How do you avoid a pink world if you have a little girl?

Options
12346»

Replies

• myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    -
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    We had to relent just because people were giving us BOXES of clothing for free and that's just how it shakes out. Turns out, she looked great in pink. But for us it was more about the type of clothing and less about the color. It's up to you if you want to dress her like a baby-baby or like a little adult. I call our daughter's style "tiny adventurer".

Historically pink was actually considered the more masculine color all the way up through the 1920s. Consumers started choosing pink as a "girls" color in the 1940s. I was also told by one of our museum curators here that the pink/blue issue arose around the time people starting believing that it was healthy to take babies outside on walks. They wanted people on the street to know whether the baby was a boy or a girl on sight and praise them accordingly.

So I decided two things: free clothes were beautiful and generous gifts and I was not going to be picky (hence the pink), and when I do dress her in the dinosaur stuff that I received as gifts or purchased on my own, I really don't mind when people mistake her for a boy. I don't even correct them because a compliment is a compliment, who cares about the rest of it.

Congrats! Little girls are great (so far)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Even worse than the color pink are the onsies with sayings like "Daddy's little princess" or "Pretty like Mommy". Terrible.

There are a few websites that cater to parents who don't want to turn their daughter into a hot pink tutu princess. Here's one I like:
    http://www.amightygirl.com/clothing?age_range_filter=7

I'm trying to figure out why those sayings are so terrible. :indifferent:

OP, both my girls wore turquoise, lavender, black, etc. Even with a purple dress on and pierced ears someone asked how old HE was. Dress her how you want while you can. Mine won't let me anymore ;)

Because I'm not trying to raise a princess that is only judged by her looks. I'm trying to raise a smart, capable girl who can be anything she wants to be. Why box them into a type so early on?
    Same thing with boys clothes like "Daddy's little quarterback". Just because he is a boy doesn't mean he should be decked out in sports gear. It's the stereotypes that are terrible.

The funny thing is about kids is they are going to grow up to be whoever they want to be. So while you don't want a princess... you will probably end up with one anyway. Or you might not... it's up to the kid's personality, really.
    The other funny thing is that the harder you fight against something, the more the kid is going to want to do that thing.

I bet that little girl's hero is going to be Cinderella just to drive Mom crazy.

Obviously, what a onesie says determines a kid's forever-after personality.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Even worse than the color pink are the onsies with sayings like "Daddy's little princess" or "Pretty like Mommy". Terrible.

There are a few websites that cater to parents who don't want to turn their daughter into a hot pink tutu princess. Here's one I like:
    http://www.amightygirl.com/clothing?age_range_filter=7

I'm trying to figure out why those sayings are so terrible. :indifferent:

OP, both my girls wore turquoise, lavender, black, etc. Even with a purple dress on and pierced ears someone asked how old HE was. Dress her how you want while you can. Mine won't let me anymore ;)

Because I'm not trying to raise a princess that is only judged by her looks. I'm trying to raise a smart, capable girl who can be anything she wants to be. Why box them into a type so early on?
    Same thing with boys clothes like "Daddy's little quarterback". Just because he is a boy doesn't mean he should be decked out in sports gear. It's the stereotypes that are terrible.

The funny thing is about kids is they are going to grow up to be whoever they want to be. So while you don't want a princess... you will probably end up with one anyway. Or you might not... it's up to the kid's personality, really.
    The other funny thing is that the harder you fight against something, the more the kid is going to want to do that thing.

I bet that little girl's hero is going to be Cinderella just to drive Mom crazy.

Obviously, what a onesie says determines a kid's forever-after personality.

Yep... this. When the oldest got a little older, I had her in dresses and frills. By the time she was about 8, she would have nothing to do with dresses. Even to this day, I can't get her in a dress. My sister had her as a bridesmaid in her wedding and she wore the dress but frowned for every. single. picture.
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Pinks not bad...as long as you teach her to accessorize correctly :drinker:
    null_zpsfbad89ad.jpg
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it has anything to do with my daughter having an older brother. If you call her a princess she will say, "I AM NOT A PRINCESS!" in a low loud voice. Her favorite colors are green and purple. She HATES dresses. We have acreage so when my children play outside they are in their grubby clothes. Hers tend to be hand-me-downs from her brother.

Halloween is soon upon us. I have a hard time finding her a costume some years. Most of the girl costumes have dresses. She found a costume this year. She will be a phantom, with a purple robe and a hood that covers her face. Perfect!

