Making Your Veggies Less Boring? Share Your Recipes!

Options
Songbirdcw
Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
I'm getting bored with eating the same old vegetables. Mostly I cook kale, broccoli, spinach, and stringed beans. I would love to try aspargus, zucchini, and maybe even egg plants (these options still kind of scare me, but I'm trying to be adventurous). I need to add some variety and add some spice to my life. :-) Please share how you cook your vegetables including sauces and or seasonings you use. Help! :sad:

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I never find veg boring.
    But if you want tasty and straightforward, specially at this time of year, peel and chop as many as you can get hold of ( squash, parsnips, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, sweeetcorn, brusssels sprouts, turnips...) and put them in the oven for about 30/40 mins.
    Totally delicious. If you do too many you can puree them with stock of your choice for yummy soup.
    :tongue:
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is great to try out. Cut the stems such that they are even in length, and the woody parts are removed. In a hot skillet, splash a bit of Worcestershire sauce, and a tiny bit of water. Let them sautee up, until they are tender but NOT limp. They should still crunch, but they shouldn't be limp. Great as a bed for your protein :-)
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love roasted asparagus with a little garlic and olive oil - topped with a couple of slices of proscuitto, poached egg and a little grated cheese!

Roasted fennel is good too!
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite is asparagus. Preheat the oven to 450. Cut the ends off the asparagus and lay on a pan separated. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. bake 10-12 minutes or until the ends brown. Delicious.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just roast 'em all. I wash and pat dry all my vegetables, do any trimming needed, and then chunk up and toss in a pan, drizzle some walnut oil on top and then hand mix so I get everything coated with a thin layer of oil (a little goes a long ways). Then I add whatever spices I want, and cook at 350 degrees F for about 30-45 minutes. If I'm mixing vegetables that take a long time (carrots, potatoes) with others, I either cut up those slower cooking ones into smaller pieces or I toss them in the oven 15 minutes sooner and then add the rest after.

Last night I did the following:
    1. Carrots, zucchini, the white pieces of bok choy, red peppers, and broccoli - roasted as above (with sea salt and herbes de provence)

2. Fresh chives, green onions, and the leafy bits of the bok choy in butter with pine nuts and then mixed with couscous.

I then stir-fried up some beef strips that had been marinated in a port wine and olive oil and seasoning mixture for an hour. The beef was meant to be the side with the focus on the vegetables, and it really worked well.

Other good combos: asparagus, sweet potatoes, shallots, garlic, and cauliflower. Really, you can do this with any vegetable just about. Cut up brussel sprouts and add to the mix, toss in some eggplant chunks or different squashes.
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make curries out of everything. Saute chopped veggies with curry masala and salt in olive oil. If in mood for something stewy, add pureed tomatoes and chopped onions, minced ginger and garlic . yum.

or stirf ries.

or roasted veggies with olive oil drizzled and sprinkle with salt,pepper and garlic powder.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm boring steamed veggies w/ vinegar and butter makes me happy
  • penguin817
    Options
    Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on your broccoli for a different flavor.

Sauté Zucchini with oil and red chili flakes, garlic, s&p

Steam cauliflower then smash for "mashed potatoes"

Spaghetti squash, roast in the oven, then shred it into "spaghetti" and serve with a light tomato or Alfredo sauce; or eat with just some butter, s&p

Try spicing veggies up with the flavored balsamic vinegars that are on the market these days. I love this white balsamic and pear vinegar I have over French cut green beans. It makes a great side dish.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    I second all the suggestions to roast your veggies. I do mine at 200C-220C and spray liberally with olive oil. Approximate cooking times for vegetables I do frequently are

10-12 min for asparagus, green beans and snow peas
    25 min for broccoli and zucchini
    35 min for cauliflower
    45 for halved belgian endive

Also second the stir frying suggestion. Recipe is a great traditional stir fry recipe for green beans. I cut down on the frying time by blanching the beans by microwaving for a minute first.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vegetablesrecipes/r/greenbean.htm
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've been on a mission for several months to get five to seven servings of fruits and/or veggies a day, so am experimenting a lot.

How do you cook your spinach? I crush and mince a clove of garlic, then sautee it in a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan coated with a spritz of oil spray... once it releases that "garlic" scent, I toss in a bit of chicken or vegetable stock, throw the fresh spinach in, and put a lid on, turning the spinach every thirty seconds or so until it is still bright green, but wilted. So yummy; even for a snack!

