How to count excercise when cooking Thanksgiving Day

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging it as running an 8min/mile. Then I'll eat all the exercise calories back in pie.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    A. I never count cooking calories :noway: and

B. I will not count anything on Thanksgiving Day. Nothing, Nada, Zip, Zilch! I will however, spend time with my family and enjoy myself. That will mean extra dessert and lots of beverages :drinker: One day ain't gonna kill me or send me over the edge as far as the scale goes. Then.......

C. I'm gonna being the next day with a topic of "HELP!!! I ate too much!! Just cuz........... :laugh:

Ok, kidding on C!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I guess those people who have never prepared a Thanksgiving dinner have a right to complain about the "lack" of exercise used in cleaning, preparing, lifting, mixing, etc. that is involved in cooking. While I will let my fitbit track it for me, I do not plan on using cooking as my exercise. I plan on running before the dinner and maybe walking after I indulge. Enjoy your day and try not to sweat the cooking issue too much!

Get real! I cook more than a thanksgiving dinner every work day. You couldn't even fit some of the pots we use in a commercial kitchen on your home stove. Is it activity? Yes. Is it exercise to track? Heck no!

c'mon though! taking a turkey out of the oven is like 1 bent-over row or a deadlift! :laugh:

hilarious thread is hilarious.

I've never pulled a 80lb turkey out of the oven, not even as a PB.
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging it as running an 8min/mile. Then I'll eat all the exercise calories back in pie.

a calorie berned is a caloire earned
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    One day I will take over the cooking from my aunt and I'm looking forward to no more dry turkeys...
    Wrap it in tinfoil and baste, baste, baste! But don't open the overn door too often or it will take 11 hours to cook like one year with my family until my mother finally stood in front of the oven to stop my aunt from opening it. lol

I have done two turkeys (both the same year) and one I got this recipe that called for smearing butter, lemon juice and I think it was rosemary under the skin. I'm vegetarian and didn't taste it, but everyone claimed they loved it.

She just overcooks it but cooking it the day before, carving it, and putting it in those tinfoil pans and reheating in the oven.
    The dark meat is typically alright so I don't eat the breast meat lol

That method sounds pretty good, I'd add garlic and use thyme instead of rosemary though lol
    It was my first ever turkey and I was terrified of it coming out dry and didn't really know how to make it, so I looked up the recipe, then posted on FB for advice. lol

I had bought one and then after I bought it, one of my guests told me she had one her work had given her, so I made both (mine first). Everyone was kind of full by the time hers came out of the oven, so we had plenty of leftovers. The man ate turkey sandwiches for a month!

I still worry everyone was being polite, but it looked like it was moist, so I should probably believe that ...

Three words: Brine, Brine, Brine. You won't regret it!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    cooking isn't exercise...

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..

I disagree. ALL activity counts as exercise. Anytime we are off the couch moving, it is exercise. I found that out when I started wearing the FitBit Flex 24/7. You would be surprised how many calories one could burn spending hours cooking a large Thanksgiving dinner. Yep, it's exercise. Find a way to count it.
    I know how long it takes me to burn 100 calories running full speed up a very steep hill. I know what that feels like.

I will never count cooking.

Those who fail to prepare , fail to ... theres an old saying in texas. A calorie is a calorie. A calorie berned is a calorie earned.

Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Although I am an avid cook, I have never gotten my heart rate up to that of a brisk walk or jog. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?? Burn..........just burn.........
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Your comment made me laugh :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    How are you going to count all the cooking you will be doing on Thanksgiving? Are you going to count actual time or time for the whole day as you will be busy the whole day or at least most of it? Let me know how you plan to count this day. Thanks

Home cooking is not exercise.

Professional cooking is though.

I'm cooking for 18. I'm not going to be "logging" anything, just as I don't log yard work, taking a bm, or walking.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think one day of extra cooking won't matter over hr long haul. It seems a bit over the top to track calories burned while cooking thanksgiving which comes once a yr. I say relax. Cook or don cook. Eat to satisfaction have one piece of pie and call it good. I think this is totally overanalyzing the situation.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    cooking isn't exercise...

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..

I disagree. ALL activity counts as exercise. Anytime we are off the couch moving, it is exercise. I found that out when I started wearing the FitBit Flex 24/7. You would be surprised how many calories one could burn spending hours cooking a large Thanksgiving dinner. Yep, it's exercise. Find a way to count it.

