Pop-tarts as her birthday gift. 11 year old's request.

Options
1235»

Replies

• somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All I am getting from this thread is that pop-tarts are some kind of American delicacy overseas...:huh:
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wish we had pop-tarts in my country :( hate you "overseas people" .

I feel ya. When I lived overseas Fruit Rollups were the hot item. You had those and BAM! you ruled the school
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    All I am getting from this thread is that pop-tarts are some kind of American delicacy overseas...:huh:

coca-cola, mcdonalds, kfc, and pop tarts im dumbfounded
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think the balance of those sport/exercise equipment and pop tarts is perfect! I grew up only having pop tarts for very rare, special occasions (same with Krispy Kreme donuts). My family is very health conscious, so my birthday was the only time I could ask for these things without being refused. It's good that your daughter sees it as something special, and as a treat. Keep it that way.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Judging from her other 2 requests, sounds like she engages in physical activity/ sport! Let her eat cake! (er, um, Pop Tarts!)

This!
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nature's Path Toaster Pastries are what I get when I want "Pop Tarts."
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I say get her 2 boxes of poptarts - if they are hard to come by there, why not? it's once a year.

I don't eat pop tarts, so she can have my share - deal?

And since when is it ok for a 6 year old to have a phone or an ipad? I'm lucky I have a laptop, and that was for college. I have an ipod, that was a hand-me-down from my brother. Spoiled kids these days. I hear my coworker with her kids "no, if you're not being nice no iPad tonight" - thefuq? Seriously?

Be glad your daughter did ask for some exercise equipment, she seems to have been brought up very well rounded :smile:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You live in France ... Pastry Capitol of the world ... and your daughter wants PopTarts (which are like cardboard with icing and miniscule amount of artificial fruit goo) ... I'm confused ...
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing it right to me! She sees Pop Tarts as a treat and that's why she asked for them! I have a place I order from in the UK that ship to France if you need them quickly:

http://www.americansoda.co.uk/

They actually sell the goods manufactured in the US, rather than the European versions of items you may find in the supermarkets. Just because sometimes, we all fancy a treat from our childhood :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had to google pop tart to find out what they were, we don't have them in NZ and apparently they are a USA thing.
    How many flavours can you get?
    Myriad. And they keep adding to them.

I prefer Toaster Strudels, though.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Nope, this seems about right. Definitely a good thing that she sees them as a treat. She probably said it because she can't access them easily so a birthday is a good excuse to get them!

Food should never be called a 'treat'. If it becomes a reward or a treat, you're setting them up to use food in the wrong way later on, e.g. as a comfort or a 'reward' after a hard day, argument or any stressful/emotive situation.

A treat is not the same as a reward. A treat is a special thing we might have some times on a special occasion. A reward is like payment for doing something right.

I agree food as rewards should be avoided but...saying you should never call a food a treat? If no foods are "special"...then are all foods ok all the time? Or do you subscribe to the "I only ever eat healthy foods and never indulge in anything yummy if it's not good for me" philosophy? Is cake allowed on birthdays? Or all the time? Or never? If its only allowed on birthdays...is that not a treat?

No, it's not a 'treat', it's just birthday cake. My issue is attaching words to foods that invoke emotions which, in my opinion, gives food more importance - or more power - than it should have. Food, at the end of the day, is there to nourish us and keep us alive. Yes, some foods taste better than others and some definitely shouldn't be eaten everyday because they're bad for us.... and we call these 'treats'?

How is giving you or your child something that is bad for their health a 'treat'? I don't 'treat' my son by giving him things that will rot his teeth or damage his health. I bring him to the playground, cinema, do arts & crafts with him.... You get the picture! Don't get me wrong, he eats 'junk' and I've never banned any food because that causes more problems again, but it's 'only' chocolate/candy/pizza or whatever. It's just food. As a result, he views it that way and can take or leave it.

Edited to say sorry if I'm coming across as being a bit pedantic, it's just an issue that's very close to my heart.

This is just so silly.

Of course things like birthday cakes or lollies are treats for special occasions.

A treat is something special that you have occasionally - it can be a trip to the movies or a food item.

Seeing special foods as treats is not giving them power, it's just saying they are occasional items for special occasions, no more, no less.

OP I would give her a box of pop tarts as part of her birthday present - if it is something she she really wants, a small treat of them will make her day - it's a one-off, not a total diet plan.