What was your best 5k time?

Options

Replies

• KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5k time was 25 minutes and some spare change, run about 5 years ago. I felt like my eyes were going to explode out of my head when I was done!

Now, at 35, I've just started back running after a 3 year break from rupturing two ligaments and tearing the meniscus in my right knee. I've done 5 timed 5ks over 2 months & gone from 24:01 to 22:41 with a new personal best each time. The more you do it the better you get, if I can do it anyone can!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    a beginner female is said to have an average 5k time of about 25 minutes.
    Blimey! Just as well no-one told me that, I'd never have got over the starting line! I've never got below 30 minutes, and even when I've clocked in at 40 due to a stupidly hilly route and not feeling well I haven't been the last!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    19:45
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    First one was about 31 minutes. First one after getting back into running this year was 34 minutes, and I was proud of every one. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I love about all the ParkRun stats is that gives you your age-graded percentage. This compares your time with the speed at which other people in your age range would be able to run 5k at.

So I'm 52. Only been running for a couple of years. Started Park Runs in March of this year. PB of 28.16, and I haven't got under 29 in my last few attempts. But I'm in the high 50s age-grade %-wise.

But really, any time is good, unless you're competing for an Olympic medal.
  • 1baseballmomof3
    1baseballmomof3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My oldest wanted to do a Kids Marathon (progressive running over 4 months and finishing the last mile as a group) and wanted me to run too. So, I signed up for the 5K. Never had I ever ran anywhere and was 4 months post C-section. I completed in 47.56 but was proud of myself for finishing! That was my goal!
    Now, my daughter wants to do the Kids Marathon in Feb. I think I may give the 5K another go... since it has been 4 years since the last one.
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    37:29

I am 5 foot 7 inches and 220 pounds and I can run it! If I can do it... anyone can!
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I walked in our town's Paint it Pink 5K with a breast cancer survivor who was 4 weeks post mastectomy, at her pace with frequent stops of several minutes each, in 50 minutes. I think each person is different. You shouldn't try to do what 'X' did on your next 5K, but instead beat yourself.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    16:58

LOL. Just realised you revived a thread that died in July just to post that time.... :huh:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    16:58

LOL. Just realised you revived a thread that died in July just to post that time.... :huh:

*snorts*
  • forestgump42
    Options
    My best time when I was in HS was 15:32. First split was 4:35. I am now 20 years older and have a goal. I want to set the fastest 5k time for a 45 year old male in the usa. I start my training tomorrow. I have three years to complete this goal.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the c25k and will the sign up for park run scheme - to run 5k every Saturday that I can! - i love this post! Can't wait to run 5k against self! Loving it so far and can't believe I currently can run ( albeit very slowly) for 10 minutes with a smile on my face!

Really well done for completing your 5k!
  • missashleigh92
    missashleigh92 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ive done one 5k race, walked/jogged all the way around since i didnt do much training and dont generally run. it took me 51 minutes and i was really proud of that considering im no runner. Everyones different and just completing it is a blast!
  • kjm203
    kjm203 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Young female speaking.

I did a 5km race for life race 2 years ago and ran it in 24 minutes if my memory serves me correctly. Been running ever since then but have averaged 28 minutes which is pretty average for my local sweatshop running club. Ive done a few 10km races and have come in at 56 minutesish which is also pretty average. However I know skinny fit runners who do parkrun in sub 20 minutes.
  • EL2EL1
    EL2EL1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    25 minute average? I don't think so!
    My best 5km was 35 minutes. I think I am more suited to longer distances, perhaps you are too? I can run for 21km at the same pace no dramas! You might be an endurance athlete. ????
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    My fastest 5K was 25.8. I only achieved this because a younger girl decided to push me. Odd because i did not know her.

I have not ran any since, just the 1/2 marathon where i was not really going for speed..mostly distance. It made me rethink what i am capable of though.
  • In high school as an eight grader, it was 18:47. It was so annoying because we were at high elevation and the course was hilly. But for you there is time for improvement. My first was a 34:00. Good job, keep up the work, and never give up!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My only one semi-competitive one last year was about 33:00 but it was a trail run, so half uphill,which I pretty much race walked. My running partner who is 35 and sort of a beginner but who trained for a couple of months came in at about 35:00.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    21:30 a few years ago.

Current goal is sub 20:30, followed by 18:45. I could probably beat 21:30 if I attempted one today.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've only managed to make it through 5k three times so far. Last one took me 38 min. That's a minute less than the week before. I know it's slow but I'm 20kg overweight and I darn well ran those 5k. My next goal is 35 min. And I want to do a quarter marathon next may.