VERY SERIOUS QUESTION 2 ASK! PLEAZ READ EVERY 1!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Beating/hitting vs spanking your child are NOT the same!!

Now I will never do what my mother did to us but if my girls need a pop on that booty I will do it to get their act straight cause I'm not going to have children who disrespect me or think "oh wow my mom is just sending me to my room/ taking my TV away for a week"
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Apparently my opinion is in the minority and i am sorry if I have offended anyone. I have not changed my opinion but I do respect all of yours. I apologize if I have upset anyone.

It's all good-- I totally see where you're coming from, and echo it usually. These topics usually are thrown out by people wanting to start trouble. One person a couple years ago asked advice on a gay marriage issue, then sat back and watched the uproar ensue.

The fact that the original poster is still in the discussion leads me to think it's probably a sincere question-- but one truly never knows. Myself? I ask personal questions and share personal issues all the time, but in a specific thread with people I know. Even though this is a weight loss site, my friends and I run the gamut of topics.

So-- bottom line-- I'm rambling. I see your point. Agree with it to a point, for sure-- but, it's all good. No harm, no foul.
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Beating/hitting vs spanking your child are NOT the same!!

Now I will never do what my mother did to us but if my girls need a pop on that booty I will do it to get their act straight cause I'm not going to have children who disrespect me or think "oh wow my mom is just sending me to my room/ taking my TV away for a week"

So what your saying is that kids that dont get spanked are disrespectful?? I beg to differ....As I said earlier, I have a 21 year old son, and an 18 yr old daughter. Both have always been very respectful, and I have never spanked/hit them. Both are in college and working full time jobs, and they turned out to be very well mannered, and very respectful to everyone.

I would send them to their room whenever they misbehaved, waited like a half hour and then went and talked to them about what they did wrong, and from there, depending on what they did, we would take privileges away. And it worked!

One thing I did take from my dad for extreme punishment, was to have them write 500 or 1000 times that they will not repeat whatever they did wrong. I absolutely hated this as a kid, and so did my kids. They both only had to do it like twice each over all the years.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I just seen kids who never got spanked and they are just bad kids - it could just be the parent and lack of parenting skills.

My mom had me do the writing sentences - the good thing about that is that I have pretty handwriting =)

Now I'm not saying you should spank a child where it leaves bruises. Now it's rare occasions where my daughter does get a spanking, it's not like a I spank her all the time where I don't like how she is acting. At times I give her a firm no and explain what she is did wrong and/or send her to room.
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Apparently my opinion is in the minority and i am sorry if I have offended anyone. I have not changed my opinion but I do respect all of yours. I apologize if I have upset anyone.

Please do not feel offended everyone should be able to express their own opinion. I agree with what you are saying 100%. I was spanked very rarely but when I was it was because I deserved it. And not only was it ok to spank at home it was ok it be spanked at school.
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Take a parenting class, you can ask the counselor anything you want and she will give you accurate info on how to deal with your kids/ teens. Sometimes when you can't understand what's going on with your child/teen and you have tried different things, its time to find some type of counsel.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    I think the whole get over yourself comment was a little rude and uncalled for. I understand stress effects weight but parenting sites are the place to discuss spanking. So are child abuse sites. This is a weight loss and nutrition site. Parenting questions that have nothing to do with weight loss or nutrition do not belong here.

There is no reason to get angry but there are better places to get answers for such questions. If parenting questions are your main focus then why not take advantage of the information on a parenting site. Also the please read every1 title is a little extreme.

It is a serious and important topic of conversation. I have children of my own and do not support spanking unless there is an EXTREME need for it. But I'm not going to come here and ask about child development and learning disablities or hormone development or anything. That is not why people come to this site.

Reading this post is completely optional. You don't have to if it bothers you.
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    It's in the motivation and support area, I don't tend to think she posted in the wrong place.

What I find really offensive are self appointed forum police.........although I have to give a tip to the OP........take your cap locks off because that does offend a lot of people and then you're not likely to get the kind of response you want.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    I just have one question for you: How would you feel if a man on the street beat up your grand-kids?
    Well it is no different here.. the only exception is that he has a "relationship" with you..
    He has no right at all to touch them or discipline them..

Secondly, if you need to discipline your grand kids (and i mean YOU and not your partner), then there are many ways to do it without spanking..