What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options
Check out the morning snacks and lunches that are sent with some of my grade one students. This is not just one either...this happens everyday.
There should be a test before one can have children...Sorry if you are one of those parents reading this!

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/shartran/Lunches For My Grade One OMG/485a4a89-13ab-4dd6-8a6d-4627f8226109_zps257e9c18.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/shartran/Lunches For My Grade One OMG/52e7b896-2978-4454-96ef-8de07905d400_zps0c590dc3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/shartran/Lunches For My Grade One OMG/9a79620b-610e-4f01-ad65-da50f6760e70_zps984fea98.jpg[/img]

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My husband and I joke about that. We say we'd never pass the test because we're immature. Our kid would be the one pointing at a dog going "that's a stapler." Just out of curiosity, does the PTA ever bring up nutrition at your school? My aunt said that this happened at my old school (my cousins' current one) and they set up a little school day where they all made healthy snacks. Some of those aren't so bad though. I love Goldfishes! :D
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I allow my kids to take a snack or two for lunch including other foods. Fruits, salads, etc. There is nothing wrong to have a few processed foods in my opinion however yes you can over do it. If all your eating is 100% processed it may be a factor in other areas. Children emulate what they see. If parents are making specific choices in their menus the children will have no choice but to learn these habits. It is something my wife and I try our best to be aware of and have an assortment of different foods (whole, and processed).
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Oh noes!!!!!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with rayfu75 that processed foods every once in a while is fine. Of course you want to encourage healthy choices, but you also don't want to forbid foods. Maybe you would call me a bad parent, but my kids eat goldfish and some of those 100 calorie packs of cookies. They also eat fresh fruits, vegetables and dairy every day.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not a parent. It's always the non-parents that seem to know how to do it all right and feel quite free letting the world know exactly which way that is.

I don't see candy. I see cookies, crackers and fruit. It's a snack, not a nutrition exam.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What kind of reaction, exactly, were you expecting from a post like this?

- A fellow elementary school teacher
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Our schools have a list of approved snacks. So even if my child traded a snack , it would hopefully be a healthier snack!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Oh, how easy it is to call down from the plateau of perfection..

Tell us more, on how to raise our children, my "so called" prophet!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It is getting more common for teachers to feel that they have a right to judge students and their parents. This is one reason my husband and I will home school our kids.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    so you are taking pictures - surreptitiously, I assume? - to mock them and post them on a website where any parent could see? And then you casually throw out "sorry if you are one of those parents?"

As I see it, you aren't sorry. What you are is a bully and shame on you. You don't know these parents circumstances. You don't know how hard it is to pack a lunch for a kid who may have food challenges. You don't know these families' circumstances. It's so easy to judge from your high horse, isn't it? How is the view up there, looking down on the peons?
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My solution to this problem will ease your worries significantly:

Mind your own business....and you're a teacher; learn your grammar.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    They're raising their kids, what are you doing?
    Ohhhh that's right judging them.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Is each photo just from one lunch box, or is it from a selection?

In England most schools have a 'healthy schools' policy and you wouldn't be allowed to send your child in with loads of junk.

My 4 year old in in reception class at primary school (kids start school at 4 here) and he takes a tuna or ham sandwich and a yogurt for lunch (Greek yogurt, not those crappy sugar filled yogurts aimed at kids) and sometimes a kids' cereal bar from the Organix range. He doesn't usually finish his lunch. Kids in reception class get given a piece of fruit at break. He has a healthy breakfast of either porridge, or eggs. No need for any junk, although he does get the occasional treat like one of those mini Kinder bars.
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sorry to double whammy you on the English lesson! didn't see the first post. And at least they didn't bring a bunch of Snickers and soda pop!
  • amyrob56
    Options
    Ok I'm a bad grandma... my grandson (3) his parents, their friends and their two kids 4 & 2 are coming today to overnight at our cabin. My shopping list: soy milk boxes, juice boxes, fruit, the dreaded FUDGE goldfish IF Walmart is not SOLD OUT of them, and terrible grandpa is going to make WAFFLES for Sunday breakfast..... please do not report us to child services.... it is just one weekend. :)
  • hookilau
    Options
    post-19287-Zooey-Deschanel-sad-New-Girl-J-VhQm.gif
  • hookilau
    Options
    Just curious OP, what does the '15 weeks after treatment' mean?
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have shared custody of my son and when I have him I send him to school with cheese and crackers, yogurt, granola bars, and sometimes fresh strawberries. Depends on what I have in the cupboards and fridge. I also send a bottle of water. For the most part he gets a healthy lunch.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    wait, did you take photos of their lunch and snacks just to shame them on the internet?
This discussion has been closed.