People having success, what exercise do you do?

Options

Replies

• micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I do what I call interval running EVERY morning for about 30 minutes with my dog.

I work out at lunch time with co-workers doing a hybrid of T25, Insanity and P90X Monday thru Friday (occasionally taking a day off, but not too often). This ranges from 30-50 minutes depending on the routine for the day.

Then on Wednesdays I go to a fit club that does various Beachbody workouts for an hour.

I definitely noticed more muscle tone/definition when I add the P90X into our routine instead just solely cardio, though that Insanity Max Interval Circuit really worked my back and shoulders as well as cardio yesterday.

Next month I plan to include more strength training 3x's a week in the evenings.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is do find what you enjoy, and to do it consistently.

I like to lift weights and I do that three times a week. I was doing Starting Strength for many months. Recently I hired an online trainer and he has given me my workouts. I've also done my own programming and I've hired in-person trainers and I've used programs that I found online. It all works -- but only if you actually do it, so do what you love.

So my rountine is: full body resistance workouts Sun-Tues-Thurs. I do some warming up before and some foam rolling and/or stretching afterwards. The whole things takes around 60 minutes.

I go for a walk or ride a stationary cycle on Mon-Wed-Fri. It can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes. I don't really crush it or anything. One day I will do intervals, two days I do steady state.

I'm a big believer in giving my body enough recovery time -- because I'm older, because I've been injured, because I have fibromyalgia, because whatever, but I believe in rest and recovery.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Read some great stuff here....good thread...Anybody done the Abdoer?...I really want to lose some fat around the stomach area...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    This time last year - walk to and from work, and....er.........

Now:
    Short (20-25 min) Rsemary Conley DVD workout before breakfast - aerobics or toning 5-6 days per week plus:

Monday pm - 1 hour Zumba (sometimes we walk there and/or back - 15 mins each way
    Tues-Friday either 20-40 mins Wii Zumba 2 OR 30-45 mins Davina Body Buff/Power of 3/[the one I forget] DVD workout before dinner
    At the weekends I might have a longer walk - 40-60 mins - if the weather is good, or walk to and from the shops (30-45 mins) if I have errands, and/or another workout.

I set myself to "sedentary" and log every bit of exercise when I am sitting at my desk all day (like now) but in term time I change to lightly active.

ETA you can't spot reduce fat. My legs are very muscular now (but not in a body builder way:tongue: ) but I still have some belly softness I want to get rid of.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Spin®, baby Spin® !!
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Weider X Factor ST 8 week program. I like it so far, have been losing inches. Its 3 days a week and I might do another Jillian DVD for 1-2 days. I don't work out on weekends...

I agree that diet is key.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do a different exercise every day, 7 days a week.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We bought a $300 elliptical and added a stationary recumbent bike a few months later. My husband and I both use them every morning, at least 20 minutes on each, sometimes I do an extra 20 on the elliptical. We've each lost 100 lbs.

I also lift weights a couple of times per week.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    INSANITY, walking, jogging!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Read some great stuff here....good thread...Anybody done the Abdoer?...I really want to lose some fat around the stomach area...

Abdominal exercises don't rid fat from the stomach area. Your body burns fat from wherever it wants.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with the variety of workouts people have posted. good job everyone !!
    lots of great ideas. thanks for sharing & inspiring us all :)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I don't do ANY exercise, and I'm doing extremely well. 13 pounds in two months! Yay Taco Bell diet! :drinker:

I'm not kidding, by the way. :bigsmile:
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The Brazil Butt Lift, it has several workouts not all designated to the butt and legs, it has a fun all over body dance workout, an ab workout, a butt and leg workout, a resistance for butt and thighs workout, and a sculpt workout for the upper body. I like it I lost 36lbs with it and got great results. It is a 6 day a week program and the workouts are about 35 mins long.
  • saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think I am a "fit" person yet. I just walk. That's about it. I admit I am pretty darn lazy. My weight loss is without a doubt more from a calorie deficit than anything else.

96lbs , mostly by calorie deficit?? Thats amazing!! :smile:
  • saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    omg... people here are such inspirations!! losing 100 pounds... 150 pounds...

I can't even imagine the kind of determination they have!!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i do soul cycle (full body indoor cycling workout) 2-3x a week, anywhere from 30-45 minutes of cardio (stair mill, elliptical, running) typically twice a week. i also will try to have an active "rest" day of walking or leisurely bicycling along with one complete rest day.

however, there is no way to out exercise a bad diet. i do all of this on top of eating 80-90% clean as well as making sure to weigh and measure EVERYTHING!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Could those people who are doing well give me an idea of what kind of exercises you do daily/weekly, and how long and how often you do them?

I run 7-10km twice a week. Swim 2-2.5km twice a week. Cycle 25-30km twice a week. Lift weights (Starting Strength) 2x a week. I walk 6km three times a week.

All in, it's approximately a 12 hr/week commitment.

Losing at 1.5-2 pounds per week, consistently. Regular body fat measurements suggest virtually all of it is fat loss, with full lean mass preservation (at least, so far).
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    let's see i run (anywhere from 3-8 miles) and i lift weights (anywhere from 5-20lbs) on days i don't run and i do this for 30/40 minutes. i don't have a lot to loose and being short a little goes a long way for me. that being said. i went from a very tight 14 pant to a size 10. my waist is 3 inches smaller, my arms are more tone, i no longer have back fat and this summer i wore my first two piece bathing suit.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think I am a "fit" person yet. I just walk. That's about it. I admit I am pretty darn lazy. My weight loss is without a doubt more from a calorie deficit than anything else.

96lbs , mostly by calorie deficit?? Thats amazing!! :smile:

Doesn't sound amazing to me. Calorie deficit is the key to weight loss, not exercise. Exercise just gives you an excuse to eat more calories, and tones your muscles and whatnot. Calories in vs. calories out is the magic bullet.
  • nitaleotta
    nitaleotta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Alternating weight training and outdoor interval sprints has done wonders for my body shape over the past 6-8 weeks. I've only lost 5 lbs but the change is noticeable in how my clothes look/fit. My waist is trimmer and my back fat is noticeably diminished. My arms are also more defined.

Edit: Oh yea, I've definitely been eating at a deficit too.