Does anyone feel the same? (Lost weight but still feel fat?)

Options
1235»

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Eta - I also feel less pretty in the face for some reason - I used to like my face and felt it was a slightly redeeming factor - in fact I'd never look in a mirror that showed below shoulder level
    Now I barely look in a mirror at all

Yes! Me too! I look older, and I feel like my nose and ears are more prominent!

I had the same problem, however, when taking lots of new photos and comparing to the old photos side by side I really do see that I look better, even though I look older and my features are sharper. It is difficult to adjust to but over time becomes more apparent that it is a positive change despite some negatives. Maybe you'll discover the same!

I hope you are right. I keep telling myself that my health and fitness changes are a positive that trumps the negative. Someday I will get used to my new face. :flowerforyou:
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    This is exactly me. I'm 40 pounds down but I feel like I look exactly the same -- fat, lumpy, misshapen. It seems as if five months and 40lbs should have made more of a difference.
  • Chuchiiee
    Options
    This describes me 100%

In December, 2011 I started off at 173 which was my junior year of college. Now to date, I weigh 147 which is 26 pounds down.

However, I still feel the same. I look in the mirror and I have the same body shape...just a smaller version. I am naturally apple shaped so you can guess where all the fat still left on me is stored (My gut and arms).

Every time I look in the mirror I still feel depressed. I thought I'd love shopping when I lost weight, but it seems like I hate it more. I was a size 11/13 (junior) in jeans before and though a 13 definitely doesn't fit, I still have no problem reaching for a size 11.. I actually have no clue what my real pant size is. I just throw on a belt on my size 11's and they look fine. I wear a medium in shirts now compared to the larges and x-larges I used to wear, but I still can't seem to see a difference. Originally my goal weight was 145... But It looks like I'll have to change it and go lower. Maybe 130 is my ideal weight because 145 just won't cut it.
  • mariahk35
    Options
    not only do I feel that way but my crazy thoughts sometimes think my scale is lying and I really didn't lose weight.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm terrified of switching to maintainance because of it.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Changing your body composition (more lean mass, less body fat) will go a long way in helping you see what you want in the mirror (unless you have BDD or some other distorted views) ... Do some sort of strength training (not necessarily traditional weight lifting, yoga and Pilates works too), in addition to your cardio ... Simply dieting isn't going to get you the physique you desire (for most people, I'm sure there are some people out there who just want to look good in clothes ... but most of us want to look good out of them too) ...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    not only do I feel that way but my crazy thoughts sometimes think my scale is lying and I really didn't lose weight.

thats where the before and after piccies come in. until i saw some that my friend posted of me is when i saw how much i lost.

i was told my brain hadnt caught up with my body and i think it was true. i now can see what i have lost and am happy. still wip re reducing fat.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am sort of in that boat. I feel its hard to be happy that I lost this weight because last Tuesday my weigh in was the exact weight I was when I started the last time and lost 54lbs but gained it back. Now Im sort of floating day by day doing what I have to do, but sort of lost the excitement of it all. I think this feeling is normal. Just keep working at staying in shape and don't focus on the numbers as much then you will feel and look so much more healthier. That's what I tell myself anyways.
  • stickwithit2013
    stickwithit2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Going by my own awareness of my self and how I look in the mirror, I don't feel any different. This was also the case when I was *gaining* weight: I didn't feel fat then, but I do feel fat now!

I can see the difference in photos and I really enjoy the "surprise" each time, but it still feels like my clothes are growing rather than it being me who is shrinking. I've lost a bit over 75lbs so far, with my ticker representing only the loss since joining.

People say "Oh you must feel so much better!" (meaning fat=unhealthy rather than aesthetically) and I don't at all, it didn't make a difference. I do have a neurological disorder though so maybe that's why: I lost weight to make it easier for my carers to support me and push my wheelchair, not for myself.

I'm not quite into a normal BMI, which is my initial goal, but I doubt I'll feel thin when I get to my ultimate goal either!

Rather than it making me feel it's not worth the effort, I've found it a motivation! :)
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel the exact same way. I've lost 41 lbs but I still shop for the same large sizes. When I weighed more I was somehow more comfortable wearing tighter clothes, now I can't handle wearing anything that shows that I'm overweight at all so I wear bigger clothes. I keep thinking once I hit my goal I'll feel 100% better, but I know it's psychological from being overweight and focusing on my outward appearance for so long.
  • HiSpirit
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I know that I wear a small or a size 4 but when I look at myself in a mirror I still see a fat person. Body wise. In my face I feel like I look older and that it's all ears, nose and teeth. I pray that I can maintain now that I've reached my goal. I also pray that with time I will see the new me instead of still seeing the old me when I look in a mirror.
  • Chuchiiee
    Options
    Yes, I feel the exact same way. I've lost 41 lbs but I still shop for the same large sizes. When I weighed more I was somehow more comfortable wearing tighter clothes, now I can't handle wearing anything that shows that I'm overweight at all so I wear bigger clothes. I keep thinking once I hit my goal I'll feel 100% better, but I know it's psychological from being overweight and focusing on my outward appearance for so long.

This is also me too. I realize when I was bigger I would wear figure fitting clothes but now that I've lost weight, I reach for clothes that hide my body by being big and loose.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't feel fat but I will be happier if my calves slim down.
  • cherylbileau
    cherylbileau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I am a 40 y.o. woman who started out at 290 pounds and now I have lost 111 pounds. I am obsessed with continuing to lose weight since I am still 30 pounds over weight. I am constantly trying to not eat carbs or when I do I limit it to under 50g and never wheat, sugar, etc. When my weight is up a pound or so I restrict calories to no more than 750 and I try to get my exercise up to a level that I will burn most if not ALL of the calories consumed for the day. It is not healthy. I am in treatment.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I lost the first 30lbs I was utterly convinced that I looked the exact same and the only thing that could get me to see logic was when I tried on a pair of pants that I couldn't even get on before and they were somewhat loose.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Even after 152 pounds off I still some days feel fat. And I'm constantly worried about not being able to get the rest of it off (need to lose another 75) or gaining it back. I think anyone who has a lot of weight to lose has this issue, so you are not alone.

I've been told it takes our head a long time to catch up with our bodies, so take heart that someday you may stop feeling this way.

152lbs is amazing! Awesome dedication!