Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Pastries alone haven't caused the obesity crisis. You may not agree with her career choice, but if she's your friend, support and congratulate her. If you don't want to eat her pastries, everyone else should also respect your decision. But I if I never eat a pastry again in my life, I'll be miserable.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyahnn6QfA1r5t3iw.gif

This is coming from a girl who's currently looking into going to pastry school herself. Just cause you're on a diet doesn't mean people can't indulge once in a while on great food they love. What about birthday cake or wedding cake? Bakers do those and if everyone had the mentality you do, everyone would have to eat packaged stuff...which is probably worse for heath in my honest opinion because at least food from a bakery is made with real ingredients. It's like rolling your eyes at a person for becoming a mechanic because he puts cars on the road for all the drunk and reckless drivers. She's not stuffing chocolate into people and making them fat, people are doing that themselves. I get your point of view but I don't agree with it at all and if someone told me they disagree with me following my dream because it makes people fat.....I'd throw a cupcake at them.....but I'm aggressive that way.

Honey, I already went to school. What he means is that I just got offered a position in a restaurant.

Trust me, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. It cost me $26,000+interest and there are so many self-taught chefs out there now. You can teach yourself. Just think about it. If I could do it over again, I would never have gone to culinary school.

I wouldn't be doing full culinary school, I have a school where I live (Quebec) they teach specific training for pastry making so it would be just learning the basic techniques behind pastry and baking. It's a one year program and it's not NEARLY as expensive as culinary school. However, I may or may not be doing that cause I just discovered I might have a slight allergy to dairy..which is not a good allergy for a pastry chef to have. We'll see where the wind takes me. Might have to self teach. I bet your food is Kick *ss though. :tongue:

I went to culinary school and completed the Baking & Pastry program (10 months). You don't have to do the full culinary with savory. So I paid that much JUST for baking and pastry. It's a lot of money for something you can teach yourself. Just so you're aware. :flowerforyou:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation I’m currently facing and I don’t know what to do.

So I have a friend who announced that she was moving into a new profession. SHE IS BECOMING A GOURMET PASTRY CHEF!

So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. What’s next, should I congratulate the Marlboro man on the new gourmet cigarette brand he is coming out with? I just think it’s wrong for someone to knowingly provide sugar laden treats to others knowing the harm it causes. And even worse, these are gourmet treats which people are likely to eat even more of!

I don’t know. If it were me, I don’t think I would be able to live with myself if I knew I would be harming people like this long term. They are throwing her a going away party in a few weeks and she is going to be providing a sampling of her work for us. I’m still undecided if I should attend with these concerns. I’m not sure what kind of message that will be sending ya know?

What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics?

I understand your point, but don't agree completely. Most people who overeat on baked goods, desserts and sweet stuff do not do so on gourmet items. Most of the time it is fairly inexpensive store bought stuff, or home baked, because that is what the average person in most countries can afford.
    For example, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but want at least one portion of a delicious cake for my birthday in December. I have been looking around, because I want one of those small 1-2 portion " individual " cakes. Preferably real Black Forest torte.
    I can get a 1.75 kilo ( almost four pounds ) Black Forest cake at my local ( normal ) pastry shop or at Walmart for around 285.-pesos/ 25.- US$, or I can get a " gourmet " that weighs 215grs/7oz for 89.-pesos/ 7.50 US$ , which is a very big difference. I am going for the quality over quantity, but could honestly not do that if I ate cake every week or even more frequently.
    How do you feel about all the other people who work in the chain of food and drinks supply ( from farmer to delivery truck ) ? Going by your philosophy they all contribute to an obese world.....because we can also get overweight on beer, soft drinks, potato chips or even " healthy " organic food.
    For me it is not those people who contribute to the problem of obesity, but it's the consumers themselves. Isn't it up to us to decide how much we eat ? I personally would be happy for any friend of mine who would find a career that fulfills them and makes them happy as long as it is not illegal. How I deal with what they produce I feel is entirely up to me....unless of course they tie me down on a chair and stuff my face with gourmet food against my will....:o).
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ease up on your friend and just be glad that she found something she is passionate about because these days its so hard to find a career path that actually makes you happy. Yes, obesity is becoming more apparent in the world and that is because people dont have self control and they choose to indulge in unhealthy foods repeatedly instead of once in a while. Even though she is making sweets daily it is peoples choice to accept or deny them.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I 100% believe in personal accountability. Ronald McDonald dealing his Big Mac "crack" on every corner didn't make me fat, I did that all by myself. The idea that someone who cooks delicious food (no, I am not including McD in that category) is somehow immoral or unethical is completely ridiculous. Lack of self-control is on the individual who chooses to gorge themselves and no one else.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America.

If this isn't a troll thread, you suck as a friend.

Seriously.

If it is a troll thread, congratulations, you hooked me good.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Also, Pop Tarts arent pastry!!!

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

There are pumpkin pie Pop Tarts?! :love:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    m85pp1o.gif

^This. Immoral and unethical.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

Sugar Cookie????

Oh hells yes.

You might like these too

gingpop01.png

that should be 12 toaster "pastries"
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Too Glam to give a Damn
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

2cd19a55-0fb5-4b02-aeb8-5989202f3e6e_zps0e002baf.jpg

Only at my house, in my town :wink:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

This is what's immoral. Buying up all the pumpkin poptarts and not letting anyone else have them.
  • BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I enjoy dessert here and there.

You have a choice on what goes on in your mouth.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I 100% believe in personal accountability. Ronald McDonald dealing his Big Mac "crack" on every corner didn't make me fat, I did that all by myself. The idea that someone who cooks delicious food (no, I am not including McD in that category) is somehow immoral or unethical is completely ridiculous. Lack of self-control is on the individual who chooses to gorge themselves and no one else.
    What about the lack of self control of the person who chose to bake it in the first place?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation I’m currently facing and I don’t know what to do.

So I have a friend who announced that she was moving into a new profession. SHE IS BECOMING A GOURMET PASTRY CHEF!

So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. What’s next, should I congratulate the Marlboro man on the new gourmet cigarette brand he is coming out with? I just think it’s wrong for someone to knowingly provide sugar laden treats to others knowing the harm it causes. And even worse, these are gourmet treats which people are likely to eat even more of!

I don’t know. If it were me, I don’t think I would be able to live with myself if I knew I would be harming people like this long term. They are throwing her a going away party in a few weeks and she is going to be providing a sampling of her work for us. I’m still undecided if I should attend with these concerns. I’m not sure what kind of message that will be sending ya know?

What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics?

You're finding out this news in a big announcement, so she didn't discuss her decision with you until after she made her plans.
    She probably didn't think she needed your input.
    That means that the two of you are not super close, so she probably won't miss you if you don't go.

Since you can't be happy and supportive, you should stay home and not poop on her parade.
    She might have even invited you just because she thinks that you would be offended if she didn't.

You might be over-estimating something here.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    m85pp1o.gif

^This. Immoral and unethical.

also a great way to make a single serving cookie without making the whole tube....cause cookie monster cares about his health and knows all about moderation.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

This is what's immoral. Buying up all the pumpkin poptarts and not letting anyone else have them.

cage-gifs-dealwithit.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

This?

This is why you're my hero.
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you sound like a real ( ) nut job. stay out of your friends life and mind your own friggin business. it is not
    your place to police the whole damn world and you're not the first fool to think that sugar is the devil. i hope she tells you
    where to stick your carrot and your highminded uptight righteous attitude.