Most of our daily activity is accounted for in the activity level setting...perhaps you should track how many calorie you burn breathing and log that as exercise. With MFP, the only activity not accounted for is actual exercise. Also, if people would actually set their activity level to what they actually frackin' do that would be helpful to them...everyone puts "sedentary" and very few people are, even before exercise.

When I did MFP I counted myself as light active because I do most of the cooking and whatnot in my family...even though I have a desk job. Then I logged actual exercise because that wasn't included in that activity level and ate those calorie back...but by all means...log those calories burned from breathing and your heart beating.

QFT

Also, OP and to anyone else reading this thread who is "worried" about Thanksgiving. IT'S ONE DAY! Get in some sort of exercise, walk, run, lift weights, cardio machine of your choice, whatever, then go home and enjoy the food. Don't even bother logging your food or your exercise for that day. Just enjoy it, and get back on track the next day. One day is NOT going to kill you.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    That's genius. Done. :drinker:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    How are you going to count all the cooking you will be doing on Thanksgiving? Are you going to count actual time or time for the whole day as you will be busy the whole day or at least most of it? Let me know how you plan to count this day. Thanks

Home cooking is not exercise.

Professional cooking is though.

I'm cooking for 18. I'm not going to be "logging" anything, just as I don't log yard work, taking a bm, or walking.

wait.. we can log taking a BM??? AWESOME +500 for me!! yay!!!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I tend to agree with the OP. I cook for two days, cook/bake well into the night, sleep for a bit, wake up early and start cooking again. Some of you may be avid cookers but I get a full workout when preparing Thanksgiving. My meals are not half hearted attempts and I run the full show, so maybe if you aren't getting a full workout cooking on Thanksgiving, maybe you just aren't doing it right.

:)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with the OP. I cook for two days, cook/bake well into the night, sleep for a bit, wake up early and start cooking again. Some of you may be avid cookers but I get a full workout when preparing Thanksgiving. My meals are not half hearted attempts and I run the full show, so maybe if you aren't getting a full workout cooking on Thanksgiving, maybe you just aren't doing it right.

:)

Well gee, you know as a semi-retired professional chef, former restaurant owner and former catering company owner, and current cooking class instructor, I'm guessing I'm doing it right. And I'm talking full blown everything from scratch.

Based on the amount of time it takes you and the "full workout' you say you are getting, I'm thinking it's you who are doing wrong. I'd strongly suggest a couple of classed at your local culinary school to learn some speed and knife techniques and how to properly prep and plan to that you can cut that time spent down.

If it took that much time to prep meals, even extensive ones, and that much exercise, in the restaurant business, you'd go broke.
  • mtec1971
    mtec1971 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    See, :) now everyone have a great time thinking about Thanksgiving dinner instead of stressing about it!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    did you knew there is a chemical protien in turkey called trichnosis that makes you sleepy? thats why you sleep so good on thanksgivin night.

tumblr_mnlvizdXtC1rcy99do1_500.gif
  • MantisToboggan_MD
    MantisToboggan_MD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How long will you be chasing the turkey? How fast is he?

john-hodgman.gif
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OP, please stand back and look at the big picture. Put it all into perspective.
    If you weren't cooking, would you be sitting on the couch ? Then should you calculate only the difference between sitting vs cooking?
    If you log your cooking, you best be prepared to log all your sampling while cooking. and while baking. and accurately log all on your dinner plate. and accurately log EVERY time you reach for a chip, or a veggie, or appetizer from the coffee table.

Your samplings / nibblings / underestimating food for the day will probably offset the extra calories burned while cooking.

CALCULATIONS :
    For me, 119 pounds, for 1 hour :

108 calories = Cooking & Food Prep. Per MFP

118 calories = standing while working. Per JustStand.org
    91 calories = sitting while working. Per JustStand.org
    27 calories = difference between standing & sitting. Per JustStand.org

so.....approx 30 extra calories I burned in that hour.
    I can EASILY overset that by the unlogged food calories I consume.. ie while tasting the mash potatoes to see if they have enough salt, or the gravy, or nibbling on veggies while prepping, or a potatoe chip & dip, or whatever.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    btw ~ I'm in no way discounting the labor of love to put on a wonderful Thanksgiving spread. Yes, it takes hours of physical work, and yes it is exhausting. I've done it many a time.

OP, I hope your family really appreciates all you do for them .
    ~Have a great holiday :flowerforyou:
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not counting cooking calories. I may or may not count the calories I will burn from my 8 hr Black Friday shopping spree that night :)