What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• PaintedSwan
    Options
    My parents never let me eat crap like that.
    And I don't think it's right to let them either.
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

Since when is it ok to shame what a parent feeds their kids on a public message board?? :huh: :huh:
    Since they should know better.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This post just saddens me. I can't imagine someone taking my son's lunches and setting it aside daily to take pictures for purposes of their own mocking/ridicule on the INTERNET!

You my dear->parent, teacher, or whatever you are in life, need to PASS A TEST for having moral standards in life. SMH
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't think the issue here is about showing concern. The pictures and the judgemental tone was what created an issue for me.

Like I said previously, I have seen some poor snack choices. I had a student bring a cup of cake frosting for snack. However, the method that was employed by myself and my school was to teach about healthy choices - and this included foods brought in by teachers. Besides, just looking at a handful of snacks really can't tell you everything about a child's eating habits.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:
    Ha!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

Since when is it ok to shame what a parent feeds their kids on a public message board?? :huh: :huh:
    Since they should know better.

Oh you're 18... nm carry on. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In my school, no nuts (there's a peanut allergy, but no one knows that peanuts are a legume!), oranges or fish are allowed. But yeah, that looks like what's considered "healthy" food. Except that they would also include artificially sweetened crap too. It is sad. And we are all scratching our heads why people are so sick. Cuz it's not at all possible that what we eat determines health. (sarcasm)

As an educator you have every right to be concerned about the "food" the children are bringing into the school. Perhaps you should work with the administration and parent/teacher groups to effect change? BUT please don't go anti-fat. Fat from animals, avocado, nuts, etc are healthy and necessary.

The complete lack of effort put into those snacks speaks louder than words. But if the majority of MFPers are any indication, there is a complete disconnect with understanding that food affects health. People will justify and excuse what they are doing because it is too hard to acknowledge that they are doing something wrong. If they acknowledged it, then they might be tempted to do something different. That would take more time away from the tv, or whatever else it is that is more important than the health of their children.

(You won't get much agreement from most MFPers, because it's a site about ADULT weight loss/fitness, then nothing else matters.)

FIFY
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    nocupcakes.jpg
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My solution to this problem will ease your worries significantly:

Mind your own business....and you're a teacher; learn your grammar.
    Think I love you a little.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If I sent my child to school with nothing but healthy stuff it would wind up in the garbage at school because she wants to eat what the others are eating, so for me personally it would be a waste of money to pack that perfect lunch knowing that it would end up getting tossed. Kids want to fit in and that includes everything from clothes to what they eat. She eats homemade bread, homemade cookies, muffins etc and certain types of fruit when the mood strikes but if you think my kid is going to sit there and eat carrots and broccoli in front of her friends ( she is in grade 7) think again lol.
  • hookilau
    Options
    original.jpg
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know why. Kids are created to be active. Soem decades ago, they really needed energy, because personally, when I was a child, I was running and playing active games with my friends and it was the funniest way to play. Now kids mostly use their phones or PS for their leisure. Things change and I think, older people, parents, teachers should consider teaching kids to play more actively, so there wouldn't be a problem giving them Oreo's. By the way, I was eating a cinnamon bun at lunch everyday and until I was 15, I was not fat, happy, smart and curious. Don't take from the kids their sweets!
  • hookilau
    Options
    food_police_cop_gun_veggies_vegetables_e.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I don't think the issue here is about showing concern. The pictures and the judgemental tone was what created an issue for me.

Like I said previously, I have seen some poor snack choices. I had a student bring a cup of cake frosting for snack. However, the method that was employed by myself and my school was to teach about healthy choices - and this included foods brought in by teachers. Besides, just looking at a handful of snacks really can't tell you everything about a child's eating habits.

Wow, now that's a seriously wacky snack. I think everyone will agree with you on that. Also kudos for having the cojones to handle in in your school in a direct manner and with the actual people involved instead of taking passive-aggressive misguided and futile actions.
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    did i see dunkaroos in there!!!!!!!!......those were soooooo good

This was my first thought as well :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

We have an obesity problem because people consume more calories than they burn. The reason for this is multifaceted and complex, encompassing access to excess and lack of access to quality. A myriad of psychological and socioecomonic factors are at play. Your analysis is painfully short sighted and naive.

The healthfulness of one's diet doesn't the person more or less morally superior.
  • PaintedSwan
    Options
    If you're wondering why 5 yr old children are overweight,there's your answer.
    We can't just not care.This is why 35% of the population is obese and why 3 out of 4 adults will be by 2050.
    Because from what I've seen those aren't just snacks in moderation...
    That's quite a bit of junk food.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    original.jpg

Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving?
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

This^^
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

This^^

^^ lol painting title nom de plume pun.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not a parent. It's always the non-parents that seem to know how to do it all right and feel quite free letting the world know exactly which way that is.

my thought: This says it all.

(I somehow effed up the quote thing)
This discussion has been closed.