IS THIS RACIST?

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    No, you were not racist. The word 'racist' is over-used and often misunderstood.

I was in much a similar situation a while ago, only it was face-to-face. Luckily for me the Jamaican person I was with told the others to stop being ridiculous, and actually got quite angry about it.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You were not being racist. I think what people were picking up, and confusing for racism was your generalisations. But since the generalisations weren't of a negative stereotype, and in context to an observation. I can't see how they were offensive. I think in general there is a lot of ignorance abound these days regarding issues of race, that any comment can and will be used against you. This doesn't help race relations. I have white colleagues who deliberately Feign faux outrage when observations of race are discussed, no matter the context. This does more harm than good. I believe it stems from resentment and ignorance. How many times have you heard "we'll if 'they' can say it/make jokes about race, then why can't we?". My answer is that you can, but context is key.

Well one way in which I could see why this comment could be seen as "negative" is that Asian women can feel under a lot of pressure from people who have such beliefs, who tell them "they're naturally skinny", when in fact they have to struggle maintaining their weights as well. It creates false expectations that can affect their self-esteem, or at least frustrate them.

Clutching at straws much?
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You were not being racist. I think what people were picking up, and confusing for racism was your generalisations. But since the generalisations weren't of a negative stereotype, and in context to an observation. I can't see how they were offensive. I think in general there is a lot of ignorance abound these days regarding issues of race, that any comment can and will be used against you. This doesn't help race relations. I have white colleagues who deliberately Feign faux outrage when observations of race are discussed, no matter the context. This does more harm than good. I believe it stems from resentment and ignorance. How many times have you heard "we'll if 'they' can say it/make jokes about race, then why can't we?". My answer is that you can, but context is key.

Well one way in which I could see why this comment could be seen as "negative" is that Asian women can feel under a lot of pressure from people who have such beliefs, who tell them "they're naturally skinny", when in fact they have to struggle maintaining their weights as well. It creates false expectations that can affect their self-esteem, or at least frustrate them.

Silly me for empathizing. I'm pretty sure if you lived among them you wouldn't feel it's a "stretch":)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, don't feel bad. I once got called a racist for saying that to me, skin color is no different than hair or eye color and I treat everyone the same regardless. People can be pretty stupid.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I do not think stating genetic differences is racist - and some of these differences do relate to health and diet- Asian people are more likely to be lactose intolerant, thalesaemia is a genetic disease usually of people of Mediterranean descent, indigenous Australians are at higher risk of diabetes.....

I don't think any of these could be taken as rascist, not sure how what you stated could either OP. even if it is factually untrue ( I don't know if it is or not)
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    rac·ism (rszm)
    n.
    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Silly me for empathizing. I'm pretty sure if you lived among them you wouldn't feel it's a "stretch":)

If I lived among 'them'? Lol
    Maybe I should set up a support group for Oriental mums who can't cope with the pressure of people thinking they are naturally thin, so turn to alcohol and subsequently walk around with red faces :)
  • saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tolerance and perception levels of people are going down. Instead of celebrating our differences we tend to be defensive.

As long as people genuinely believe that all are equal, irrespective of race, religion, region and don't FORCE our ideology on others, we are fine. The moment people try to force our beliefs on others, the trouble starts.

Don't worry about people calling you a racist. As long as your intentions are genuine (which they are, as per your post), don't worry about those judgmental people.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    A lot of people need to look up the definition of racist.

People are different, culturally and physically. Discussing these differences in a constructive way - as you appear to have done - is not racist. It only becomes so when the comments become derogatory towards the race. It's too easy a card to play simply because some people don't like or agree with the comments you are making (and this applies to other differences as well, not just race)

What makes multi-culturalism is discussing and embracing the differences. Not discussing them is what breeds the hatred and distrust of someone who is different and that's when the racism begins.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The race card has been thrown so many times that it is meaningless and about as effective as a third grader yelling, O yeah, so's your mother. Some will cry racist at the drop of a hat these days. What you said was definitely not racist.
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    Just so you know, you're exactly right about the Asian population and drinking! I'm a Public Health student and I had to take a class discussing drug use and abuse. We talk every chapter about the racial disparities in drug use. When we talked about alcohol, it came up that nearly 50% of the Asian population have decreased levels of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase which is responsible for breaking down alcohol derivatives. The absence of these will causes someone to get drunk faster.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    A woman made an observation that many Asian women seem to stay very slim even on a high carb, often greasy diet.
    I suggested that genetically, many Asians are naturally smaller framed, and that maybe they are better at metabolising the diet because through time they have become accustomed to it. This already had several people in the chat crying 'racist'.
    There are legitimate and scientifically based physiological tendencies. So no, I don't think it was racist.

Unfortunately, the way our culture is today, I still avoid those kinds of observations because I am all too aware of how some people react to it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Any time a pale complected person make any comment about a person of another color, race or ethnicity it can be construed as a racist comment. It is ridiculous.

Saw in the news the other day that a person was called racist for wearing a sombrero as part of his halloween costume. Might have to throw away all my Hawaiian shirts before I offend someone.

I never owned a slave, nor did anyone in past generations of my family. I never employed an illegal alien, nor has anyone in my family.

I find the word racist offensive and I believe we will never end racism until we stop talking about it. Eliminate checking off your ethnicity when you fill out forms. We are all the same. Dealing with all the same problems. Start looking out for others. Stop singling people out based on their differences.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm (south east) Asian and I don't find your observations racist :flowerforyou:

...but I don't get red from drinking though. Ha.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a South Asian, engaged to an English bloke, and no, you were not racist or offensive in any way. I keep telling my fiance that I need to lose weight before visiting family back home because I am considered 'fat' for Sri Lankan standards (I am considered small in the UK) and everyone comments on it. (Telling someone 'OMG, you have gained so much' and feeling their bingo wings is not considered rude there. Gets friggin annoying! lol)

What I do find offensive is when people shout 'racist' when it isn't. Had a friend who once asked me if I knew about a certain Bollywood director who had retired and another friend go 'that is racist. she is not Indian. Why would you assume she knew about the director just because she is brown skinned'. I was happy to just say 'not heard of him' to the first friend, but the second comment made me feel really uncomfortable and a little offended.

PC gone crazy!
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    You were not being racist.

Why can't we all just love each other and leave the color of ones skin out of the equation?
  • heberlonghurst
    Options
    Sumo wrestlers are also Asian.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is one big sweeping generalization. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    thats not racist.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This might not end well......
This discussion has been closed.