Nearly 100 lbs lost (& 100 more to go!) - My story

Options
I am on the brink of having lost 100 pounds.
My story is not unlike many other girls growing up. I comforted myself with food (mostly sugar) since I was a child. My mom tells me stories of how I traded a banana for a piece of candy from our next-door neighbor or the time she discovered my “stash” under my pillow in bed. From as far back as my memory can reach, I was always a chubby girl. I was teased all throughout school and carried a massive amount of shame, guilt, disappointment, and anger into my young teens and on to adulthood.

I tried nearly every diet known to man. (Curves, Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, etc.) A few of them provided results but none of them lasting. I never have been "thin" or at a healthy weight in my adult life. At the beginning of my journey in February 2013 I stood at 5’4” tall, weighed in at 350 pounds and wore a size 28. My mental and physical health were deteriorating at a fast pace. I had developed type 2 diabetes, hypertension and was taking 2-4 pills per day.

February 1st 2013 marks the day I changed my life. I started off eating a very low carbohydrate diet. I have a huge sweet tooth and was completely addicted to carbs. My husband and I had to literally remove all of the processed junk from our cupboards and fridge. Any item that was not good for my diet was removed from our home. It was the best gift I could give to myself in order to stick to the goals I laid out.

For exercise, I committed to walking every day. I found myself getting easily winded; sweating profusely, and my back and knees would start to ache. At first I could only manage to walk one block. I tried to be as active as possible doing yard work, gardening, and cleaning. Meanwhile, working hard on my mental health and accepting the changes into my life.

The challenges I faced, such as not being able to reach for a bag of chips when I wanted a snack, was new for me. Now I face the snack options of jerky, string cheese, or almonds. I started to surprise myself on how easily I could be satisfied and feel full. It didn’t take an entire fridge of food to satisfy me after all!

In my first week on my new diet I dropped 11 pounds! My motivation was soaring and my goals to be free from medications and healthy enough to start a family with my husband were starting to feel achievable.

It's been close to 9 months of sticking to my new lifestyle and the results are astounding. I grin ear to ear as I type these milestones. I never thought them to be possible to achieve!

I am currently down 90 pounds.
I am no longer considered diabetic
I no longer have hypertension
I do not take any medication
I can walk 3 miles without struggle
I currently weigh 259 and wear a size 20/22

The accomplishments and improvements are extreme given what small amount of effort it truly has taken. I'm not sure if it feels that way because I am in the routine or because I simply had reached the right frame of mind to be able to put all of the pieces together and in motion.

I do know that since eating low carb I have not succumb to any cravings and have complete control whereas prior I was hopelessly addicted to carbs. Food was my escape. I ate my emotions. I ate from boredom and out of habit. I would sit there eating one meal while already planning my next. That has all changed now. I eat for fuel and ....who am I kidding! I still eat for taste but now I know when to stop. Food no longer governs my life.

I look forward to getting out and doing things. I use to dread meeting new people and now it excites me. There is this desire inside of me to continually better myself and to make a difference in the world around me. My confidence has improved with every pound I've burned away.

I realize my journey will truly never end. I have approximately 100 more pounds to lose before I am at what a doctor or BMI calculator would deem as "healthy”, however, for now I am going to continue taking this journey of mine One Pound At A Time. <3

You can continue to follow my journey at: www.facebook.com/onelbatatime

r7t5.jpg

if51.jpg

Replies

• Rezelby
    Options
    phenomenal. well done!! keep going
  • dlauderm
    dlauderm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and amazing journey! Keep up the great work!
  • robsonv
    robsonv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is amazing...you are truly an inspiration and look fantastic...congrats! And best of luck on the rest of your journey :)
  • cwal1980
    cwal1980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself, truly inspirational and amazing! Way to go!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! Congratulations on your big life change!!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you so much for sharing! I can relate to pretty much everything you said. One thing I am still struggling with is using food when bored, still searching for some kind of hobby!
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until that is a full fledged, toothy smile! Keep up the good work!
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. A great accomplishment!
  • SteveCabral94
    SteveCabral94 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • Muddybear7
    Muddybear7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! You look great and congratulations on all your achievements!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Amazing!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Truly amazing story !!! I am inspired !! So proud of you dealing with all parts of your life.and...
    LOVE THE JEANS YOU ARE WEARING.
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Love this! You look amazing and I'm sure you feel it too! I'm just starting to get back into walking again and this gives me a push to get going. You are an awesome and strong person. :)
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    In your before pic , you have this sad expression. The latest after pic has an expression that is confident and happy. Congrats on your loss! Amazing!
  • natashaSG
    Options
    Wow, what an accomplishment, and you look great! And that lace top in the final pic super cute. :)
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are almost there!! Good job :D!!!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your hard work and success! Keep up the great work :) You look AWESOME!!
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look fantastic. Keep up the great work!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

You look fabulous!!!
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    Amazing dedication and follow through! Best of luck as you continue growing healthier and happier! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!