What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If you're wondering why 5 yr old children are overweight,there's your answer.
    We can't just not care.This is why 35% of the population is obese and why 3 out of 4 adults will be by 2050.
    Because from what I've seen those aren't just snacks in moderation...
    That's quite a bit of junk food.

Unbelievably, people can have snacks like those posted and not be overweight or unhealthy. You seem to have a very limited understanding of what causes obesity. It's sad, really.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to eat a doughnut and grab a coffee! All in moderation of course ;-)
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    most people can barely afford to pay the bills let alone make sure there is fresh fruit and veggies on the table every day. Some communities do not have grocery stores within walking distance for people to go to regularly which can make it hard on the pocket book and on time. So instead of judging these people why don't you see how you can help them like have a healthy school lunch program where it is very affordable to all that attend.

Another thing you can do is go to the grocery store and buy bags of apples, clementine's etc and set up a fruit basket in your class so the kids have healthy snacks to eat at least some of the time.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't think the issue here is about showing concern. The pictures and the judgemental tone was what created an issue for me.

Like I said previously, I have seen some poor snack choices. I had a student bring a cup of cake frosting for snack. However, the method that was employed by myself and my school was to teach about healthy choices - and this included foods brought in by teachers. Besides, just looking at a handful of snacks really can't tell you everything about a child's eating habits.

Wow, now that's a seriously wacky snack. I think everyone will agree with you on that. Also kudos for having the cojones to handle in in your school in a direct manner and with the actual people involved instead of taking passive-aggressive misguided and futile actions.

JoeySurprised.gif
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Their should be a test before one can have children...

"Their" should be a test before one can become a teacher...
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not a parent. It's always the non-parents that seem to know how to do it all right and feel quite free letting the world know exactly which way that is.

This explains it all.
  • hookilau
    Options
    original.jpg

Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving?

'PIEEEEEE!!!'
    tumblr_m8056ld6we1rzjlc4o1_500.gif
  • PaintedSwan
    Options
    My parents never let me eat crap like that.
    And I don't think it's right to let them either.
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

We have an obesity problem because people consume more calories than they burn. The reason for this is multifaceted and complex, encompassing access to excess and lack of access to quality. A myriad of psychological and socioecomonic factors are at play. Your analysis is painfully short sighted and naive.

The healthfulness of one's diet doesn't the person more or less morally superior.
    And why do you think that happens?hmm
    Because the food we are consuming today is physically and genetically different then the food grown in my grandparents day.
    It is true that we have an overwhelming surplus of choices when it comes to what we eat,but there is no viable reason for us to choose artificially and nutrient deficient items marketed to us from companies who,at the end of the day could care less about our health & well being.
    As to being morally superior,
    If you know the difference but still choose the opposition ,your actions speak for themselves.
  • Hestion
    Options
    nocupcakes.jpg

Please take the red circle off of this. It is a breach of cupcake rights! ;-)
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you're wondering why 5 yr old children are overweight,there's your answer.
    We can't just not care.This is why 35% of the population is obese and why 3 out of 4 adults will be by 2050.
    Because from what I've seen those aren't just snacks in moderation...
    That's quite a bit of junk food.

While I agree with you in theory, especially living in a state with a large proportion of very overweight people and a lot of them passing their habits on to their innocent kids, the OP's solution to post photos and b*tch about it just to find like-minded people who want to join her on her high horse does NOTHING to help the problem....
  • hookilau
    Options
    tumblr_m1kc74WW7U1r7e0mc.gif
  • happy_angi09
    happy_angi09 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it's strange that you're going through their lunches. Maybe you're looking for something to say about other parents. A grammar test should also be given to all teachers.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving?

'PIEEEEEE!!!'
    tumblr_m8056ld6we1rzjlc4o1_500.gif

I'm going to my mother's for Thanksgiving, and she always makes a homemade pumpkin pie from scratch. :happy:
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    We had nutella sandwiches for lunch, omg they were the best!! Of course I didn't give them to my children, not for lunch at least, just for a treat.

For lunches, I always packed a juice box or chocolate milk, sandwich and a small apple. No cookies. We baked cookies on the weekend, it was never an everyday food. I know juice boxes are loaded with sugar but they also had vitamins added. Good enough for me. Now they're 23 and 25 and drink nothing but water. I think I did a pretty good job :smile:
  • hookilau
    Options
    2805.gif
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    In my school, no nuts (there's a peanut allergy, but no one knows that peanuts are a legume!), oranges or fish are allowed. But yeah, that looks like what's considered "healthy" food. Except that they would also include artificially sweetened crap too. It is sad. And we are all scratching our heads why people are so sick. Cuz it's not at all possible that what we eat determines health. (sarcasm)

As an educator you have every right to be concerned about the "food" the children are bringing into the school. Perhaps you should work with the administration and parent/teacher groups to effect change? BUT please don't go anti-fat. Fat from animals, avocado, nuts, etc are healthy and necessary.

The complete lack of effort put into those snacks speaks louder than words. But if the majority of MFPers are any indication, there is a complete disconnect with understanding that food affects health. People will justify and excuse what they are doing because it is too hard to acknowledge that they are doing something wrong. If they acknowledged it, then they might be tempted to do something different. That would take more time away from the tv, or whatever else it is that is more important than the health of their children.

(You won't get much agreement from most MFPers, because it's a site about ADULT weight loss/fitness, then nothing else matters.)

FIFY

Quoting and then changing what was said in the quote says a lot about you.
  • hookilau
    Options
    FOX-orders-more-Bobs-Burgers-scripts_gallery_primary.jpg
  • Hestion
    Options
    We had nutella sandwiches for lunch, omg they were the best!! Of course I didn't give them to my children, not for lunch at least, just for a treat.

For lunches, I always packed a juice box or chocolate milk, sandwich and a small apple. No cookies. We baked cookies on the weekend, it was never an everyday food. I know juice boxes are loaded with sugar but they also had vitamins added. Good enough for me. Now they're 23 and 25 and drink nothing but water. I think I did a pretty good job :smile:

Because they didn't feel deprived, they were allowed things in moderation, they grew up knowing how to have a healthy relationship with food, but the question is are you a 'so called' parent for allowing them those snacks? ;-)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Apparently there should also be a test for being a judgemental prick before becoming a teacher (also, grammar much?) but it would seem the system fails on both accounts.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My parents never let me eat crap like that.
    And I don't think it's right to let them either.
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

We have an obesity problem because people consume more calories than they burn. The reason for this is multifaceted and complex, encompassing access to excess and lack of access to quality. A myriad of psychological and socioecomonic factors are at play. Your analysis is painfully short sighted and naive.

The healthfulness of one's diet doesn't the person more or less morally superior.
    And why do you think that happens?hmm
    Because the food we are consuming today is physically and genetically different then the food grown in my grandparents day.
    It is true that we have an overwhelming surplus of choices when it comes to what we eat,but there is no viable reason for us to choose artificially and nutrient deficient items marketed to us from companies who,at the end of the day could care less about our health & well being.
    As to being morally superior,
    If you know the difference but still choose the opposition ,your actions speak for themselves.

Really?

Are you aware that there is a significant portion of the population does not have access to fresh produce by virtue of where they were born and their parents' socioeconomic status? A lot of people do not have the choices that you have with regard to food -- that is called unchecked privilege. In addition, disordered eating affects people in a host of ways from under eating, to over eating, to extreme aversion. None of that has to do with GMO or marketing.

Your argument about moral superiority is painfully embarrassing.
This discussion has been closed.