Food that contains next to no sugar at least?

Options

Replies

• Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Question. How do you think animals get diabetes? No one in their right mind would feed their animals tons of sugar- cats don't even taste sugar so they wouldn't be inclined to eat it anyway. (and DO NOT tell me it is added into their pet food. I'm a vet assistant and know that to be untrue.)

Answer: Obesity and poor diet. So just to be clear not related to consuming sugar.

Holy hell, it is scary that you are a vet tech. What do you think the primary ingredient in most cat food is? CORN. A carb, AKA sugar, a carb. Cat's are supposed to be on high protein diets. Sure Cat's get fat because of POOR DIET, and INACTIVITY. But you can bet that a cat on a grain free diet is going to be FAR healthier than a cat eating whatever comes from the cheapest shelf in a walmart pet aisle. You are not going to see an "Obese" cat on a grain free diet, that is for sure.

Heres what most people feed their cats(Note "by-product", "corn, corn, rice, cellulose"):
    Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product, salmon meal, fish meal source of oceanfish flavor), brewers dried yeast, gelatin, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, alfalfa, gelatin, phosphoric acid, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, l-lysine zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, dl-methionine, yellow 6, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, yellow 5, copper sulfate, red 40, calcium pantothenate, blue 2, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, rosemary extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

Heres what is in what I feed my cat:
    Chicken,Chicken Broth,Water,Turkey,Chicken Liver,Egg Whites,Potato Starch,Natural Flavor,Sodium Phosphate,Dried Egg,Potassium Chloride,Carrageenan,Taurine,Salt,Vitamin A Supplement,Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin(Vitamin B2),Niacin (Vitamin B3),d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
    Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),Biotin (Vitamin B7),Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),Vitamin B12 Supplement,Vitamin D3 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement,Iron Amino Acid Chelate,Zinc Amino Acid Chelate,Copper Amino Acid Chelate,Manganese Amino Acid Chelate,Potassium Iodide,Choline Chloride,Calcium Carbonatetobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product,Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Sand..... There isn't much sugar in sand.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Question. How do you think animals get diabetes? No one in their right mind would feed their animals tons of sugar- cats don't even taste sugar so they wouldn't be inclined to eat it anyway. (and DO NOT tell me it is added into their pet food. I'm a vet assistant and know that to be untrue.)

Answer: Obesity and poor diet. So just to be clear not related to consuming sugar.

Holy hell, it is scary that you are a vet tech. What do you think the primary ingredient in most cat food is? CORN. A carb, AKA sugar, a carb. Cat's are supposed to be on high protein diets. Sure Cat's get fat because of POOR DIET, and INACTIVITY. But you can bet that a cat on a grain free diet is going to be FAR healthier than a cat eating whatever comes from the cheapest shelf in a walmart pet aisle. You are not going to see an "Obese" cat on a grain free diet, that is for sure.

Heres what most people feed their cats(Note "by-product", "corn, corn, rice, cellulose"):
    Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product, salmon meal, fish meal source of oceanfish flavor), brewers dried yeast, gelatin, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, alfalfa, gelatin, phosphoric acid, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, l-lysine zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, dl-methionine, yellow 6, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, yellow 5, copper sulfate, red 40, calcium pantothenate, blue 2, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, rosemary extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

Chicken,Chicken Broth,Water,Turkey,Chicken Liver,Egg Whites,Potato Starch,Natural Flavor,Sodium Phosphate,Dried Egg,Potassium Chloride,Carrageenan,Taurine,Salt,Vitamin A Supplement,Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin(Vitamin B2),Niacin (Vitamin B3),d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
    Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),Biotin (Vitamin B7),Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),Vitamin B12 Supplement,Vitamin D3 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement,Iron Amino Acid Chelate,Zinc Amino Acid Chelate,Copper Amino Acid Chelate,Manganese Amino Acid Chelate,Potassium Iodide,Choline Chloride,Calcium Carbonatetobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product,Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product

And proteins and fats are broken down into glucose through gluconeogenesis.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Options

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, but yes, that is exactly why animals (including humans) on low carb diets do not get hypoglycemic. Our body creates its own glucose. And we can also enter the state of ketosis, where it no longer uses glucose as a fuel, and instead burns fat and ketones for energy.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If I ever find myself at a point where I'm cutting out carrots for any reason beyond that they taste bad it's time to give up and just stay fat. Seriously.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, but yes, that is exactly why animals (including humans) on low carb diets do not get hypoglycemic. Our body creates its own glucose. And we can also enter the state of ketosis, where it no longer uses glucose as a fuel, and instead burns fat and ketones for energy.

Don't really know where this argument is going, nor do I care ... Just wanted to say: Humans are not cats ... Cats have different nutritional requirements than humans ... Just thought I'd point that out ...
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/01/18/sugar-in-pet-treats-and-pet-food-lead-to-obesity.aspx
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg0621425632348.html
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/?page=badingredients
    http://www.petobesityprevention.com/kibble-crack-–-vet-exposes-sugary-secret-of-pet-treats/

Yeah ok. I'll take crappy pet websites information over the very expensive, extensive training I undertook.

