Thoughts on pepper spray?

Options
I run at odd hours and although I live and run in a decent neighborhood I know I couldn't outrun an attacker. Have thought about pepper spray but am concerned that it could be used against me and/or what could happen if my toddler got a a hold of it somehow. If anyone has any experience with pepper spray I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think it is an offensive weapon which could, as you say, be used against you and tthe perosn who turns it round on you may be unhinged enough to empty the whole can and kill you.

Well you did ask.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, it has its place, but it also has its limitations.
    Pepper spray requires you to get it into the eyes of the attacker to work best. That can be problematic for a number of reasons, being approached from behind, wind, rain, etc. There is also a high chance of cross contamination, meaning, you spray the attacker and end up with some of it in your eyes. It is not fun, at all and it can put you in danger if you disable yourself. This is part of the reason why law enforcement training requires officers to be sprayed.
    Also consider that pepper spray is not 100% effective, even if used in the ideal scenerio. It often is not effective for people under the influence or goal oriented people.
    Bottomline, if you do use it, make sure you don't rely on it soley, have a back up plan.

I personally would not'/do not use it.
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Carrying pepper spray is illegal here but I do have marker spray for cycling to and from work. Its not meant to disable the attacker but it stains clothes and skin so the police can easily identify the culprit. May be something else to consider.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Lots of collateral damage.

In some places, you have to be licensed to buy or carry it.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Really? I could care less wether it was legal or not. It's my safety and life that may be in jeopardy. If somebody messes with me while I'm running, they'll learn to not do it again!

To all the posters above me that think it's wrong to defend yourself against an attacker....... good luck!
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Really? I could care less wether it was legal or not. It's my safety and life that may be in jeopardy. If somebody messes with me while I'm running, they'll learn to not do it again!

To all the posters above me that think it's wrong to defend yourself against an attacker....... good luck!

Defend yes. To use something which may kill (look up positional asphixia) the opponent; no. There are far more effective and less Injurious methods which will not end up with you facing a possible manslaughter charge.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Defend yes. To use something which may kill (look up positional asphixia) the opponent; no. There are far more effective and less Injurious methods which will not end up with you facing a possible manslaughter charge.

The chance of death due to oc spray is pretty rare. If you were using it to defend yourself and death occurred a manslaughter charge would be an awfully hard one to prove.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Take the time to pull a weapon on an attacker? You may fumble it in the panic and use it on yourself? Or have it taken off of you?

Best bet is to kick someone in the nuts (hard) and run off. It's a weapon that always on you and ready to go at a moments notice.
  • 2RobD
    2RobD Posts: 33
    Options
    belly holster and a small .380 auto works well too:smile:
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options

THIS. I'm in complete agreement.
  • yogicarl
    Options

The chance of death due to oc spray is pretty rare. If you were using it to defend yourself and death occurred a manslaughter charge would be an awfully hard one to prove.

- but the fact that it has happened (plenty on the internet) means i would not be my first defense of choice.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would use it and I would treat it like I would anything else that's dangerous for my child to have. I'd just keep it out of my child's reach.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've thought of pepper spray myself. We have a lot in my family that have concealed gun permits and use them, though I myself don't (someday I may get to it). If you're unsure/nervous, I'd say the first thing you can do is take a self-defense class. There's a heck of a lot you can do with your elbow to the face or knee to the nuts! Vary where you run so creepers don't have you on an easy schedule. Keep your cell phone (and have your family know where you are). You don't have to live in the slums to be attacked, so it's great you're thinking and planning.

ETA: when I say they "use" concealed gun permits, I hope you know I mean to actually carry sidearms on them, not using the sidearms willy-nilly ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Carrying pepper spray is illegal here but I do have marker spray for cycling to and from work. Its not meant to disable the attacker but it stains clothes and skin so the police can easily identify the culprit. May be something else to consider.

:noway: Really? You can't defend yourself but you can mark your attacker so they can have stained clothes AFTER they rape/kill you?
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My partner wants me to carry some when I walk. So we're looking into it I guess. I'm not opposed to it- I feel like if someone was seriously going to try and attack me they deserve whatever they get. I only go out in broad daylight on a fairly busy street so it's not a huge concern anyways. Honestly I should probably be more worried about getting hit by a car or attacked by a stray dog, lol. Dogs are a much bigger fear for me since I've run into an aggressive (and big) one before and had no defense- not a good feeling. I think my cousin sometimes runs with bear spray- I'm not sure what the difference is between that and pepper spray- need to do some research.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I consider it a low calorie condiment so I don't log it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    My partner wants me to carry some when I walk. So we're looking into it I guess. I'm not opposed to it- I feel like if someone was seriously going to try and attack me they deserve whatever they get. I only go out in broad daylight on a fairly busy street so it's not a huge concern anyways. Honestly I should probably be more worried about getting hit by a car or attacked by a stray dog, lol. Dogs are a much bigger fear for me since I've run into an aggressive (and big) one before and had no defense- not a good feeling. I think my cousin sometimes runs with bear spray- I'm not sure what the difference is between that and pepper spray- need to do some research.

Bear spray is not as strong. Both work great for dogs and you don't even really need to hit them, just spraying it will likely deter them.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is illegal here but bear spray (bought at any army surplus) is not and I'd have no problem using it on someone. My only concern is that the wind be going the wrong way and I"m not able to use it how I intend, or worse I use it on myself. I wish we could concealed carry in Canada, I'd just pull out my gun LOL

ETA I think someone posted a funny pic of running shorts with a spot for a gun that made me giggle. I wouldn't run with a gun for real, too heavy :P
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I consider it a low calorie condiment so I don't log it.

hahahaha, brilliant.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    http://www.mace.com/mace-pepper-spray-gel/compact-pocketable-mace-pepper-spray/mace-triple-action-pocket.html

The link about is what I carry in my pocket when I run --- I have my house key attached to it. I never used to carry it until a group of kids started chasing me and one of them tried to take my cell phone out of my hand. I only run at night.

I did make sure that it is legal in my state before ordering this specific one - that way, should I ever have to use it, I cannot get in trouble for using an illegal weapon.