dad caught a grizzly bear this weekend, but was really talking about one of these.
  • slmakar
    Options
    There are treatment options if you do get stung. I don't know if the OP tried any of these, but they do help make the pain bearable.

In this order:
    1. use tape to pull out any spines stuck in the skin. Think waxing.
    2. ice, lots of ice. This should be a given, because almost any time you have hot, red swelling, you should be applying ice.
    3. benedryl. Basically it's an allergic reaction, so treat the reaction.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    To reference this in terms that Trekkies can understand, this little ba$tard looks like a tribble with a tail.

QFT!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You just want us to be aware of this one because it got to you.

Correct.

Well then, let me also warn everyone of the horror that is the scorpion. Also prevalent in the south, these little *kitten* will make you feel like you are dying or wish to die just to make the pain and sickness stop. The sting feels like being slapped by metal, subsequently to be followed by immediate and rapid swelling, itchiness, and pain. Within hours, you will run a high fever with a headache. This will be followed by stomach cramps and vomiting. You may not know where you are or have any idea how you came to feel this way. Scorpions are dangerous and deadly and EVERYWHERE in the south so please please please be careful and watch out for them.

How many people here were aware that scorpions can sting and it hurts?
    EVERYONE.

I'd be willing to bet cash money that a large number of people were unaware that this cute little cuddly critter was a poisonous venomous hellbeast from realms beyond.

Thanks though for the heads up that scorpions can hurt.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I think even adults need to be informed about this. I know a few grown men that like to play with random bugs. Thanks for this post.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do you mean these guys?

terri-woolly-caterpillar.jpg

NO! those are wooly bear caterpillars and i love them <3
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Correct.

Well then, let me also warn everyone of the horror that is the scorpion. Also prevalent in the south, these little *kitten* will make you feel like you are dying or wish to die just to make the pain and sickness stop. The sting feels like being slapped by metal, subsequently to be followed by immediate and rapid swelling, itchiness, and pain. Within hours, you will run a high fever with a headache. This will be followed by stomach cramps and vomiting. You may not know where you are or have any idea how you came to feel this way. Scorpions are dangerous and deadly and EVERYWHERE in the south so please please please be careful and watch out for them.

EVERYONE.

I'd be willing to bet cash money that a large number of people were unaware that this cute little cuddly critter was a poisonous venomous hellbeast from realms beyond.

I have never seen or heard of the type of caterpillar the OP is referencing (I'll put a pic below, if anyone is curious, because I certainly was) and am glad she shared because I had no idea. I grew up playing with different caterpillars and never thought of any of them as being potentially harmful, and since I live where these things can pop up, I am grateful to now be aware of them.

I was, however, aware of the scorpion, which is the opposite of fluffy and touchable seeming, and have never desired to be around one to experience it. Sorry for your experience Husky, but I totally don't get your reaction to the OP's topic to spread awareness.

tumblr_lhtw938wbX1qeeqk5o1_500.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Correct.

EVERYONE.

I have never seen or heard of the type of caterpillar the OP is referencing (I'll put a pic below, if anyone is curious, because I certainly was) and am glad she shared because I had no idea. I grew up playing with different caterpillars and never thought of any of them as being potentially harmful, and since I live where these things can pop up, I am grateful to now be aware of them.

I was, however, aware of the scorpion, which is the opposite of fluffy and touchable seeming, and have never desired to be around one to experience it. Sorry for your experience Husky, but I totally don't get your reaction to the OP's topic to spread awareness.

Yes. Comparing the two pictures makes it obvious which one children ... or anyone would be more likely to try to touch and think is totally a safe and loveable thing
    post-13823-Scorpions-are-nature-s-way-of-yfGh.jpeg
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to teach my children and grandchildren to be afraid of all insects, etc. However, I will help them to avoid the ones that will cause harm. Education is a good thing.
  • mbcgwen
    mbcgwen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I'm interested in how you were able to positively ID the caterpillar (Megalopyge opercularis) as the culprit? Did you take a photo (or the actual specimen) with you to the hospital where you were treated?

This sounds like a pretty severe reaction. If you're still having symptoms a day later, or if you haven't yet had medical treatment, you should do so as soon as possible.

Here's some first aid info: http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/puss-caterpillar-stings-topic-overview
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I lived in Florida for most of my life and can attest to these bad boys. I was ALWAYS shuffled away from them when I was younger. Regardless of how she identified it -- that's the bugger we're told to leave be when we're kids down here. They are ALL OVER state parks. You have to watch when you're holding onto the posts to go up/down things that you aren't laying your hand on one.
  • bedot
    bedot Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My Mother told me that when I was about 3 or 4 years old she had given one of them to me to pet as well and immediately broke out in a rash. Spread from the palm of my hand to my elbow. Luckily that was all that happened, but yes these little fuzzy things are dangerous!! So sorry that happened to you...scary!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Wow! I don't have kids, but I hope to some day. This is scary, because I grew up in a Georgia, which is close to Florida. I played with caterpillars ALL OF THE TIME as a child. Yikes!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    But it's a very hungry caterpillar!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Correct.

EVERYONE.

Yeah, well I never saw the scorpion that stung me and since my mom found them in her bed and clothing (stung 7 different times) I feel it equally point out that there all kinds of scary " monsters" in the world.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My father just moved to central Florida. I've never heard of these and appreciate the heads up for when I go to visit him!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    I lived in Florida for most of my life and can attest to these bad boys. I was ALWAYS shuffled away from them when I was younger. Regardless of how she identified it -- that's the bugger we're told to leave be when we're kids down here. They are ALL OVER state parks. You have to watch when you're holding onto the posts to go up/down things that you aren't laying your hand on one.

Hi Velvet,
    Yes I took a photo of it. Unfortunately I suck at posting pics here in the threads :)
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options

Correct.

EVERYONE.

Yes. Comparing the two pictures makes it obvious which one children ... or anyone would be more likely to try to touch and think is totally a safe and loveable thing
    post-13823-Scorpions-are-nature-s-way-of-yfGh.jpeg

THANK YOU