I understand that because of the STRONG BELIEFS on this subject that any proof is scoffed at and thrown out by the court of the very opinionated but let me assure you that this information is listed as the ingredients on the websites by the makers of these dog foods and dog treat products, and this was just a brief search. Or if you are still in doubt, you could go to your local pet food store and do some hands on research for yourself providing that would be good enough for the court of the very opinionated.

http://www.beneful.com/Products/Dry-Dog-Food/Healthy-Smile/ (Sugar listed as 12th ingredient)
    http://kibblesnbits.com/Varieties/Original/#Ingredients (Corn Syrup aka Sugar listed as 6th ingredient)
    http://www.hillspet.com/products/sd-canine-fruity-snack-bananas-and-oatmeal-treats.html (Cane Molasses aka Sugar listed as 8th ingredient)
    http://www.hillspet.com/products/sd-canine-jerky-snacks-with-real-beef-treats.html (Dextrose aka Corn Sugar listed as 6th ingredient and Molasses aka Sugar listed as 10th ingredient)
    http://www.hillspet.com/products/sd-canine-jerky-snacks-with-real-chicken-treats.html (Same as above)

"Yeah ok. I'll take crappy pet websites information over the very expensive, extensive training I undertook." Ahem......You might want to ask for a refund.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ummm...what was the topic? Pet food?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I'm always fascinated by the twists and turns that MFP threads take-it's better than reality tv :laugh:
  • Jay_Jay_
    Options

This thread is now about pictures of our pets.

CY7Tpbn.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I suppose. Trying to prove that cats and dogs get diabetes because of sugar, which be proxy proves humans get diabetes because of sugar.

Meanwhile my great grandmother is as slim as she's ever been, isn't diabetic, and eats more sugar than I do (My grammy has been counting calories since before counting calories was cool, btw. It's almost like even though she likes sweets she keeps it within a reasonable calorie amount and thus doesn't gain weight.)
  • Jay_Jay_
    Options

I suppose. Trying to prove that cats and dogs get diabetes because of sugar, which be proxy proves humans get diabetes because of sugar.

Meanwhile my great grandmother is as slim as she's ever been, isn't diabetic, and eats more sugar than I do (My grammy has been counting calories since before counting calories was cool, btw. It's almost like even though she likes sweets she keeps it within a reasonable calorie amount and thus doesn't gain weight.)

Yep! They are healthier. And I bet your grandma grew up eating home cooked meals on a cast iron that was covered in 50 layers of bacon grease. Prior to world war 2, corn and grains were secondary to meat and vegetables. There is a reason that this generation will be the first to under-live their parents.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    People are so freaking mean on this site. You guys are all forgetting that eating foods high in sugar all day long can do a hell of a lot of **** to your teeth for a start. I've got a cavity right now because even though I brushed my teeth three times a day I ate lots of sugary foods IN BETWEEN brushing my teeth (fruit, cereal bars, jello, frozen yogurt, dried fruit, etc - not even stuff like chocolate and cookies!). You might not need to eat a low sugar diet to help lose weight but people might choose to do it for other reasons and it's their prerogative to do so. God almighty the amount of people on here berating you for your choices.. now I remember why I don't usually go on the forums.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

What I proved is that someone with "very expensive, extensive training" doesn't always have a clue and should be careful on the "knowledge" that he/she tries to impart on others. And at the very least might consider doing some "research" before putting out blatantly false information.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    try eggs , egg whites , lentils, beans of any kind, hummus, almonds or any nut besides peanuts if you can have them , seeds , most veggies are low in sugar, low fat cheeses:)
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Your suggestions make sense and I'm glad it worked for you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    People are so freaking mean on this site. You guys are all forgetting that eating foods high in sugar all day long can do a hell of a lot of **** to your teeth for a start. I've got a cavity right now because even though I brushed my teeth three times a day I ate lots of sugary foods IN BETWEEN brushing my teeth (fruit, cereal bars, jello, frozen yogurt, dried fruit, etc - not even stuff like chocolate and cookies!). You might not need to eat a low sugar diet to help lose weight but people might choose to do it for other reasons and it's their prerogative to do so. God almighty the amount of people on here berating you for your choices.. now I remember why I don't usually go on the forums.

Actually, potato chips are worse as they get stuck in your teeth more.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yep! They are healthier. And I bet your grandma grew up eating home cooked meals on a cast iron that was covered in 50 layers of bacon grease. Prior to world war 2, corn and grains were secondary to meat and vegetables. There is a reason that this generation will be the first to under-live their parents.

My grandma also did not have a car when she was growing up.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Sand..... There isn't much sugar in sand.

This is just not true, sand is just granulated rock and therefore has been processed and we all know that anything processed has tons of sugar added to it. :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Oh Please..... My Grandmother cooked with a bucket of lard by the stove I will give you that much but she had Ice cream in the fridge, Archway cookies and White Bread on the table, She made Scratch made pancakes in a crock and scratch made syrup in a sauce pan with Karo corn syrup and brown sugar several times a week for breakfast (because EVERYONE wanted those pancakes and scratch made syrup), she made homemade pudding (you know the kind you cook on the stove and when it cools it gets that layer of yummy goodness on top), She fed my dad and her family this way daily, worked 3 jobs as did my grandfather and the women lived to 97, Grandpa was 91.... Her generation lived through the great depression and I guarantee they ate whatever the could provide cause it was either that or starve.... If anyone in this generation dies before there parents it has more to do with stuffing their face beyond there calorie needs and refusing to get the arses off the couch and get in some exercise period.....