I also love baked sweet potato... bake until ultra soft and eat as is, or with pumpkin pie spice on top. Now and then (I have a sweet tooth) I'll drizzle with a bit of honey. It's great beside any protein, and I often have a quarter cup of it tossed on top of my brown rice with chicken or fish. P.S. I do the same with fresh pumpkin.

Like others, I am big on steaming the veggies; I toss in whatever combo I have (I go for colour... last night it was zucchini, red bell peppers, and yellow squash; the other night it was asparagus, yellow bell pepper, and fresh cherry tomatoes -tossed in after steaming). I usually eat my veggie combos plain but have been known to make a quick vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed minced garlic, and a small dab of dijon mustard.

Of course, there is always the lite stir-fry; spray a non-stick pan with spray oil, then put in a teaspoon of oil, toss in minced garlic (see a pattern here?), sliced onions, sliced ginger, and sliced bell peppers. Let them soften a bit, then toss in other veggies (bok choy, thinly sliced carrot, sliced mushrooms, whatever) and some chicken stock, stir as they soften and shut the lid to draw the juices out (I have a glass lid so I can keep an eye on them). Stir in a tablespoon full of stir fry sauce if you want, or just toss in a bit of soy sauce (the ginger and garlic already give everything a lovely flavour). As soon as the thicker bits start to soften, but before they are soggy, pull it off of the heat and serve over brown rice. Sometimes I toss a cupful of mung beans on the rice first (fresh) and then toss the lite stir-fried veggies in with the mung beans and rice. I've done a similar stir-fry with garlic, onions, red bell peppers and okra with success.

Microwave swiss chard or kale; wash the leaves and tear them into pieces, toss in a bowl whilst still wet, then put the bowl in a microwave with a plate or cover over it. Cook until tender and season as you like (my friend drizzles olive oil over hers, then a bit of salt, and I have to admit, it tastes pretty darned good when she does that).
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I never find veg boring.
    But if you want tasty and straightforward, specially at this time of year, peel and chop as many as you can get hold of ( squash, parsnips, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, sweeetcorn, brusssels sprouts, turnips...) and put them in the oven for about 30/40 mins.
    Totally delicious. If you do too many you can puree them with stock of your choice for yummy soup.
    :tongue:

^^^^ This what I do basically. I do toss them in a bit of olive oil, add some herbs as well as salt and pepper.
  • lets_fly_away
    Options
    Zucchini is so yummy! You can even make zucchini chips and have those instead of potatoe chips :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Chopped bacon with any vegetable
    Cook them in bacon fat
    Wrap them up in bacon
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Grilled zucchini :heart: brush with a little reduced sodium teriyaki sauce a minute before you take it off the grill.

I made a stir-fry tonight: mini bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery.

Orange glazed carrots :love:

Stuffed mushrooms

skewers (also for the grill): green pepper, mushroom, pineapple, onion. Brush with a lil' bbq sauce while it's grilling.
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yum! There are some great ideas here! This time of year I do a lot of spaghetti squash, pumpkin and eggplant. I've got a great recipe for chicken thighs w/ cubed eggplant, peppers, onions, garlic, tomoatoes and a few other things that makes a great easy meal. I slice the eggplant lengthwise sometimes and use that instead of noodles in a lightened up lasagna recipe. You can make a great hearty soup w/ pumpkin (puree cooked fresh or use canned), canellini beans, stock and some spices.

That being said, I'm reallllly struggling to get more than 2-3 fruits and veggies in a day... need to work on that!
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I absolutly love brocollini, but after a while it can be boring!

I boil it/cook it to how I like it and then place it in a pan with a dollop of garlic and chilli flakes and toss around, I then serve with a drizzle of balsamic...heaven!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Chopped bacon with any vegetable
    Cook them in bacon fat
    Wrap them up in bacon

Or this.......^^ Bacon makes everything taste delicious.....mmmm bacon

**off to make bacon sandwich**
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com is my favorite place to look for different ways to cook veg. I do a lot of soups, stews, tagines, curries-things like that.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    ive been eating sauteed shaved brussel sprouts with cut up pieces of bacon. it's so good.