My daughter doesn't like to play with dolls or play house. But she loves her stuffed animals and they all have names. lol

I am amazed how many things out there that are pink. Clothes are one thing. Anything you can buy in regular colours, you can also buy in pink. From toys, fishing rods, Nerf guns, to sports items. If you want it in pink they have it. I love colour and I think that would drive me nuts if everything was pink.

I am not a pink girl and I'm so glad my little girl is not one either. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you call her a princess she will say, "I AM NOT A PRINCESS!" in a low loud voice.

But is she a khaleesi?
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby girl! :flowerforyou: I think it likely that her personality will be very much like yours - nurture? nature? both? My daughter likes pink, but she likes other colors as well. My DD is 5 and I am SO sad that I just discovered these too late for her:
    http://unclegoose.com/products/elemental-blocks/ They are blocks with the elements from the periodic table on them. I think they are so cool, I want to spread the word! (And no, I don't work for them :smile: )
  • rml_16
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby girl! :flowerforyou: I think it likely that her personality will be very much like yours - nurture? nature? both?
    LMAO

My mother is not like her mother, I am not like my mother and my daughter is not like me.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby girl! :flowerforyou: I think it likely that her personality will be very much like yours - nurture? nature? both?
    LMAO

My mother is not like her mother, I am not like my mother and my daughter is not like me.

I stand corrected; each family is different. My grandmother, mother, myself, and my daughter are all very much alike in our core values/basic personalities.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well suffice to say I have two daughters 19.5 months and a 3 year old as of aug 10th my girls wear every color there is , I put them in whatever suits them best , I like all colors , My husband was totally against them always being in pink but he let go of that , pink is just a color , I know there's are a lot of pink when it comes to girls , but there are also purple, green, yellow blue so on and neutral there are other options no worries.. congrats by the way I love having daughters I m very close to my mother myself so I get to experience that same kind of relationship , but I would have loved having boys too.

I think if my daughters want to wear pink or love dresses so be it , I want them to be themselves and if they would rather not its fine too. I have always preferred being more feminine in my clothing choices, but I can and have played in the dirt, gone fishing and camping and can still wear a dress. clothes are clothes :)
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ok, Look at my profile pic. Do I look like a pink mom? Not so much. But I can say my daughter had some pink, and some glitter and we both survived. She also had some cute little camo outfits and hair bows as well, Cabella's and the sporting stores have some really unusual kid clothing options that don't revolve around one gender, so do some of the boutique type stores. I found lots of non-pink stuff at those. Now at 14 she's a purple girl. But hey, it's not the end of the world she can still out fish most of the boys in her purple hoodies. It's all good.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eh, you get used to it. throw a little yellow in the mix and you'll be okay.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    ...We like pink.

But they do make clothes in other colors. Actually our daughters room is purple! GASP.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have three girls and while there has definitely been girly girl stuff around here, we haven't ever been completely pink. We've had some yes, but not anything over the top. I think the worst of it is when they're babies and other people are buying you stuff but even then we didn't have anything too crazy. As they get older they develop their own tastes and style and you have to respect that but even my super girly girl wasn't over the top pink. Dress her how you want when she's little and work with her as she grows.

My nine year old daughter went to a costume party last weekend dressed as "Uncle Si" from Duck Dynasty. She won the "Manliest Man" award for her costume and was the first girl in the history of the contest to do so. :laugh: As soon as they get old enough to have an opinion, believe me, they will express it!
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I bought tons of pink but simple items for my darling little girl, but now, I have an almost 6 year old that is only interested in Batman, Ironman, Leggos and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Can't get her to wear a dress, she only likes something if it's a "boy thing." She's a weirdo. I love her to death and I totally respect her choices, but you don't have to be so worried about it. There's tons of other colors that baby clothes come in. Just shop around more, especially online. The internet has tons of fun stuff!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who didn't let her daughter wear any pink. She didn't like how cliche it was.

I, however, just seemed to gravitate toward it when I had my daughter. And my daughter seems to like pink things now she's able to start choosing things herself. I actually really love it. =)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

My nine year old daughter went to a costume party last weekend dressed as "Uncle Si" from Duck Dynasty. She won the "Manliest Man" award for her costume and was the first girl in the history of the contest to do so. :laugh: As soon as they get old enough to have an opinion, believe me, they will express it!

BEST COSTUME EVER!!